Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Remember the boarder guard has the power to make your life living hell.
One time years ago in 1972 I went up to Canada on a fishing trip with my dad. My fiancé decided a day later to join us and drove up by herself through Michigan from the Chicago area. By the time she hit the US/Canada border she was tired and grumpy. When the Canadian border agent asked if she was carrying any guns Gail blurted out in a loud angry voice “DO I LOOK LIKE I CARRY A GUN!” It was the wrong response and the border agent proceeded to search her, her entire car, and her luggage. I’m surprised Gail didn’t get a body cavity search! However, he did let her through after he’d taught her a lesson in respect.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by belanga View Post
Been thru the Border Patrol checks with just questions and move on. The California Fruit Police at the border were worse. Pulled us over, had me jack up the coach so they could go underneath, open all outside compartments, inside looked in drawers and cabinets. Took our 4 tangerines we had because we didn't buy them in California. A little overboard I think.
That makes you a fruit mule. I grew up a little south of Toledo in Tiffin, keep the nasty weather there!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
While coming upon a border checkpoint in our coach we've always been waved through but when driving our tow car we've often been asked a few simple questions such as "Are you a US citizen?"

Canadian Warning:
Being a Canadian we have also been asked if we have you Canadian Passports with us but only once have we actually been asked to show them. Be aware that if you are Canadian, you are required to carry your passport with you at al times while in the US.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #32
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Unless you are traveling with Willie in the Honey Suckle Rose, they will ask if you are U. S. citizen and just wave you through.
Personal experience David?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #33

Good advice to do what the border boarder guard says. I guess a boarder guard always wants to board your motorhome (sorry, couldn't resist - don't mean to be the "Idiot Jerk" responder).

Back to the issue; way back when, crossing into Canada with our German Shepherd Dog mix, I pulled out the documentation I had been careful to get from our local vet. Unfortunately, when I got this I just folded it and placed in my wallet, and was dismayed to hand it to the guard where he read the description as "Canine". Hint: be sure you have correct and accurate documentation if you cross the border with pets. BTW, after some conversation he let us pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
All border patrol checkpoints and border checkpoints are essentially the same. If the agent tells you to do somehing. DO IT. (normally it's is Move on at state-state check points) if he asks you quesitons, or to see your ID/Paperwork, Answer TRUTHFULLY and/or produce. Remember the boarder guard has the power to make your life living hell. BUT if you are nice to him.. odds are he will pass you very swiftly and go on to his next.... Customer.. Cause sure as I'm typing, before the day is done he will be ticked off by the amount of paperwork he has to do concerning his last customer. The Idiot Jerk Violator.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #34

At an internal checkpoints I'll only answer one question, "Are you a US citizen?", and nothing else.

As a US citizen you are NOT required to present any documentation or answer any question including the US citizen one although as I said I'll answer that one. No where are you going, where have you been, where do you live or anything else.

I, and you shouldn't either, never consent to a search for ANY reason no matter who is asking.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we came thru the one on I-10 east of El Paso about 3 weeks ago, the officer just waved us thru saying 'travel safely'. However, they had a family of four (two adults and two children.... one little girl clutching a stuffed animal and looking bewildered) pulled off the to side. One officer was busily searching the car (it was a nice looking Jeep Grand Cherokee) while a second had a German Shepherd going over it. I wondered just what may have caused that experience.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
At an internal checkpoints I'll only answer one question, "Are you a US citizen?", and nothing else.
I, and you shouldn't either, never consent to a search for ANY reason no matter who is asking.
That's all you should have to say, but they can detain you if you choose not to ask questions. I didn't say that it was legal, but they can and will do it... Exercising your rights does not come free as we're in a drug war.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #37

For the past couple of years in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona they only asked if we were US citizens and then upon affirmative response waved us through. However, last week just south of the corner of New Mexico Highways 80 and 9 checking northbound traffic the BP agent asked where we were going. I told him we were going the the RV park a half mile up the road. He said there must be a party going on up there as it seemed everyone one was going there, maybe we'll come up there after our shift to join in the fun, then waved us through.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
ok what if you are not a us citizen ? then what ?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Or what if you answered "Si"?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
ok what if you are not a us citizen ? then what ?
Then you need to produce your papers.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Exclamation

I will say this..... You're not "required" to answer any questions at interior border check points. BUT!!.... If you choose not to answer the generally very simple questions, like citizenship or where you're going, where you live, etc you open yourself to scrutiny.

The questions are simple but elicit responses or "tells" from bad guys the agents are trained to read. The smugglers use all manner of things to pass their loads through... including the use of families, kids, animals... whatever.

The overwhelming majority of the agents will just pass you through without a second thought, but you may get the one that has put up with smart-asses all day and you are the last straw, right or wrong!.... then you're in secondary with dogs and agents going through your coach and toad. They don't need your consent within the border zone .....Its your choice.. just saying

Those guys & gals are human just like you and me, and they have breaking points just like you and me. Give them a break.... just answer the stupid questions and have a safe trip.

Bill
former Border "Guard"
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

As a US citizen you are NOT required to present any documentation or answer any question including the US citizen one although as I said I'll answer that one. No where are you going, where have you been, where do you live or anything else.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post

I will say this..... You're not "required" to answer any questions at interior border check points. BUT!!.... If you choose not to answer the generally very simple questions, like citizenship or where you're going, where you live, etc you open yourself to scrutiny.

The questions are simple but elicit responses or "tells" from bad guys the agents are trained to read. The smugglers use all manner of things to pass their loads through... including the use of families, kids, animals... whatever.

The overwhelming majority of the agents will just pass you through without a second thought, but you may get the one that has put up with smart-asses all day and you are the last straw, right or wrong!.... then you're in secondary with dogs and agents going through your coach and toad. They don't need your consent within the border zone .....Its your choice.. just saying

Those guys & gals are human just like you and me, and they have breaking points just like you and me. Give them a break.... just answer the stupid questions and have a safe trip.

Bill
former Border "Guard"
Retired
I agree. I have nothing to hide. I talk to them nicely and when done, always thank them for their service and for helping to keep us safe. They seem to appreciate it.

Closed Thread