Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

I-10 Highway condition for 5th wheel towing

Hello,
I will be towing my 5th wheel from Fort Lauderdale to California.
Years ago I traveled I-10 and it was a not a smooth highway ride at all.

Has anyone recently traveled across the country on I-10? Is the highway in good/smooth condition now? Any stretches that are rough or not a smooth ride?
Thank you in advance. :-) Paula
thehappyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Arizona for the most part is good.....lots of heavy truck travel tho
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thru Louisiana was pretty bumpy the last time I traveled there. Expansion joints.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It seems all the major truck routes take a beating.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Thru Louisiana was pretty bumpy the last time I traveled there. Expansion joints.
Hello,
Would you recommend another main highway?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

I've towed my 5th wheel on that route several times is the last two years. Only bad area I recall is between the east Texas border through Houston.
landsharktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It goes by counties. Most OK, many not. Many more trucks today so if local transportation maintenance does not keep up, and state infastructure expenditure is not there roads suffer.
Texas roads being the major part of I-10 are generally good.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

Don't know where in Calif. you're going, but the 210 out around LA is terrible....beat your stuff to death....I winter from mid Oct to april in Quartzsite, Arizona. which is about 20 miles west of Blythe, Calif. on I-10
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyrver View Post
Hello,
I will be towing my 5th wheel from Fort Lauderdale to California.
Years ago I traveled I-10 and it was a not a smooth highway ride at all.

Has anyone recently traveled across the country on I-10? Is the highway in good/smooth condition now? Any stretches that are rough or not a smooth ride?
Thank you in advance. :-) Paula
Made the same trip from Fl to Ca last year. I 10 thru Louisiana might be the worst road I have ever driven. I think you would be lucky not to have tire issues, if overloaded at all. Other than that, the roads elsewhere were fine. By the way I am heading up to I 40 to go out next month, but probably come back I 10 end of Nov.When are you planning to make the trip?
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Made the same trip from Fl to Ca last year. I 10 thru Louisiana might be the worst road I have ever driven. I think you would be lucky not to have tire issues, if overloaded at all. Other than that, the roads elsewhere were fine. By the way I am heading up to I 40 to go out next month, but probably come back I 10 end of Nov.When are you planning to make the trip?
Hello,
Thanks for your response. I was wondering if I-40 would be a better route? Your thoughts on I-40 instead of taking I-10?
As for when I'm traveling. I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm still in the planning stage. In addition to route conditions research I've been researching RV GPS units (none seem to get good reviews).
Thanks in advance for your help. :-)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #11

Going out this time I-40 just because I want to see something different, I went that way 6-7 yrs ago and it was a better trip out, just depends on what you want to see! Coming back I-10 in December just to avoid Flagstaff and possible bad weather. Tends to have snow at the upper elevations that time of year. I am using a Garmin 760RV gps seems to be Ok but you need to watch how you set it up because it will make some strange routing due to truck restricted roads. I always check it in the car mode vs RV mode. If you are considering going near Dallas check with someone local the construction was a mess last year.
Good luck with your planing !
Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Two bad things that I know about I-10:
1) the idjuts that combined it with all Baton Rouge traffic to go over the Miss. river bridge... always a mess
2) west of Baton Rouge, it runs directly east - west and is asphalt... so the sun beats down on the blacktop ALL DAY and it gets HOT...
had a goodyear on my 5'er go pop just east of Lafayette La...

Depending on where your final destination is,
you could go up I-49 (great road) from Lafayette up to Shreveport and take I-20 over, but that will put you through Dallas... so your call Houston or Dallas

if you need some recommendations about rv parks between DFW and Baton rouge, I've stayed at a few of them
Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #13

I-40

Wife and I had traveled I-40 from CA to NM this spring, the mountain passage from Williams, Az west thru the mountains was horrible. Drove a class A with toad, dodging pot holes most of the way.

Last fall we drove I-10 from Palm Springs to Tuscon AZ. Some rough areas but not as bad as I-40.

I would travel I-10 if I had a choice, don't know about eastward from AZ.

Have a great trip!

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Sounds like we need some improvements to our infrastructure !! But that's a topic for a different forum��

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing