Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hwy 40, Kingman, AZ to Grand Canyon, YIKES!

Just returned from a great trip from Reno to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab and back to home in Reno.
Highway 40 between Kingman and Williams, AZ is HORRIBLE!!! Huge pot holes everywhere. Most are impossible to avoid. I lost a left front hubcap but luckily didn't have any blowouts! I have NEVER seen so many shredded tires along any highway. It was truly amazing.
If you must travel this highway, slow down and be ready to have a stressful drive.
Other than that highway, it was an amazing trip!!!!
We will return to Moab and spend a lot more time. 4 nights was WAY too short.
Happy travels !!
Greg
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

It could use some work!
We took 40 East and stayed in the left lane as much as we could without getting in anyone's way.
We have a Camelot 42 KFQ, 09. There was a lot of noise on the bumps, but very little was transmitted to my chair. Don't know why!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

Went East and West in early January. Spent much of the time in left lane
Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We also used the left lane as much as we could. Lot of traffic on the day we were there so had to spend most of the time in the right lane. Rough ride !
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's been bad for at lease the last 10 years. I travel it often and use the left lane as needed.
Please send a note to ADOT about how dangerous this section of Interstate 40 is. I do it a couple of times a year, it hasn't seemed to help yet, but they do have to record and respond. If anyone ever files a lawsuit those letters may be useful. They always tell me they are working on it or there isn't money for repairs but they spend a ton of money on other roads so that excuse is bogus.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I traveled I-40 last summer and didn't think it was that bad, but then I only went as far west as Williams.

We were in Moab for a week last summer, and next time it will be substantially longer. I love that area. So much to do and great food.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote