Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I-10 Border Patrol Checkpoints

First time traveling I-10 in SW US. I saw an eastbound Border Patrol checkpoint in Texas. What are those of us traveling in RV's expected to do? Show ID, vehicle registration, etc? Do they search your RV?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
The officer brings you to a stop and looks up at you and asks, "Is there anybody else in the motorhome?" You answer accordingly.

For us, there was nobody else back there, and that is how we answered.

He waved us through. Nothing else.

PS. There were a lot of dogs being walked in and out of the lanes of traffic, sniffing this and that.

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just pull up to the agent and do what they ask.
we normally just get waved through.
once they asked where we were coming from.

Just dont tell them your in a hurry to deliver a load of weed

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have always been waved through in the coach. In the toad, have been ask some questions.
Never much else.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Anytime you are within 150 miles of the international border anywhere you are considered by law to be "in the border area" and CBP can stop you and investigate. The stations you go through along the hiway generally only ask if you are US citizens. Just answer appropriately and you are on your way. If its the fruit and AG inspection crossing into Calif them they might look things over because you are in an RV and may have food stuffs they don't like.
This is unlike in Baja or mainland Mexico where the Federal stops along the hiway WILL go through everything looking for drugs. Never had a problem there either but then again I don't transport drugs (even legal ones from Colorado). Never have , never will. BYW DON'T BRING A GUN TO MEXICO!
If you have one onboard bury it in the desert until you return, like my neighbor did last year.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
First time traveling I-10 in SW US. I saw an eastbound Border Patrol checkpoint in Texas. What are those of us traveling in RV's expected to do? Show ID, vehicle registration, etc? Do they search your RV?
With them being warned of your arrival, they will have you get out of the coach and either spread eagle on the ground or have you face the coach and have your hands placed on the side, legs spread. The wife will be doing the same thing on the other side of the coach. At this point, they bring in the drug dog to search the coach. They will remove your clothing from the closet and probably turn the pockets inside out. In checking the refer for banned fruits and veggies, the agents have been known to use the contraband to make a sandwich especially if it is close to lunch or dinner time. In the bathroom, it is possible the toothpaste tube might be squirted in the sink, just covering all bases. Just to make sure you are really who you say you are, some questions might be asked of you and the wife such as what was the name of your first grade teacher, or what was the name of your kindergarten school. Could also ask what the color of the house you first lived in.

Don't worry about it, it is a piece of cake.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ran into one years ago. Stopped, they asked how many, where from and waved us through.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Truth be told, they're just looking for donuts

Loving the Beaver!
Jason, Sherri, Christian, & Wheeler (Golden Retriever)
2008 Beaver Contessa Huntington CAT C9 400hp FMCA f25478 S4
Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Personally I find the donut holes to be better than the donuts.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
simple like everyone said
they ask are you a citizen of the US
you answer accordingly
they wave you past...sometimes they chit chat and let the puppy walk around the rig. i usually just wait and chit chat back.
we come up from south texas and they do the dog checks on almost every thing they have time for

once they asked if anyone was in the coach ...I said my wife and pointed to my right and smiled. then my pup stuck her nose out the window to say hi
its not that they are picking on you....they are looking for stuff that is not legal.
most are very friendly and polite, at least to us they are
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We were asked a few questions, they walked a drug sniffing dog around the RV and let us go. It's nothing to worry about.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
If they were worried about Illegals being here Illegally they would be loading Bus Loads at all Home Depots ...JMO
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #13
I have passed through 100s of Border Patrol checkpoints.
I let them do whatever they want to do when I am stopped at their stop sign.
Usually they have waved me through after their dog sniffs around the outside of my coach.
Sometimes they ask where I was coming from and sometimes they simply wave me through.
Twice they have boarded my coach and looked around.
'96 Safari
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Unless you are traveling with Willie in the Honey Suckle Rose, they will ask if you are U. S. citizen and just wave you through.

2014 Entegra Cornerstone 45K, Spartan K3 Chassis,
Cummins ISX 600HP, Allison 4000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
Closed Thread