Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #15

any more i think they ask if you have room for a few guests.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #16

Just traveled from FL to AZ on I-10 with a stop at Big Bend NP in TX.

Got stopped at 2 BP stations. They asked how many in the coach, how long we were at Big Bend at one. The other on I-10 west of El Paso they just asked if we were US citizens. Told us to have a nice day and waved us on.

Answer their questions honestly, respect them and they will respect you.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I suspected it was just a quick check but being from the East, was more curious than anything.

We passed through one in our toad on route 70 from Las Cruces while heading up to the White Sands Monument. Agent just asked if we were US citizens and told us to have a good day.

I did see a bevy of cameras, maybe license plate readers on the side going in and agent was looking at some sort of display as we entered. I suspect he at least had info related to our plates as we entered.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #18

I retired from the border patrol in 1993 and things have changed a lot since then but I can tell you rarely did we feel a need to check out a motorhome or other type of RV. The checkpoints do seem to have a lot of cameras now (we didn't have any) and I suspect you are correct that they read license plate numbers for an automatic search not only for the border patrol but perhaps for DEA, Customs and probably others. Could be testing facial recognition systems? There is lot of new technology out there to try.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife LOVES the[ moderator edit ) checks . She says, are all those guys hunks? The answer seems to be..yes.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Usually they just ask me if we are citizens and wave us thru. A month ago when we passed thru they just waved us on without stopping.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We were in Vegas for a trade show Jan. 17-23. We took a day off and went to Quartzsite on the 21st. Returning back to Vegas that evening we ran into a check point on 95 between Needles & Laughlin. Lady just ask where we were coming from and our destination. Looked at both of us and waved us through.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We were in Vegas for a trade show Jan. 17-23. We took a day off and went to Quartzsite on the 21st. Returning back to Vegas that evening we ran into a check point on 95 between Needles & Laughlin. Lady just ask where we were coming from and our destination. Looked at both of us and waved us through.
Was that Border Patrol? The Nev. Highway Patrol has drunk driving checks on that stretch on a regular basis.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks for the info. I suspected it was just a quick check but being from the East, was more curious than anything.

We passed through one in our toad on route 70 from Las Cruces while heading up to the White Sands Monument. Agent just asked if we were US citizens and told us to have a good day.

I did see a bevy of cameras, maybe license plate readers on the side going in and agent was looking at some sort of display as we entered. I suspect he at least had info related to our plates as we entered.
We've gone through a bunch of them here in the SW. My impression is that the stop and the short conversation with the agent is just a pause to let the dogs complete their rounds of the MH and to let the multiple cameras, sensors, and detectors to get a read on your rig and to give them a bit of time to see if any alarms were set off.

The last one we went through must have had 10-15 different high-tech looking devices mounted on tri-pods on both sides of the MH as we went through.

I would guess that different dogs are trained not only to hit on drugs, but on multiple persons, etc. Also, I'm sure that there are a lot of secret advanced technologies that are being used to scan the rig as it goes through.

After the short interview by the agent and they wave me on through, I always sincerely thank them for their service to the US and for their efforts to keep us safe. They seem to be very appreciative of that.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All border patrol checkpoints and border checkpoints are essentially the same. If the agent tells you to do somehing. DO IT. (normally it's is Move on at state-state check points) if he asks you quesitons, or to see your ID/Paperwork, Answer TRUTHFULLY and/or produce. Remember the boarder guard has the power to make your life living hell. BUT if you are nice to him.. odds are he will pass you very swiftly and go on to his next.... Customer.. Cause sure as I'm typing, before the day is done he will be ticked off by the amount of paperwork he has to do concerning his last customer. The Idiot Jerk Violator.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Used to work the checkpoint on I-8 near Yuma.... had to wear wool dress uniforms back then (but I digress). We ask the same questions and looked for same expressions and mannerisms. When you got a smart ass you'd usually just send them on their way... unless the dog hit on them, then we'd smile and say please park over in the secondary area. That generally took the smart ass right out of them.

Oh yeah.... Border Patrol Agent is the proper title, BP Agents work between the ports of entry, Inspectors work at the ports.....calling us border guards might rate a trip to secondary.... Kidding
Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Was that Border Patrol? The Nev. Highway Patrol has drunk driving checks on that stretch on a regular basis.
The stretch of 95 that this took place was in California.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #27

Theres a border patrol checkpoint just north of Huachuca City AZ that I go through quite often since Im wintering in the area. One morning when I stopped one of their sniffing dogs began barking and carrying on over the vehicle behind me. When the officer began questioning me I blurted out I cant hear you over that damned dog barking behind me! Then I realized what Id just said and started laughing and apologized at which point he laughed too and waived me on through.

BTW while quail hunting in the area I often would stop by border patrol guys out in the field and inquire with them if theyd seen any quail in the area. They could be quite helpful.

Steve
Old 02-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Been thru the Border Patrol checks with just questions and move on. The California Fruit Police at the border were worse. Pulled us over, had me jack up the coach so they could go underneath, open all outside compartments, inside looked in drawers and cabinets. Took our 4 tangerines we had because we didn't buy them in California. A little overboard I think.

Closed Thread