RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Your gonna LOVE I-10 E thru Louisiana!!!!!! Make sure everything loose is packed away, tied down and tighten ur seatbelt!!!!

There arenít many roads in US that can compare to this one.....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
There is about 15-20 miles of narrow lanes with concrete K rails along the lanes just west of Beaumont,TX as of last weekend. There is also construction going on in the Lake Charles, LA, with more starting in a couple of weeks, and yet more going on the next few years. I would strongly consider taking I-20 instead of I-10 and driving down US Hwy 49 in Mississippi, it will only add about 20 miles to your total drive.
Completely agree with the I-20 suggestion. Drove from FL to Houston in Oct. Never again!!! It's just a bad road for RVs.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I would go Las Vegas to Kingman. I-40 to Amarillo. US 287 to Decatur, Tx. US 380 to Denton, Tx. I-35E to 635 loop to I-20 to Shreveport. I-49 to I-12 to I-10. If you do I-10 construction around San Antonio. I would go straight through Houston on I-10. Construction close to La line. One lane on bridge on I-210 loop at lake Charles. I do both ways several times a year in a 42' mh towing a Jeep.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #18

Just came across I-10. We were in The Oaks at Point South in South Carolina, between Charleston and Savannah for 3 weeks. Left there took I-95 to Jacksonville and took I-10 all the way across the panhandle and coast to Houston, then north on 45 to Lake Conroe. Left December 5th and arrived here December 15th.
Road conditions from Pensacola to Biloxi 10 was great. Biloxi to Sulphur, La. 10 was a pain in the construction areas. Which was around Baton Rouge, Lake Charles areas especially. Road were bad on the concrete portions, but the asphalt was not bad. In the construction areas narrow lanes, and bounces you real bad. I-12 around New Orleans was good condition. On the bridge at Atchafalaya Basin Bridge the speed limit drops so be cautious on the bridge.
If you need a place to stop around Sulphur, La. look at Holbrook Park. Small county park around 12 miles north of I-10. Our RV is a toy hauler, 45 foot long and weighs 21K pounds. We fit in there. If you can get site #6 one of the lakes is 50 feet from your door.
We stayed in Biloxi at Cajun RV Park, right across from the Gulf on Beach Blvd. Nice park clean showers, restrooms. Free coffee and danishes every morning in the club house.
In Pensacola we stayed at Avalon Landing in Milton, Fl. We like the campground it is clean and quiet.

After we leave Lake Conroe on December 29th we will eventually end up in Phoenix for 2 months February and March.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #19

Several of the Calcasieu Parish parks around Lake Charles have RV sites, I think the rates are around $12 per night, in addition to Holbrook park mentioned above, there is also White Oak landing (boat ramp) north east of Lake Charles, as well as Intracoastal park in 12 miles south of Sulphur which is on the banks of the Intracoastal waterway where you can watch barge traffic go by.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Several of the Calcasieu Parish parks around Lake Charles have RV sites, I think the rates are around $12 per night, in addition to Holbrook park mentioned above, there is also White Oak landing (boat ramp) north east of Lake Charles, as well as Intracoastal park in 12 miles south of Sulphur which is on the banks of the Intracoastal waterway where you can watch barge traffic go by.
The other people at Holbrook Park also told us to try Intracoastal, they said the same as you, about the tugs moving the barges. Yes it was only $12/night.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #21

I will be travelling down that way in about 10 days and would like to avoid I 10 West. I have considered using Rte 190 from Baton Rouge west to near Beaumont. Has anyone traveled this route. I know it will take me through many towns and take longer but it has to be better than I 10. I traveled I 10 last year and have had enough of it through LA.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #22
Btm

I-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezehead View Post
Thatís all I need to know, I will avoid I-10 between Houston and Pensacola. Thankfully I have the time to avoid that route. Thanks everyone!
I will never again drive on I-10 East from Houston until TX and LA finish construction and fix the sections of bad road that they are not even working on. This probably won't happen in my lifetime.

