RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #29

Hi! Isaac-1 I was wrong about my Southern route. I will be coming down I-59 at least to Meridian Ms. Do you have any idea of rt 84 from Laurel Ms. over to Brookhaven.

CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of construction at Lake Charles LA. on I10. Take the 210 loop & go around the city. It puts you out at I10 east just East of the city.
Houston still has the SanJacinto river bridge @ I10 east & west with reduced lanes. A loose barge struck the bridge during the Imelda flood & damaged the bridge supports.
Stop by Buckees just east of Houston on I10 & top off your tank. Fuel is usually 15 cents less a gallon than anywhere else. We live here in S?E Texas
Mikee

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #31

It has been a 3 years since I have driven 84 across Mississippi at that time it was a good road. As to Lake Charles the i210 Bridge just reopened a couple of weeks ago, though they will be starting a new lane widening project west of the 210 bridge in the next few weeks
Old 12-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
Stop by Buckees just east of Houston on I10 & top off your tank. Fuel is usually 15 cents less a gallon than anywhere else. We live here in S?E Texas
Mikee
Also one just west of 99, west of Houston, recently opened.

But I honestly donít get the hate for I-10 through Houston. Well to the east and into Louisiana, the road is a physical mess. But the highway through Houston is in great shape, with marked lanes which help with unfamiliarity. Stay in the second from the right lane, as the right lane comes and goes. Heavy traffic and many lanes, but thatís just big city stuff. And much easier to drive through than NYC, which is my old neighborhood.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #33

When leaving FL we plan to go I 10 to Mobile then 45 to Meridian, then over to Jackson and 55 north. We have not gone this way before. Is 45 ok for the 135 miles were on it? Plan is to end up in MN for the summer. Thanks for your thoughts, and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
When leaving FL we plan to go I 10 to Mobile then 45 to Meridian, then over to Jackson and 55 north. We have not gone this way before. Is 45 ok for the 135 miles were on it? Plan is to end up in MN for the summer. Thanks for your thoughts, and Merry Christmas to all.

I took 45 from Tupelo to I-10 at Mobile last year, once outside of the Mobile congestion the road was great. 4 lanes and light traffic, I would look forward to driving in again and there are PA parks along the way as well as diesel fuel. Happy trails and New Year too!
Cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Just drove I-10 westbound from Jacksonville, FL to Palm Springs, CA a few weeks ago. I-10 through Louisiana was pretty good, except for a few places in Lake Charles, and getting through Baton Rouge. I did not take I-12 as we spent a few days in New Orleans. Again, that section of I-10 was not that bad compared to Texas. From the Texas border to Junction, Texas was friggin miserable. The Texas DOT must be the biggest bunch of idiots in the country. At least 45% of the miles in that section were under construction, and the concrete barriers were so close-in that the drive was terrifying. I have over 40K miles on my coach including 2 trips to Alaska and that may be the worst I've ever experienced. In many places the barriers were on both sides so there were no shoulders at all on either side. I tried to use the Sam Houston to avoid Houston traffic, but that construction is so pervasive that exits are closed, and it's very hard to find how to get back on the freeway. Thankfully that will be last time driving in Texas.
Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drove it last Sunday

Just came from Austin to Tallahassee eastbound last Sunday on the way home. Caught I-10 west of Houston in Columbus TX and ran all the way to Tallahassee. I'd say the majority of 10 in TX outside of both sides of Houston is in some form of construction. I did Houston at 7:30 am eastbound on Sunday so drove right through town no problemo- at any other time I'd have done the outer bypass (Sam Houston).

I-10 is not a particularly fun drive in these parts but it is tolerable. The DW was having panic attacks because of the construction walls and barriers so close to the drive lanes and at some points things got a wee bit bumpy. But it didn't seem too bad to me and speeds were great all the way. The road was much more enjoyable east of Baton Rouge on 12, but the traffic that Sunday was a bit heavy all day due to Christmas I guess.

