Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

I 10 going into Houston

We are east Beaumont, TX receiving warnings about driving into Houston on I 10 due to high water, flooding and MORE rain. Is there any local knowledge you would like to share with us? We are staying at Gulf Coast RV Resort at the moment. We're thinking of getting onto 96 and heading to DFW and across, picking up I 10 near Van Horn.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is in this same mess.
Maureen Valley
Pace Arrow Vision
Leesburg, Florida
Heading to California

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't need to go to Houston why don't you take Hwy 287 all the way to IH 45. Of course you would be seeing some of the countryside by going this way.

One thing about Houston, when it rains it pours but it drains quickly. According to the weather forecasters, more of the same tomorrow.

You should be able to get all sorts of weather info on the net. Google Houston TV stations and many of them stream current weather.

Good luck and safe travels.

On edit...I reread your post. If you are going to DFW just to miss Houston don't go that far out of your way. The only problems you would have with flooding in Houston would be on the freeway feeders and side streets. The freeways will be fine. Just have enough fuel to get you through Houston so you don't have to stop.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
weather tends to run west to east I'd choose northerly as an evacuation direction.
ever been to Oklahoma or the Ozarks?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe this link will help. Houston traffic news, maps and road conditions | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

For your info and some of the other readers/posters...this storm system is part of the hurricane that came ashore in Mexico. Most always our rains (floods) come from the south (Gulf of Mexico) not from the west to east. The rain will be training south to north so going north will not necessarily be the best route for you.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
When discussing Houston drainage and flooding, we used to say that we're 50 miles inland at 50 feet elevation - for the civil engineers out there, that won't get you 1/4" per foot!

Many of our low-lying areas on the freeways (underpasses, etc.) depend on diesel-powered pumps to pump the water out during heavy rains. This afternoon, one of the pumps broke down on I-10 on the east side of downtown, and I-10 East was shut down due to flooding. Chances are that they'll have it running by morning if it's not already running.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HERE is the link to KHOU, channel 11 in Houston.

Jim is correct, this weather pattern is moving south to north and headed up to Dallas and generally all over the state. they claim the worst of it is over now. More rain Saturday and Sunday. It is fed by the circulation (now a low pressure) resulting from hurricane Alex. Lows and hurricanes rotate counter clockwise and the low is over Mexico now. The rains are being feed as the moisture is dragged from the gulf.

The I-10 flooding was on the main lanes, just east of down town. As you come into Houston, you have the choice of taking Beltway 8 which becomes the Sam Houston Tollway (take it to the north) but the tolls will be 3 or 5 plazas to get back to I-10 on the west side. Or take Loop 610 to the north and all the way to I-10 on the west side.

Once the rain stops, the water will go down pretty quickly. The problem on the east side was the pumps at an under pass were not running to relieve the water.

You should be good to go to come straight through on I-10 this weekend.

Ken
Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
According to internet news, 5 inches of rain have fallen on the Houston Area. Flash flood warnings were terminated with rain diminishing Friday evening.

Saturday is another day.

The above came from a search on "Houston street flooding" without the quotes.

Areas of Houston can be very difficult to navigate during heavy rains. Plus the possibility of hydroplaning is pretty high in that area. Once the bayous flood they have no where to go but into the streets. It is the underpasses that suffer the most. I don't believe you have to worry on the I-10, but do not deviate to side streets when it has rained hard.

Clear Creek flooded onto FM-528 during this rain period. That is an unusual occurrence, but it is well South of I-10.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #8

Thank you ALL for your quick and informative responses. You can't know how much it means. Your local knowledge and your links are proving to be most helpful. I love this forum. Best to all,
Maureen Valley