Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #1

Hwy 83 Oklahoma to Montana

1999 Ford V10 28' Four Winds 5000 with 35K and no Toad. New tires and all systems working properly.
I'm taking my first long (6 months) trip this coming Sept. with my family. I have a couple of planned stops in North Tex. and around Lawton OK. and then plan on hitting Hwy 83 North of Amarillo, Tx. that appears to go straight North and South. I don't want to drive at night at all and I have plenty of time. I plan on driving around 200 to 300 miles a day at 55 mph. I've been using the RV Parky app and have my stops planned. My destination is Mount Rushmore, Bad Lands, Custer and then on to Glacier NP.
MY QUESTION is for those who have traveled that Hwy 83 route. Is 55 mph a reasonable speed to travel on that road seeing that it's mostly a two lane road? Are there many big semi trucks that run that route? Do you think this route is ok or would a Interstate Highway be better or safer? I would rather stay away from the big city traffic as much as possible. I've been there and done that.
taichungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Go to YouTube.com and search Highway 83 and then the state & you'll see lots of videos. A quick glance it looks like, in Kansas, anyway, that there may be lots of cattle trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hway+83+kansas
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

US 83 doesn't go to Lawton or Amarillo, but, yes, you should be able to maintain 55-65 without much difficulty. The road is a typical two-lane US highway, with a 65 mph speed limit in most states. Of course, it goes through a lot of small towns, which will impact your average speed. However, it goes through very few towns of any size, which should help your travel time.

Garden City and North Platte are probably the biggest "cities" on the route, but McCook is one of the most interesting. Downtown McCook still has brick streets, Nebraska's only Frank Lloyd Wright-designed house, and a FREE city campground with electric hookups, showers, and restrooms called Karrer Park.

Have a great trip!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #4

I prefer 287/385 I have driven 83 before, though it has been about 12 years, I think the speed limit in Oklahoma is 55 mph regardless. Consider spending the night at the Cabellas RV park by their headquarters store in Sidney, Nebraska, nice cheap laundry room if you to do laundry, only down side is they are first come first serve, no reservations, and tend to fill up as it gets close to sunset.

Both of these are mostly 2 lane highways, though for the most part lightly traveled, as of 2 years ago 287/285 was in good condition as I recall, except for a little construction in downtown Lamar, Colorado which I suspect is done by now.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the replies; that mostly answers my questions. Mostly wondering about truck traffic on 83.

I know 83 doesn't go through Amarillo; I'll hit it up North of there somewhere after my visit around Lawton, OK.

Thanks for info.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hwy 83

Have been travelling hwy.83 for 8 years from Canada down to south Texas in a motorhome and travelling between 55 to 60 miles per hour and haven't had any problems with trucks. Hwy 83 does go to Amarillo but there is a bypass around city, traffic can get heavy at rush hour times but very easy to get around city.There is some states road can get a little rough but overall it is a pretty good.As stated a few more trucks through Kansas.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichungman View Post
I'm taking my first long (6 months) trip this coming Sept. with my family.

I have a couple of planned stops in North Tex. and around Lawton OK. and then plan on hitting Hwy 83 North of Amarillo, Tx.

that appears to go straight North and South.

I don't want to drive at night at all and I have plenty of time.

I plan on driving around 200 to 300 miles a day at 55 mph.

I've been using the RV Parky app and have my stops planned.

My destination is Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Custer and then on to Glacier NP.

MY QUESTION
is for those who have traveled that Hwy 83 route. Is 55 mph a reasonable speed to travel on that road seeing that it's mostly a two lane road? Are there many big semi trucks that run that route? Do you think this route is ok or would a Interstate Highway be better or safer? I would rather stay away from the big city traffic as much as possible. I've been there and done that.
Sorry did I miss something - I've traveled on RT 287 North out of Amarillo but not RT 83 and it is fine - I'm unaware of a RT 83 out of Amarillo - Maybe you could help me out.

Another thing to keep in Mind is the Time of Year - You do understand that the SNOW starts early in Glacier, so you will have a Small/short window there after the middle of September.

One other note - IMHO most of the two lane Roads out west are fine in a Class A - with your schedule the biggest issue is the chance of an Early Winter - But you also Could be Blessed with an Indian Summer making it Perfect.