I live in central Texas, not far from I-10. I drive almost 100 miles out of my way to get up to I-20 East. Then all the way on it to Jackson or Meridian, then South to Mobile and on to Pensacola. There are many ways East out of Vegas to get to I-20 in Texas, so I doubt using I-20 will add miles for your trip. I-20 from West Fort Worth to the East side of Dallas has the typical heavy traffic at the AM an PM, but is not so bad that I avoid it. I-20 East of Dallas has some rough ares, but not as bad as I-10.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Btm
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #23

The highway you are referring to is probably US 190 to where it turns and co-runs north with Hwy 171 at Ragley, then you would continue straight onto LA 12, then TX 12 until it meets I-10 in Vidor TX. I have driven the LA12 / TX 12 section of this road as recently as last weekend, there are a few speed trap towns to watch out for closer to Baton Rouge, historically Krotz Springs comes to mind as one. You will also see some traffic delay passing though Opelousus, and to a lesser degree Eunice, the other towns you will pass through are 2-3 traffic light small towns with minimal delay.

As to condition I have only driven random short sections of this highway 190 east of Ragley in the last couple of years (I drove the section from Elton to Eunice in my coach within the last year for example), and as I recall it was fair overall, but not great.

LA12 is overall good, except for a couple of miles around the town of DeQuincy which is at best fair, though the last 10 or so miles before reaching Texas is very good having just recently been repaved. After crossing into Texas TX12 is also a good road, though is in the early stages of being widened in the last 10 or so miles leading into Vidor, with right of way being widened and construction starting to effect a short distance of the shoulder on the east bound lane.

p.s. if you take Hwy 190 north where it co-runs with Hwy 171 to DeRidder and follow it west to the Texas State line, the pavement is somewhere between poor and awful for the last 15 miles leading up to the Texas state line, at which point it gets comparatively much better, though still only what I would call fair to good throughout east Texas.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
The other people at Holbrook Park also told us to try Intracoastal, they said the same as you, about the tugs moving the barges. Yes it was only $12/night.

We are attending a FMCA rally in Fredericksburg the middle of January so weíre not going I-40, after reading everyoneís reports regarding I-10, Iíve decided to go 190 and hook up with I-12 around Baton Rouge. I have four days to get from Fredericksburg to the Blue Angel Recreation Center in Pensacola so all should be good. Thanks everyone for your input, Iím sure glad I asked!
Cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #25

I live in SW Louisiana and have been to or through Fredericksburg in my coach 3 times in the last 2 years, trying variations on the route, and this is the one I would suggest.

Fredericksburg to Austin on US290, merge with Hwy 71 and continue to Bastrop (alternatively 290-281 at Johnson City -71 as 71 on the west side of Austin is a better road, but more miles). Stop at Buc-ee's in Bastrop it is a big one with over 100 fuel pumps, get fuel if needed, park, go inside and experience Buc-ee's if you have not done so. Then continue on Hwy 21 to where it meets back with US290 and continue on 290 to Brenham (if you need a short break, consider doing the Blue Bell Ice cream visitor center, they should have ample parking in the overflow lot on the north side of the visitor center). From Brenham take TX105 to Beaumont, TX 105 is a good road overall, much of it 4 or more lanes, just expect a little traffic congestion around Conroe depending on the time of day, take a short hop on I-10 across town, then TX12, LA12, and US 190 to Baton Rouge.

p.s. if you had more time to kill, I might suggest an even more northern route through Natchez, Mississippi mostly following hwy 84 / 98 to Mobile, Al.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #26

Thank's Issac-1 that is the info I need. I have dealt with I-10 the past two years and do not want to go across it with the new Trailer. I"m coming from the north down I-55 and will connect with 190 near Baton Rouge and then LA. and Tx 12 to Beaumont. I'm riding on fair roads all the time but nothing as bad as I-10 through LA. Heading to the Rio Grande Valley.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #27

Depending on how far north you are coming in from, I might suggest taking US 84 from Brookhave, MS across to Archie, LA (a caution light with a gas station), LA 28 across Louisiana to Leesville, then US 171 down to LA 12, and on across. Mileage would be about the same as going on down to Baton Rouge, but much less city traffic to deal with. LA28 is a good road, only potential slow down to speak of is Leesville, which is 4 lane on US171 through town, but has a narrow left lane, and tends to slow down at afternoon rush hour causing about a 20-30 min delay.

Possibly even taking US 190 west out of DeRidder, LA (though it does get rough for a few miles west of DeRidder) to either Livingston or Huntsville, and then cut over to taking TX 105 across to around Navasota or Brenham on the west side of Houston, it is slower going, but mostly good roads, and lets you avoid the intense traffic around the center of Houston.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #28

Thank's Isaac-1 for the options. I'll keep them in mind while choosing a route. I've seen some other options. I just know I want to avoid I-10 through LA. at all costs.