RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

I-10 East

Merry Christmas everyone! Weíll be heading east from Las Vegas after Christmas on our way to SW Florida and are wondering how construction is coming on I-10 between Houston and the I-12 by pass around New Orleans? Iím driving a 35í DP towing and have plans to stop over in Pensacola for a week in January. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!

Cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled through Houston on I-10 in November. We were going west, but assume it would be the same. It was truly the worst “highway” I have ever driven on with the RV. Worse than Chicago, worse than Atlanta.

There is a new toll road from Katy east of Houston that goes way north and drops down on the far side of the city: TX-99. We didn’t take it because it went so far north. But after driving 10 I would take it if I had to do it all over again.

The I-12 bypass was fine. No problems there for us.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We traveled through Houston on I-10 in November. We were going west, but assume it would be the same. It was truly the worst ďhighwayĒ I have ever driven on with the RV. Worse than Chicago, worse than Atlanta.

There is a new toll road from Katy east of Houston that goes way north and drops down on the far side of the city: TX-99. We didnít take it because it went so far north. But after driving 10 I would take it if I had to do it all over again.

The I-12 bypass was fine. No problems there for us.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

Thanks, Iíll probably take Beltway 8 and go through Houston on Sunday morning. From Houston to Baton Rouge was reportedly still under construction last summer, did you have any issues along that stretch of 10?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Yup. It is all about time of day. On a Sunday, or late night, most all highways are good. During rush hour, they all stink.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The most terrible stretch of road in the SE in my opinion. Was on that section a few weeks ago. Lots of construction, narrow lanes and very bumpy roads. Just settle in, drive slower in the right lane and make sure everything is tied down in the coach.

Wish I could avoid it but going east out of Houston your choices are limited.
david.howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #7

Cheesehead, we drove that stretch (both directions) a year ago. Absolutely miserable! In November of this year we drove it westbound only, and took the 12 bypass around NOLA. This time it was infinitesimally (meaning hardly measurable) better than last year. Just take a little extra time to stow things before you drive it (because things will rattle and shift), and it will be okay.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.howard View Post
The most terrible stretch of road in the SE in my opinion. Was on that section a few weeks ago. Lots of construction, narrow lanes and very bumpy roads. Just settle in, drive slower in the right lane and make sure everything is tied down in the coach.

Wish I could avoid it but going east out of Houston your choices are limited.

Thatís exactly what I didnít want to hear! I hate those cement construction barriers and no shoulders! I may just go up to 190 as a friend has suggested. Iíve never gone that way but if it avoids those narrow lanes on I-10 with the semis flying by I just might!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove I-10 west and from Breaux Bridge west in September, the road is not great. Over the Texas border, to Beaumont there is lots of construction. We were headed north of Houston, so we took hwy 105 at Beaumont and went west.

The road is down by one lane on each side of I-10 at the San Jacinto River bridge due to damage. You can check the TxDot website for road construction that is up to date.

Ken
Old 12-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When we went through there the worst part was the sudden and frequent lane shifts. Many times the lanes shifted onto the shoulders. You're pinned in with tight jersey barriers and the lane changes not only direction, but in some cases rolls onto a diagonal shift that is not flat across the shift.

It's like hitting a diagonal speed bump in a tight space while changing directions.

I was going slow in the right lane watching each of these. I hit one at about 40mph that literally heaved the coach from the right lane to the middle of the left hand lane. Just lucky that there was no one there.

Some times you go through these tight gaunlets with no traffic or a car next to you. Other times it's an 18-Wheeler.

Cabinets were flying open, the whole coach groaned. It's a miracle that nothing broke. I've never seen anything like it in all my travels.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We drove I-10 west and from Breaux Bridge west in September, the road is not great. Over the Texas border, to Beaumont there is lots of construction. We were headed north of Houston, so we took hwy 105 at Beaumont and went west.

The road is down by one lane on each side of I-10 at the San Jacinto River bridge due to damage. You can check the TxDot website for road construction that is up to date.

Ken

Thanks Ken, Iíll check TxDot for sure as Texas is a looong way across!
Old 12-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When we went through there the worst part was the sudden and frequent lane shifts. Many times the lanes shifted onto the shoulders. You're pinned in with tight jersey barriers and the lane changes not only direction, but in some cases rolls onto a diagonal shift that is not flat across the shift.

It's like hitting a diagonal speed bump in a tight space while changing directions.

I was going slow in the right lane watching each of these. I hit one at about 40mph that literally heaved the coach from the right lane to the middle of the left hand lane. Just lucky that there was no one there.

Some times you go through these tight gaunlets with no traffic or a car next to you. Other times it's an 18-Wheeler.

Cabinets were flying open, the whole coach groaned. It's a miracle that nothing broke. I've never seen anything like it in all my travels.

Thatís all I need to know, I will avoid I-10 between Houston and Pensacola. Thankfully I have the time to avoid that route. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #13

If you take BW-8 north around Houston, you can take US-90 East to Beaumont.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #14

There is about 15-20 miles of narrow lanes with concrete K rails along the lanes just west of Beaumont,TX as of last weekend. There is also construction going on in the Lake Charles, LA, with more starting in a couple of weeks, and yet more going on the next few years. I would strongly consider taking I-20 instead of I-10 and driving down US Hwy 49 in Mississippi, it will only add about 20 miles to your total drive.