RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

HWY 40 to Granby Colorado

What is HWY 40 like going up to Granby Colorado from 70 pulling a 40'5th wheel say in early May?

HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
What is HWY 40 like going up to Granby Colorado from 70 pulling a 40'5th wheel say in early May?
First thing is Berthoud Pass - with a 5th wheel in May might be Iffy - Check CDOT Web Page for web cams - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/defa...CameraId=11136 - I've been over in the winter with it Covered in snow - Requires you to very Attentive !!

My advice would be to go on over Eisenhower on I-70 to RT 9 North to Krimmling - https://binged.it/2PTNbZg - might be a little further but still a beautiful drive.

If you were to check the CDOT map and webcam RT 40 will work just be sure on the weather.

Hope this is of some help,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
First thing is Berthoud Pass - with a 5th wheel in May might be Iffy - Check CDOT Web Page for web cams - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/defa...CameraId=11136 - I've been over in the winter with it Covered in snow - Requires you to very Attentive !!

My advice would be to go on over Eisenhower on I-70 to RT 9 North to Krimmling - https://binged.it/2PTNbZg - might be a little further but still a beautiful drive.

If you were to check the CDOT map and webcam RT 40 will work just be sure on the weather.

Hope this is of some help,
Thanks for that. RT 9 sounds like a much better idea.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for that. RT 9 sounds like a much better idea.
Not meaning to say that it's is a bad route - as I Love It - but I love those Passes in Colorado - If the Road is dry and Clear I'd suggest, if you are comfortable on Mountain Passes, to drive it - as it is a Beautiful drive all the way to Granby.

You Tube might help -

Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

Most of the climb on 40 has a truck lane for the climb. There is also a scenic pull off on top to take a break at, plenty of parking for a rig. It's real purty, also.

Take your time going down. It's a fairly long grade. There is an info sign at the pull off on top.

But do check the weather before taking this route.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended, by the way) Berthoud Pass is at elevation 11,307'. You'll have 6 miles of 6% grade with curves.

Interstate 70 has a higher percentage of grade! Berthoud isn't bad.... in good weather. Beautiful drive.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The key, as has been suggested, is to watch the weather
Old 12-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

Thanks again for that info. While I have a few people that know Colorado here let me ask one more question. How about HWY 125 going north out of Granby, say I'm headed to Cody?
Old 12-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks again for that info. While I have a few people that know Colorado here let me ask one more question. How about HWY 125 going north out of Granby, say I'm headed to Cody?
Weather and CDOT info will still be critical for you this time of Year, as the storms that come usually come Quick and Land Hard with Deep Heavy snows that can prove more than just Interesting and Beautiful.

As I've driven most of these routes without a thought to Weather or Drivability, I just love being lost in those Rocks in Colorado, if I recall correctly this is a Beautiful drive, if you enjoy the drives in the Mountains of Colorado - IMHO they are all navigable in an RV and you just need to be aware of YOUR limits.

Along your Route there will be a couple of Highlights I'd suggest you enjoy - Snowy Range in RT 130 in the Medicine Bow Mountains - I'd Unhook and make this a day drive with a Hike along/around the Lake - very special place that is missed by most.

Next look at your route and your schedule to see about a stop in one of the Many Reservoirs along the way to Cody - Shoshoni is special as it leads to Wind River Canyon - interesting personally as it feels as if in Heading North as you are driving Up the Canyon walls that it Flows Uphill?*#?

Once in Cody you can Base in Town - at a CG - Wal*Mart - Buffalo Bill State Park - Unhook and take the time to do Chief Joseph Hwy and the Beartooth in the TV alone as these are just Memorable Areas. Many suggest the Buffalo Bill Museum as a place to spend a day or two. With Wal*Mart being here in Cody, if Yellowstone is the Next Destination, be sure to fully resuppy Here, as there is little early in the season and everything you buy once in the Park will be two to three times more for the convenience of bringing it in for you.

A few images always help to stir the interest.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...4dUDCAY&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...31.ZaVowfhp2-U

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.11zreTAZReQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=chie...h=760&dpr=1.25

Hope this Helps and does not just create a fog Weather in April and May is Critical to how and where you will drive, IMHO this is a Great Time for your Adventure.

