Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Don (W5IT)
Posted November 18, 2007 02:41 PM
I don't know how many of yall know there was a natural gas well blow near here. It is actually between the Ramah exit and Whiskey Bay exit on I-10. (Well about 50 yards from I-10 on the elevated portion) I-10 was and is still shut down from I-49 to LA 415) two exits West from the Mississippi Bridge)

"Link to news story"

I got called around 15:00 hrs (3pm Sandy) Friday with a request from the West Baton Rouge Sheriffs Office to help with traffic control. I was 10-8 (In service) at 16:00 hrs (4pm Sandy) in route to WBR. Did 16 hours Friday night and another 16 hours last night. (Deputy Don does it again)

I saw SO DANG many wrecks from folks with no patience that were too good to follow the flow of traffic than you can imagine. Two L O N G nights....

Thanks for the info Don.

Please be safe and awake out there, its getting worst everywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #2

Yep, it's a mess. Now it looks like it will be Wed. at best before I-10 will be re-opened. We were at a rally in Rayne, La and had to use US90 thru Morgan City to get home, not a big problem for us, just farther and more traffic lights. If headed east or west using I-10 to I-12 to I-10 expect serious delays when detoured to US190. If your plan is to go west then north on I-49 to Alexandria and Shreveport, best bet is to get on La-1 @ Erwinville then thru New Roads and Marksville then on to Alexandria and I-49.
Dave
Dave

MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well count on delays for a while, projections are it will be closed until the first week of December now.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DON: Can you give us any insight as to why "they" feel it is necessary to close BOTH bridges? Thanks, ED
Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ed the well is less than a hundred yards from the West bound lanes. It is on elevated section between Gross Tete and Whiskey bay.

With it being unstable there is a chance of it either flareing higher and getting too close to the travel lanes for safety. Or it blowing out the flames, but still spewing gas and distillate. If that happens when it re-ignites you have one BIG BOOM! That would not be too pleasant to folks vehicles passing the site at the time.

Add to it folks rubbernecking would without a doubt cause a ton of wrecks even if they did open just the East bound lanes. Which would further complicate matters. (Safety of travelers too)

The roadway itself is not and has not been compermised. I have passed the site several times going to or from the Whiskey Bay exit. (Man the exit to insure folks do not go around the baricades)

I took some pictures for my C.O. so he and other brass could see how close the site is to the interstate. But as with all pictures taken while on duty I am not at liberty to share them to the public. But take my word for it, it is closer than how it appears on the TV and print news pictures.

I would not want MY family driving past it. I do not lollygagg around when I go past it in my unit. I also did not waste ANY time getting the pictures either!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I-10 Reopens Tonight

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 05:36 PM CST

After nearly two weeks of dealing with detours, Louisiana drivers will be pleased to hear that I-10 reopened tonight at 7:00.

State police opened the stretch of Interstate 10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge that had been closed since Nov. 15 because of a natural gas well blowout.

Troopers and highway worked to remove cones and barricades in anticipation of allowing traffic through on both directions at 7p.m. Sunday.

The State Police Emergency Services Unit reports the well has been secured and all remaining gases are being sent to a flare. LSP ESU personnel have conducted "air monitoring" and consider the area safe to for drivers. The air monitoring will also be conducted throughout the night by the ESU to ensure conditions do not change.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Well Thanks Don it is folks and stuff like this that make and keep this the BEST RV SITE OUT THERE!! I also checked out the pic of the tanning Boston, it looks like a very nice place if you don't mind telling where is it ??
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by AL:
I also checked out the pic of the tanning Boston, it looks like a very nice place if you don't mind telling where is it ??
Al it was at Emerald Beach RV park. "Here is a link to their Web site" .
Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Don, thanks for the quick reply and the web link ! It is saved in my Favorites, and maybe I will check them out while down in Fl this winter!