Sorry I could not be of much Help, Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

Thanks again

Thank you Bonvan and Busskipper...

I won't be going through Amarillo; I'll probably hit Hwy 83 at Wheeler Tx. and then go North. I'm comfortable at 55 to 60 in the RV so sounds like the road will work for me.

I have reservations in Yellowstone for 16th through the 22nd. so plan on being in Glacier around the 2nd, work my way around there until the 13th and then head South. It's a plan anyway; we'll see how it works out.

Thanks again
Old 03-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
It’s a beautiful time of year to visit both of those parks, and the areas in between. Hope you have a great time!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

Thanks igave

Quote:
Originally Posted by igave View Post
It’s a beautiful time of year to visit both of those parks, and the areas in between. Hope you have a great time!

I've been planning this trip for two years. I have lots of question but I'll ask them in the correct forum.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I use to take 287 from Amarillo to limon. Too much truck traffic. I have been doing 83 for years and will do it in may when I go to Montana.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 AM   #12

I'm taking my first long (6 months) trip this coming Sept. with my family.

I have a couple of planned stops in North Tex. and around Lawton OK. and then plan on hitting Hwy 83 North of Amarillo, Tx.

that appears to go straight North and South.

I don't want to drive at night at all and I have plenty of time.

I plan on driving around 200 to 300 miles a day at 55 mph.

I've been using the RV Parky app and have my stops planned.

My destination is Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Custer and then on to Glacier NP.

MY QUESTION
is for those who have traveled that Hwy 83 route. Is 55 mph a reasonable speed to travel on that road seeing that it's mostly a two lane road? Are there many big semi trucks that run that route? Do you think this route is ok or would a Interstate Highway be better or safer? I would rather stay away from the big city traffic as much as possible. I've been there and done that.

Quote:
Thank you Bonvan and Busskipper...

I won't be going through Amarillo; I'll probably hit Hwy 83 at Wheeler Tx. and then go North. I'm comfortable at 55 to 60 in the RV so sounds like the road will work for me.

I have reservations in Yellowstone for 16th through the 22nd. so plan on being in Glacier around the 2nd, work my way around there until the 13th and then head South. It's a plan anyway; we'll see how it works out.

Thanks again
Route looks fine if you are looking to stay away from the Beautiful Rockies and all the sites that you could encounter along the way. I too try to stay off the main travel routes when it works for me BUT I always try to make the Drive as good as the destinations, so take a look or just a thought on/at this route.

Map - https://binged.it/2OzTFua - while it may add a few miles it will also add a lot more Smiles along the way;

Allowing you to have the option to see/drive through some pretty Beautiful Mountains and possibly view some more great sites as you drive north.

Great Sand Dunes NP
Salida
Buena Vista
Collegiates
Independence Pass
Browns Canyon NM
Leadville
Turquoise Lake
Grand Lake/West RMNP
Kremmling
Snowy Range
Just to mention a few

Main destinations on the trip north;

Custer
Cody/ YNP
St Mary's/Glacier

I certainly am not trying to Mess up/with your plans - just as I also live so many miles away from these Beautiful Rockies - I have found that Getting into them just makes the drive/trip more enjoyable. Allowing me to stop in spots that I would not have planned on, or have made my destination in a National Park tour.

So as it appears you have given this trip some serious pre planning, I just thought I might add some more thoughts/options on how to get to the Ultimate destinations.

No matter what you decide this will likely be an Unforgettable Trip. Six Months with the Black Hills - Yellowstone - and Glacier, at the beginning is likely going to end as well as it has started, just trying to make the Drive North a Lot more Interesting.

Just a Thought,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvan View Post
Hwy 83 does go to Amarillo but there is a bypass around city, traffic can get heavy at rush hour times but very easy to get around city.
Sorry, but US 83 does not go through Amarillo. It crosses I-40 at Shamrock, Texas, 93 miles east of Amarillo. I have traveled through Amarillo since 1957 on US 287 and US 87, long before I-40 was built. And my sister has lived in Amarillo for 30 years. So, I have traveled those highways on the High Plains more times than I can remember.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

83 comes in at MM163 on I-40 at Pioneer West Museum. That is east of Amarillo.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana