Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post

I will say this..... You're not "required" to answer any questions at interior border check points. BUT!!.... If you choose not to answer the generally very simple questions, like citizenship or where you're going, where you live, etc you open yourself to scrutiny.

The questions are simple but elicit responses or "tells" from bad guys the agents are trained to read. The smugglers use all manner of things to pass their loads through... including the use of families, kids, animals... whatever.

The overwhelming majority of the agents will just pass you through without a second thought, but you may get the one that has put up with smart-asses all day and you are the last straw, right or wrong!.... then you're in secondary with dogs and agents going through your coach and toad. They don't need your consent within the border zone .....Its your choice.. just saying

Those guys & gals are human just like you and me, and they have breaking points just like you and me. Give them a break.... just answer the stupid questions and have a safe trip.

Bill
former Border "Guard"
Retired
So if you dont answer questions that you are not legally required to answer, you will likely be harassed by the Border Patrol? Got it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #44

Please cite the statute or code where it says what a border patrol agent can or can't ask you and what compliance they can or cannot expect. They can ask you your US citizen status.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Likely..... Nope, Didn't say that.... but you can take it any way you'd like. Just offering helpful hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
So if you dont answer questions that you are not legally required to answer, you will likely be harassed by the Border Patrol? Got it.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Its been awhile.... but you could start with Title 8 USC.... Happy reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Please cite the statute or code where it says what a border patrol agent can or can't ask you and what compliance they can or cannot expect. They can ask you your US citizen status.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #47

What people don't realize is that Title 8 USC actually gives the Border Patrol Agents a fairly broad authority, and in many cases more than Local Law Enforcement. Their job today is a lot more involved than just the "War on Drugs". I cannot fathom why a Law Abiding Citizen would give them a hard time, or not answer any questions they ask. It's not that they are being that intrusive. A lot of the time they are just asking for dialog and have always been very polite in my experience with them both on the road and professionally.

What you also don't realize is that the depth of their questioning is directly related to either someone/something they are looking for or a current threat to US Security based on information the general public will never hear about or have access to. Now when you come rolling thru in your big fancy MH and try and play "I've got rights" and play games with them and be rude, you bet they are going to up the ante, and are within their legal rights to do so. No they are not "just harrassing' you but maybe they weren't going to ask you the whole list of questions and wave you through if they felt there was no concern but you raised their interest. The reality of our great country is 99% of the time the only people who need their rights are the criminals who make our Country an unsafe place to be at times. Just because it is an interior check point, doesn't make their job any less important.

So give them a break, answer the questions they ask, and continue on to your next stop, without the feeling that your rights have been "violated". You will enjoy your travels much more and remember and appreciate you still live in the best/safest country in the world.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
What people don't realize is that Title 8 USC actually gives the Border Patrol Agents a fairly broad authority, and in many cases more than Local Law Enforcement. Their job today is a lot more involved than just the "War on Drugs". I cannot fathom why a Law Abiding Citizen would give them a hard time, or not answer any questions they ask. It's not that they are being that intrusive. A lot of the time they are just asking for dialog and have always been very polite in my experience with them both on the road and professionally.

What you also don't realize is that the depth of their questioning is directly related to either someone/something they are looking for or a current threat to US Security based on information the general public will never hear about or have access to. Now when you come rolling thru in your big fancy MH and try and play "I've got rights" and play games with them and be rude, you bet they are going to up the ante, and are within their legal rights to do so. No they are not "just harrassing' you but maybe they weren't going to ask you the whole list of questions and wave you through if they felt there was no concern but you raised their interest. The reality of our great country is 99% of the time the only people who need their rights are the criminals who make our Country an unsafe place to be at times. Just because it is an interior check point, doesn't make their job any less important.

So give them a break, answer the questions they ask, and continue on to your next stop, without the feeling that your rights have been "violated". You will enjoy your travels much more and remember and appreciate you still live in the best/safest country in the world.
Well said. Amen.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #49
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

I also agree.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #50

I've never had any problem, the one time the officer asked me if I'd had anything to drink, I said ya I have been drinking, he said how many drinks and I said one bad coffee from the Flying J about 10 miles bad. He chuckled and said have a good day and stay away from that truck stop coffee.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Agree 100%.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post
Its been awhile.... but you could start with Title 8 USC.... Happy reading
I knew of that reference and am glad my point has been made and reinforced. Thanks!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
You can read Title 18 USC 287 (and Title 8 235) but then if you really want to know the authority or limitations they have you'll have to start looking at court decisions up to and including the Supreme Court to see what limitations were added and or where the courts felt they were within or exceeding the authority they seem to have. I retired from the Border Patrol in 1993 so do not have an up to date feeling for the limits of authority but I do know I won't do anything to upset them at a checkpoint - within 125 miles of a US border. Most often it is generally good morning (or afternoon) officer, yes, we are US citizens, no, nobody else is in the vehicle. They say have a good day or something similar.

During my 28 year career I've seen RV's, trucks, boats (and other things, even caskets & hearses) on trailers, hitch hikers, old people, young people, children and animals used for smuggling. I think they do a good job working with the guidelines they have. I'm pretty pleased when they wave me through. If they ask me an "oddball" question I'll answer it. That said they most often do not have a right to enter an RV - if they wanted to enter mine I'd ask for a supervisor and hear the reason why (probable cause) Just my thoughts.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the backup Guys, I was hoping not to get into OIs and court decisions.

Bill
Old 03-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
That said they most often do not have a right to enter an RV - if they wanted to enter mine I'd ask for a supervisor and hear the reason why (probable cause) Just my thoughts.

Some folks are just a little thick headed. Maybe multiple thought processes are a problem for them. An RV can be a domicile, subject to needing a search warrant. Yep, when sewer hose, water hose and electrical are connected. When not connected rolling down the road, they are just another vehicle.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a side note, every time we go through a Border Patrol checkpoint, I cant help but wonder at all the money spent on building and manning these stations, and stopping thousands of vehicles per day, and only occasionally finding someone transporting illegals, when ICE could go into any meat packing plant and many other businesses in Iowa, and find hundreds of illegals.
Closed Thread