RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Hwy 97 BC to California

We are leaving BC thru Osoyoos and are planning to go south on 97. Any comments, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

98evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Be prepared for snow in the mountainous regions, traffic on the interstates, and high fuel costs along the way. What part of CA are you heading for? If not the coast you might consider the inland route down to Nevada or head quickly out to the coast and drive Highway 101 to avoid snow and traffic. Depends on time and where you are headed.

SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

We are headed to desert hot springs for a few months. Our regular route has been from Sask onto I15 thru SLC and Vegas. I was thinking 97 to avoid the fires. We will be leaving end of this week.
98evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gone this way many times at all times of the year. At this time of year should be good but do have chance of some of the higher elevations. Just check weather and proceed accordingly. Approximately 600 miles from Osoyoos to Calif. border. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
Depends on time and where you are headed.
My home state is Washington and then head south before snow and ice to Las Vegas where my son lives. Full time in a MH.

It would help if you told us what kind of rig you have and where in California you are headed.

So there is all kinds of interesting places like Sun Lakes-Dry Falls State Park if you were leaving earlier.

Last year I did the Oregon coast about this time of year.

This year I came down I-5 because of visiting sisters and brothers. By Red Bluff I Had enough of traffic and headed east to US-95.

Lived in California for many year and there is a lot to see and do. I now consider it the 'no' state and RV unfriendly. The speed limit when towing 55 mph which I think is a good idea considering the traffic density.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98evo View Post
We are headed to desert hot springs for a few months. Our regular route has been from Sask onto I15 thru SLC and Vegas. I was thinking 97 to avoid the fires. We will be leaving end of this week.
Try US-95 or 395.

The best part of the US interstate system is it takes a lot of the truck off of the other roads.

Slow down and enjoy the drive.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

US97 is a beautiful drive. Once you get to WA watch for sighs and head toward Grande Coulee. Its shortens the drive and gets you somewhat out of the mountains. It does drop you onto I90 for a few miles before you get back onto 97 south. Crossing the bridge at Biggs there is a steap down and back up out of the Columbia river. Just remember this time of year central WA and OR weather can be iffy. Cold nights, generally sunny days. But you could just as easily experience snow. Bend has already had snow about a month ago.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
california