Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hwy 550 from Montrose, CO to Durango, CO

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are planning to drive from Montrose Colorado stopping in Ouray for a few nights and then on to Durango on Hwy 550 (the Million Dollar Hwy). I know there is at least one tunnel but it is definitely a truckers route. We are driving a 45' motorhome towing a small Jeep.

We are accustomed to driving some curvy and mountainous roads but this one sounds like a challenge.

For those of you who have driven this road please let us know if we can drive it safely. All thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you so much.

Leslie & Stuart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I loved the drive 40' and toad. Don't be in a hurry, watch the shoulders, they are broken in places. we drove from Grand Junction to ALQ. Will do it again, the DW said "remember you are not in the MG" We did it in late Sep on the way to the Balloon Fiesta, both sights to behold!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are planning to drive from Montrose Colorado stopping in Ouray for a few nights and then on to Durango on Hwy 550 (the Million Dollar Hwy). I know there is at least one tunnel but it is definitely a truckers route. We are driving a 45' motorhome towing a small Jeep.

We are accustomed to driving some curvy and mountainous roads but this one sounds like a challenge.

For those of you who have driven this road please let us know if we can drive it safely. All thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you so much.

Leslie & Stuart
The road is fine - the Speed limit is 15 - 25 in any area that is an issue - so you will not hold up traffic.

I Love these drives - but that's me - I'm comfortable, owned my own Contracting Company and had a CDL for 40 years - Map - https://binged.it/2gDqdGB - Zoom in on the Hairpins - you will see if you are good or not - The CDOT is really good the roads are IMHO really well done - if not they will be restricted (RT 82 Independence pass - Less than 30') So it will depend on you - Good thing is that you are loaded with options.

During your stop in Ouray - take the drive in the Jeep it's only 85 miles, and it is a beautiful - drive you will love every time you can take it - Lizard Head is Also Beautiful and if not taken in the Coach should be Taken in the Toad.

One more Option that is not often mentioned is to head over/around to Lake City and around - little more adventure but again truly Spectacular.

Hoping you have scheduled time to Take the Jeep over the Alpine Loop - when we did it my DW said it was the "MOST SPECTACULAR DRIVE" I had ever taken her on - So much to see - might want to add another week here - as IMHO I have more fun/adventure/sites to see, in the San Juan's as YNP.

Can you drive it safely - all I can say is Many do it every day, Year round as it is open all Winter.

Take Pictures of all you do and get back with an Update.

Best of Luck,

Think I gave this to you on your other Forum. ....
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

There are many threads on this road by searching on "million dollar highway." I've been over it in a car a few times and while trucks and RV's travel it, no way would I do it in my coach.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Between Durango and Silverton is fine, but you couldn't pay me to drive a big rig between Ouray and Silverton, especially southbound where you are on the outside of a steep cliff with no guard rails. After doing it in the toad (enjoyable but required complete concentration on the road), I elected to take the big rig via Route 62 out of Ridgeway to route 145 south to Cortez, then 160 to Durango. It was not only an easy drive, the trees were gorgeous in the fall, and we spent several enjoyable hours touring Telluride before heading further south. This is a really beautiful route that you can enjoy while driving. I can't imagine enjoying the scenery on the million dollar highway because in many places if you take your eyes off the road for a second your life is in danger.

Some people will disagree. I suggest you drive it first in your toad and then decide for yourself.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

I agree totally with mrusa14! And his suggested " detour" is a fabulous drive. Southbound on the Million Dollar Hwy is not for the weak of heart! We grew up in Idaho, so are not strangers to mountain roads.
kbiladeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #7

there are several you tube videos just put "million dollar highway"
the road is not bad but the driver's on it are enough to make you turn your drivers license in. the look on their faces frozen in fear and hugging the middle line is a real joy.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for the information, now I'm really confused!!! About half of you think it's fine and half wouldn't recommend it.

I think we'll probably drive the tough section in our Jeep Cherokee while we are staying in Ouray and then we'll decide. My husband isn't concerned, he likes curvy roads.

Fun and safe travels to all of you,

Leslie
Old 09-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove it a few weeks ago. I started a thread here as did you, with similar mixed feedback. We did it without any problem or consternation. Have driven other mountain roads that we thought were worse to do.

If you have previously experienced mountain roads with tight turns, switchbacks, and limited view of oncoming traffic - you will be fine.

We were 40' towing a Jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hello everyone,

The dead is done. Yesterday Leslie and I drove the Million Dollar Highway (550) from Ouray to Durango Colorado. The drive was fun and invigorating. It is not for the faint of heart or the person with no experience with curvy mountain roads. I was laser focused with eyes on the road always. Leslie promised she wouldn’t scream and she did as promised. If you drive the speed limit there is no issues with this drive. It is times like this that I really appreciate the ISX 600 engine. Not only does it have lots of driving power it also has lots of engine breaking power.

All in all most of the route was easy driving with frequent cliffs and tight turns. It is not all difficult driving. The drive from Ouray to Silverton was a bit more challenging than Silverton to Durango. There was one construction area just south of Silverton that was very tight and unnerving.

Thank you all for your input,

Stuart