RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Americanrascal's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 613
We've used both routes when running from west of Atlanta to Austin and back on numerous occasions.

No more I-20 though for us. Yes there are a few rough spots along I-10 but the terrible condition of I-20 in Shreveport is far worse in our judgement than anything I-10 can dish out.

We're sticking with I-10
__________________

__________________
Joe a/k/a "Americanrascal"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q +tow dolly
8th RV to sit in our driveway in 35 years
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 05:06 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,304
I have always used I-10 in the past but am on I-20 right now heading east. Stopped for the night at a rest stop about 95 miles west of Vicksburg. Both 10 and 20 are a little rough but I am finding 20 has less traffic especially semi traffic. Went thru DFW early Sunday morning and had no traffic. I would take 20 again in the future.
__________________

__________________
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2011 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
TXTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 133
Thanks guys. We drove out to Albuquerque on I-10 with no RV and have NO desire to do that with an RV. So we will be going I-20 to Jackson, MS, then US-49 south to I-10.

One more question. We intend to leave in 3 days and want to go to Sedona for a week. Any suggestions on Sedona to I-20? We are thinking Sedona - Phoenix - Tuscon - Carlsbad - I-20. Or would I-40 then thru Lubbock be better? Any roads to avoid?
__________________
2015 Coachmen Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Fanukalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SW FL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Thanks guys. We drove out to Albuquerque on I-10 with no RV and have NO desire to do that with an RV. So we will be going I-20 to Jackson, MS, then US-49 south to I-10.

One more question. We intend to leave in 3 days and want to go to Sedona for a week. Any suggestions on Sedona to I-20? We are thinking Sedona - Phoenix - Tuscon - Carlsbad - I-20. Or would I-40 then thru Lubbock be better? Any roads to avoid?
Just last week left Sedona heading to Fl via I-40 took US 287 out of Amarillo cut over toward Denton then I-35E skirting Ft. Worth/ Dallas picking up I-20 SE out from Dallas. At Shreveport take I-49 Toward Baton Rouge. Now the problem is staying off I-10 and picking up I-12 East of Baton Rouge You might try cutting over on US 190 into Baton Rouge then I-110 to I-12. I hated driving I-10 into Baton Rouge (see earlier post).
Did I-8 and I-10 back from CA last year, I-40 this year was much more enjoyable IMHO.
__________________
B Sears
2016 Palazzo 36.1 2019 Dutch Star 4310
2015 jeep 4d wrangler
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Just last week left Sedona heading to Fl via I-40 took US 287 out of Amarillo cut over toward Denton then I-35E skirting Ft. Worth/ Dallas picking up I-20 SE out from Dallas. At Shreveport take I-49 Toward Baton Rouge. Now the problem is staying off I-10 and picking up I-12 East of Baton Rouge You might try cutting over on US 190 into Baton Rouge then I-110 to I-12. I hated driving I-10 into Baton Rouge (see earlier post).
Did I-8 and I-10 back from CA last year, I-40 this year was much more enjoyable IMHO.
US 190 between I-49 and I-10/12 was also a bad road when we came through in spring 2018. i'm wondering if there are ANY good roads in LA.
__________________
'73, Rich, N9DKO
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,548
Blog Entries: 21
I-10 Baton Rogue through Beaumont...not so good.
I-20, do not use I-20 through Shreveport. Take the loop to the north, It is not great but better than straight through.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Went thru DFW early Sunday morning and had no traffic.
This is a great trick if you can work it into your schedule. Another that I use is to stop for the night about 30 to 50 miles before congested metro areas, then get back on the road around 4:30 AM. I will usually drive for a few hours, then stop for breakfast and the first of my daily senior naps.
__________________
2008 Itasca 37H
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 50
Beware of I10 just before you leave Texas (East bound) near Orange, Tx. In the right hand lane with no warning is a serious hole - not even to be called a "pot hole". I suspect that it is why my RH leaf spring busted on my return from Texas. I could not change lanes due to traffic in the hammer lane so just had to hit the hole and ride it out. I love Texas highways but this one made a believer of me.
Regards,
Catfish
__________________
Teton Homes Sunrise Experience
Chebbie 4X4 dually diesel
USMC retired LDO
j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
doc
Senior Member
 
doc's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dixie !! (north Georgia) USA
Posts: 3,504
get on I-12, bypass NO and don't make that south loop on 10 thru New Orleans. Traffic is nasty.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 133
We really appreciate all the great suggestions!! After driving out to NM and passing thru lower LA, we want to avoid that area if at all possible. At this point I'm thinking about taking I-40 all the way into Memphis then I-22 > I-65 > US 231 down to I-10 just west of Tallahassee. That route will add a couple of hours but keeps me off of I-10 & 20.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
We really appreciate all the great suggestions!! After driving out to NM and passing thru lower LA, we want to avoid that area if at all possible. At this point I'm thinking about taking I-40 all the way into Memphis then I-22 > I-65 > US 231 down to I-10 just west of Tallahassee. That route will add a couple of hours but keeps me off of I-10 & 20.
if you're going to do that let me give you a suggestion that will save you a bunch of time.

take I-65 south to I-85 east at Montgomery. get off I-85 at exit 9. that will be marked US 271/TO US 231. turn right at the top of the ramp. follow US 271 for 6-7 miles. it will dead end at US 231. turn left. 231 is 4-lane all the way to I-10. you will go thru Troy, Ozark and Dothan. Dothan can be a character builder at rush hour but otherwise not bad. figure 2-hrs +/- fm Montgomery to Dothan.
if you follow I-65 to where 231 intersects south of I-85 you'll be in local stop and go traffic which will add significant time.

follow US231 thru Dothan...they call it Ross Clark Circle in Dothan. figure about an hour from Dothan to I-10. you'll go thru a few small towns in FL...watch your speed. maybe 3-hrs from I-10 to I-75.
__________________
'73, Rich, N9DKO
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if you're going to do that let me give you a suggestion that will save you a bunch of time.

take I-65 south to I-85 east at Montgomery. get off I-85 at exit 9. that will be marked US 271/TO US 231. turn right at the top of the ramp. follow US 271 for 6-7 miles. it will dead end at US 231. turn left. 231 is 4-lane all the way to I-10. you will go thru Troy, Ozark and Dothan. Dothan can be a character builder at rush hour but otherwise not bad. figure 2-hrs +/- fm Montgomery to Dothan.
if you follow I-65 to where 231 intersects south of I-85 you'll be in local stop and go traffic which will add significant time.

follow US231 thru Dothan...they call it Ross Clark Circle in Dothan. figure about an hour from Dothan to I-10. you'll go thru a few small towns in FL...watch your speed. maybe 3-hrs from I-10 to I-75.
THANKS! This is why I love iRV2.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Fanukalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SW FL
Posts: 237
rk911 made a very good suggestion. I have driven (in RV) that Montgomery to I-10/to I-75 route multiple times. Good roads but Dothan at rush hour is slow stop and go.
Enjoy your trip.
__________________
B Sears
2016 Palazzo 36.1 2019 Dutch Star 4310
2015 jeep 4d wrangler
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,930
There is construction/detours at Birmingham on 20 if that would be part of your itinerary. A bi-pass there in some manner would be a good idea. There was a recent thread here addressing that.

Steve
__________________

__________________
1994 26' Fleetwood Flair, 454 TBI.

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×