Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #1

Hwy 395 California

We would like to plan a trip on Hwy 395 in the Sierra Nevadas the middle of April. We will be leaving the Tucson, AZ area around Apr 15 and taking our time. Does anyone know how the weather is in that area at that time of year? Thanks,
Sandy
smm1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a little cool in the evening, but it will be beautiful in the spring.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Once you get north of Bishop and start heading up to Mammoth the weather can be tricky, might be a beautiful ride then again you could run into some crazy weather. I used to make that trip all the time on a bike from LA to Reno and back and loved it. Mono Lake, Bridgeport all the way up to Reno is some beautiful country. I would take 44 out of Susanville and take that route to Old Station and pick up 89. At 89 and 299 is Burney Falls State Park, beautiful campground there and the falls are beautiful. From there you can get back on 299 to Alturas and pick up 395 again on up to where you want to go. If you are into movie scenes and you ever saw the movie "Stand by Me" The railroad tressle the kids walked across is next to the highway going over Lake Britton on Hwy 89. I spent my summers up there growing up and love that whole area.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your looking for a place to stay for a night or two Boulder Creek Resort is nice, clean, and friendly staff. It's just south of Lone Pine.

Home

If you like BBQ, Copper Top BBQ in Big Pine is suppose to be very good. I have never stopped there, a local LA TV station did a part about it on their news. Looked really good, I live about 250 miles from it and am thinking about taking a drive up there just to try it.

Copper Top BBQ
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I stayed in the Willow Springs Campground north of Bodie Ghost Town ( some photos from my visit) & Mono Lake on May 9, 2011 & it was 22°F most of the night. That section of 395 is around 8000'.

A nice stop a bit south of Willow Springs is The Virginia Settlement - had a great dinner there.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #6

All of the posts here are true. I live at Lake Tahoe North Shore, like at Tahoe City. With in the last few months I traveled 395 from Palm Desert to Spokane Wash. The weather is beautiful now, today. Not a breath of wind. It can be this way in April. The only thing that drives me crazy is the wind. It can be windy on the east side of the Sierras. But that is unpredictable.
rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

No one can really tell you what the April weather will be. You'll just have to watch the weather reports. I hope it's good for you. It's one of our favorite drives - absolutely gorgeous!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in Carson City, NV, and travel 395 to visit our grandson in San Diego at least two times per year. The previous poster's opinions regarding the unpredictable April weather conditions are right on. We have even experienced some 'surprises' in early May.

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast, and if there is any doubt, then depending on your ultimate destination, you might consider Hwy 95 out of Las Vegas.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #9

Although the weather can be iffy in April, you can always stay somewhere for a few days if needed until the weather clears up. The drive is well worth it and if the weather is clear a beautiful drive with many places to stay along the way. Just south of Alturas is a little place called "Likely", there is a full hook up campground a few miles off the 395. It is a nice CG, with a golf course in the middle of nowhere, but a good place to stop for a night.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for all the great information. We have decided to start this leg of our journey a couple of weeks later. We are looking forward to trying some of the restaurants suggested and visiting some if the sites mentioned.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Gosh, it's always nice when the OP returns to let us know if we helped with his question or not. Thank you! Enjoy 395!!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where are you starting? Where do you intend to end? I'm along 395, there are many places to stay and many things to do and see. So far the weather has missed us for the third year in a row...but you never know. Are you looking to dry camp, or full hookups?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

We are hoping to start at the southern end in California. We will eventually make our way to Reno, Nevada. That will be the end of our trip on Hwy 395 for this trip. We need to make our way over to Boulder, Co. after that to visit with family for a couple of weeks.

We are full timers in a 34 ft motorhome, so we can camp with or without hookups.

We will keep our eyes on the weather. Glad to hear you had a mild winter.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Make it a point to stop in Lone Pine for a couple days especially if you've enjoyed old Westerns. Many were made in the area. The visitor center will give you a map and take your towed vehicle and cruise the back rounds. Even if you don't have a 4x4 the roads are well maintained for the 'western tour'. You could also take a day trip to Death Valley.

Boulder Creek is a nice RV park to stay but there are some very nice forest service campgrounds to stay. Again, ask at the visitor center.

All the way up 395 are gorgeous forest service campgrounds. That where we've stayed. Also check out the June Lake Loop if the road is open. It's not a steep drive but it does snow in that area and that would be the reason for the road closing. The loop can be easily driven with your motorhome or your car. It's all paved. We stayed in a forest campground at June Lake.

Have a great trip. This early there will definitely be snow on the mountain tops which will be beautiful. Hope the roads are good for you. They should be.

Tags
california