Best of Luck,

Trip just keeps Getting BETTER!
Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the great info. As it turns out I was informed yesterday by the boss "my wife" that she wants to reverse our route for the summer which means we will be doing the areas we have been talking about in this thread in the end of July and August because we have a rally in Creede starting Sept 3rd. I guess this will take the snow issue out of play at least.
So for us in 2020 we will leave Arizona, head to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado. Then jump over to Kansas for some warrantee work and then to Arizona for the winter again.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To expand a little on Busskipper, try looking to this website for realtime informaton on Colorado Highways: https://cotrip.org/home.htm See the attachment for a picture of HWY 125 taken this morning.

It has links to highway cams and other pertinent info on highways in Colorado.

Busskipper also mentions Shoshone Reservoir. I think he meant Boysen Reservoir near Shoshone, Wy.

If it were me I would go north from Granby on CO 125, make my way to I80 in Wyoming then go west on I80 to Rawlins. From Rawlins take US287 North to Wyoming Highway 220. Along the way on WY 220 stop at Independence Rock for a small bit of US history. Take WY 220 to Casper where I would go west on US26 to Shoshone, Wy then turn right onto US20 to Thermopolis. You might want to take your swimsuit and take a dip in a hot springs in Thermopolis. Leave Thermopolis on WY 120 north to Cody.

I think you will find all these highways passable in May. Check your weather, snow can happen anytime at the higher elevations on this route. While bad weather can happen, it probably won't on the day you decide to go!

I've driven them all. I think it is a great drive with lots to see along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	270655  
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks again for all the great info. As it turns out I was informed yesterday by the boss "my wife" that she wants to reverse our route for the summer which means we will be doing the areas we have been talking about in this thread in the end of July and August because we have a rally in Creede starting Sept 3rd. I guess this will take the snow issue out of play at least.
So for us in 2020 we will leave Arizona, head to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado. Then jump over to Kansas for some warrantee work and then to Arizona for the winter again.
Thinking that will make for an Amazing display of Color after Creede - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg
- I cannot think of a better time to be in Southwest Colorado and enjoying those Aspen for the entire month of September, OMG what a treat.

While in Creede I'd suggest a day trip over Slumgullion Pass to Lake City and Possibly, if you are 4x4 toaded, the Alpine Loop. Last year the Aspen turned on the upper elevations on September 9th.

How will you head to Kansas?

Sounds like a GREAT TRIP!
Old 12-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
To expand a little on Busskipper, try looking to this website for realtime informaton on Colorado Highways: https://cotrip.org/home.htm See the attachment for a picture of HWY 125 taken this morning.

It has links to highway cams and other pertinent info on highways in Colorado.

Busskipper also mentions Shoshone Reservoir. I think he meant Boysen Reservoir near Shoshone, Wy.

If it were me I would go north from Granby on CO 125, make my way to I80 in Wyoming then go west on I80 to Rawlins. From Rawlins take US287 North to Wyoming Highway 220. Along the way on WY 220 stop at Independence Rock for a small bit of US history. Take WY 220 to Casper where I would go west on US26 to Shoshone, Wy then turn right onto US20 to Thermopolis. You might want to take your swimsuit and take a dip in a hot springs in Thermopolis. Leave Thermopolis on WY 120 north to Cody.

I think you will find all these highways passable in May. Check your weather, snow can happen anytime at the higher elevations on this route. While bad weather can happen, it probably won't on the day you decide to go!

I've driven them all. I think it is a great drive with lots to see along the way.
Thanks for the Link,

Learn something new every Day!
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Thinking that will make for an Amazing display of Color after Creede - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg
- I cannot think of a better time to be in Southwest Colorado and enjoying those Aspen for the entire month of September, OMG what a treat.

While in Creede I'd suggest a day trip over Slumgullion Pass to Lake City and Possibly, if you are 4x4 toaded, the Alpine Loop. Last year the Aspen turned on the upper elevations on September 9th.

How will you head to Kansas?

Sounds like a GREAT TRIP!
When we leave Creede we will just head through Denver and on to Junction City Kansas with no real agenda other than getting to the New Horizon factory for warrantee work. We might find someplace along the way to kill just a few days but not much. After the work is done we will use what time we have left to work our way back down to Casa Grande Arizona by November 1st.

Tags
colorado