We did the southern loop around Lake Charles as they had just reopened it and it was much better than the run over the bridge through town on 10.

On our westbound run to Austin a week earlier I tried TX 105 through Conroe from Beaumont to Austin. Was't as good as I had hoped. Too much stop and go around Conroe and it took a lot longer. Next time I'll stick to 10 and the bypass around Houston if I hit it at a busy hour.

I recently did the run from Austin to west Georgia using the I-20 corridor. Not ever doing that again due to the pathetic condition of the interstate through Shreveport. I think I still have parts missing that fell off the rig on that section of road
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Just came from Austin to Tallahassee eastbound last Sunday on the way home. Caught I-10 west of Houston in Columbus TX and ran all the way to Tallahassee. I'd say the majority of 10 in TX outside of both sides of Houston is in some form of construction. I did Houston at 7:30 am eastbound on Sunday so drove right through town no problemo- at any other time I'd have done the outer bypass (Sam Houston).

I-10 is not a particularly fun drive in these parts but it is tolerable. The DW was having panic attacks because of the construction walls and barriers so close to the drive lanes and at some points things got a wee bit bumpy. But it didn't seem too bad to me and speeds were great all the way. The road was much more enjoyable east of Baton Rouge on 12, but the traffic that Sunday was a bit heavy all day due to Christmas I guess.

We did the southern loop around Lake Charles as they had just reopened it and it was much better than the run over the bridge through town on 10.

On our westbound run to Austin a week earlier I tried TX 105 through Conroe from Beaumont to Austin. Was't as good as I had hoped. Too much stop and go around Conroe and it took a lot longer. Next time I'll stick to 10 and the bypass around Houston if I hit it at a busy hour.

I recently did the run from Austin to west Georgia using the I-20 corridor. Not ever doing that again due to the pathetic condition of the interstate through Shreveport. I think I still have parts missing that fell off the rig on that section of road

Yea, I did I-20 westbound across Louisiana in early December of 2017. It was pretty much terrible the whole way, but the stretch across Bossier City was the worst road conditions of any interstate not under construction that Iíve ever experienced. Close second is about a 10 mile section of I-10W in western New Mexico.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I've taken US 45 up Jackson, TN and worked my way over to MO on I-155. Jackson is a bit fiddley to get through but it sure beats going through that mess called Memphis.

Lots of different ways do get there from here(FL). Pretty much all of them beat droning up I-75, I-65(or I-39).

MO has some decent boondocking opportunities along the Mississippi though most tend to flood during high water.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #39

The Louisiana DOT web page has announced that they will be starting a project to improve pavement condition on I-20 around Shreveport in the near future, so this may be better in a year or two.

As to TX105 around Conroe, I taken this route over the years, and even advocated use of it on here, however due to growth in the greater Houston area, I am not sure how much longer this will be a viable route, due to both the increase in traffic and the increase in number of traffic lights. I had driven this route off and on over the years, typically once or twice per year over the last 5-6 years, and it seems for the last few years that each time I drive it there are 2-3 new traffic lights along the route.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The Louisiana DOT web page has announced that they will be starting a project to improve pavement condition on I-20 around Shreveport in the near future, so this may be better in a year or two.
True that improvements to SOME of I-20 have been announced, but the worst part through Bossier City doesn't appear to be on that schedule. They announced plans in 2012 to rebuild that section but it's still on hold. In a couple of years the trip across LA on I-20 should be better, but the 220 loop might be the better route for a long time to come.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #41

Thankfully living about 140 miles south of Shreveport I have very little cause to ever drive on those few miles of interstate 20, as I will tend to intercept it at an angle either east of west of there.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #42

We just drove l-10/l-12 west from Pensacola,Fl to Lafayette,LA. The roads were actually pretty good. Only hit a little construction about 10 miles East of Lafayette. Luckily we’re heading North on l-49.

BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote