Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Hwy. 82 from Gunter Hill COE to DeWayne Hayes COE

I am checking on how this road is. Every map planning website I use show this route. They also show the route to go straight through Tuscaloosa instead of taking the loop. Is this the way to go?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
There is no need to go thru Tuscaloosa. Take hwy 82 from Mont. to I-20 west, then west a few miles to Hwy43 toll road then north till you pick up 82 again, McFarland Blvd, then turn left towards Columbus. I would not take my MH thru Tuscaloosa on a bet.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
There is no need to go thru Tuscaloosa. Take hwy 82 from Mont. to I-20 west, then west a few miles to Hwy43 toll road then north till you pick up 82 again, McFarland Blvd, then turn left towards Columbus. I would not take my MH thru Tuscaloosa on a bet.
This is how the maps are showing me, but I thought it would be better to continue on Hwy 82/Hwy 6/McFarland Blvd. and go around. My mapping programs are to exclude any Toll roads and they still are showing I would take I-359 to Hwy. 43. Is this a new toll road?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Hwy 6 will take you straight into Tuscaloosa then onto 82 and you will encounter many traffic lights and at the wrong time of the day lots of traffic. 359 is better in that part of it is freeway but than it does narrow down with lights and traffic before 82. I travel that way a number of times every year on business and learned to take the 43 bypass/toll road to make it easier and faster to head towards Columbus. That toll road has been there for a number of years, it is not expensive for cars you can call for cost for MH and toad.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Take the toll road bypass from I20 to 82, much better than 359 or 82 through Tuscaloosa. 82 is mostly 4 lane to Columbus. Be cognizant of the speed limit in Gordo and Reform, they are known speed traps.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Are the toll road booths wide enough for a motorhome?
Old 04-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

There may be an open lane to go through if you are too big but not positive.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Yes. Many tractor trailer rigs go through there. I have taken a 34 ft Jayco Eagle 5W through.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

http://www.tuscaloosabypass.com. Shows a picture and you can get the rates.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
I think it's still a buck-fifty to cross the toll bridge... That's for a car. Taking 82/McFarland through town in a rig is slow, frustrating and the way we must travel from home on Lake Tuscaloosa if headed for the Interstate. Even going to fuel at the Pilot on I-59/20 can be a pain. [Love that 6¢/gal discount!]

Coming up 82 from Centreville/South/East, do this: As you're approaching T-town [at the Coca-Cola distributor], take a left onto Alabama 215 South/Greensboro Avenue to the first traffic light, Skyland Blvd. Take a left. Go to the SECOND light on Skyland, and turn right; This is the beginning of I-359. Take the Meridian exit onto I-20/59 and travel 3 miles to Exit 68, marked "Northport/Tuscaloosa Western Bypass." There's plenty of room for a rig at the toll booth and in just a few miles, you'll be back on 82 West with little traffic or scary maneuvers.

Live here. Know this.