Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #15

Should be nice trip. Went to Nawlans last week. Fountainblue State Park in Mandeville was a beautiful place. No sewer hookup, but pull thru sites & just across Lake Ponchatrain from N.O. away from all the traffic ,on U.S. 190.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #16

Wyoming, MN is about 50 miles South of Hinckley, MN. I lived near Hinckley when I was very young.

Hwy 61 was the way North to Duluth. Duluth, a grand port sitting in the Western corner of the largest freshwater lake in the world: Lake Superior.

Old 61 stretches north of there, along the north shore of Lake Superior. A grand trip, along that shore: Two Harbors, Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse...those are some of the gems along the North side of old 61.

Okay. I know it has no part of your planned trip.
Just planting a seed....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-232814427.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	36482
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hello in Germany - it's about 5:30 am your time - so enjoy your morning coffee. Since your post I've been looking into this a bit. I'm starting to get hooked on the route - already hooked on the blues. I have not been on the route at all but think there has been some good advice re St Louis and probably some other major cities along the way. Probably best to bypass them - find a CG in the area and take the toad and backtrack through the route if it's something you want to see. Keep us informed of your plans.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #18

Hi Steve,

thank you. Also, the other here in the forum, many thanks for the many tips that are very helpful for us.

We are looking forward to the trip and will report here. We also have a travel diary on the Internet, where we keep all the stations. There probably is not any of you speak German, but one can also see the photos if interested.

Our website is: Uschis und Walters Reisetagebuch | we will living our dreams…

Nice sunday.

Walter
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #19

Is there perhaps in the vicinity of Route 61, so remote, locations or points of interest, you must attend?

Many thanks.

Walter
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #20

On the opposite side of the Mississippi from Memphis TN is a campground called Tom Sawyer. There are spots that sit directly on the Mississippi river and you can watch the barge traffic on the river. We have driven through there, but have not stayed, since we live in Memphis.

Things to see in Memphis - Graceland if you are an Elvis Presley fan, Beale Street if you are a music / food fan. Rondezvous is famous for BBQ - and you can get your ribs wet or dry!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #21

Why not look into the C.O.E. campgrounds along the river. Corp of engineers have really nice sites, although they run along with the railroad tracks. kind of noisy at times. But usually have great views of the river.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #22

x2 on the C.O.E. campgrounds. That stands for Corps of Engineers and are very well priced. Some have full hookups, some have water and electric, some have only electric.

I don't have any personal recommendations on COE that will be along HWY 61 though. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Walter:

There are two nice Missouri state park campgrounds north of St. Louis on route 61.
Wakonda State Park, south of La Grange, Missouri. Cuivre River State Park is north of Troy, Missouri.
There are no COE campgrounds on route 61 in North Missouri. Mark Twain Lake is a COE lake which is about 40 minutes west of highway 61 in north Missouri. There are several COE campgrounds on the lake. We can recommend all of the above. Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #24

C O E campgrounds

It seems that most corp. campgrounds are on the East side of the river in Wisconsin, and Illionos. The great river road is a really nice road with lots of waysides to pull off and view the river.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #25

Thanks for the suggestions. Who has other, they may like to share.

Incidentally, I must say that I am very sad about what happened in Boston. I think it's good when we do not stick our head in the sand and do not make us afraid of these idiots.

We will enter definitely on 01may13 in the United States. We only hope that the entry requirements are not now even sharper. It would make the wrong ...

Kind regards.
Walter
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni
Thanks for the suggestions. Who has other, they may like to share.

Incidentally, I must say that I am very sad about what happened in Boston. I think it's good when we do not stick our head in the sand and do not make us afraid of these idiots.

We will enter definitely on 01may13 in the United States. We only hope that the entry requirements are not now even sharper. It would make the wrong ...

Kind regards.
Walter
Well June has passed and it's July. Are you on the Blues highway!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #27

If you are interested in following the Mississippi River from the headwaters to the Gulf of Mexico ... the river begins in Itasca State Park near Bemidji, MN ... you can wade across the river there as it flows out of Lake Itasca ...

Read about headwaters

Highway 61 is very scenic through MN, WI, and IL ... I have driven most of those miles ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Skigramp - did a little search on them and they're here and out and about. Hopefully they're still following this thread. What a great adventure for some German visitors.

OP - hey Walter - whoo hoo!! Way to go!