Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #1

I 10 west

Traveling west on I 10 from Arizona to L.A. My first long trip. How's the drive on I 10 ?
2015 RAM 2500 6.4 HEMI GASSER PULLING A 29 ft tt.
thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #2

Typical Interstate -----some good/some bad stretches and one long boring drive especially across TX

Old 02-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Typical Interstate -----some good/some bad stretches and one long boring drive especially across TX
Texas is not located between Ariz. and LA
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And you taught school where?
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Texas is not located between Ariz. and LA
I hope you've rethought this. And maybe looked at a map.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

I-10 west from Arizona to L.A. Aka Los Angeles most certainly does not go through Texas
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbos57 View Post
Traveling west on I 10 from Arizona to L.A. My first long trip. How's the drive on I 10 ?
2015 RAM 2500 6.4 HEMI GASSER PULLING A 29 ft tt.
thanks for your input.
rbos57
That 275 miles of I-10 is a good smooth drive.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6TAM View Post
I-10 west from Arizona to L.A. Aka Los Angeles most certainly does not go through Texas
Damn! Need to lube up my GPS again!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

TX is between AZ and LA, but Texas is not between Arizona and L.A.

Anyone from the Twin Cities would know this.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

Well,......this is a funny thread! OP says "LA" which could be the state, or did he mean L.A.? He says I-10 West (which excludes Louisiana), so lets assume it's Los Angeles (although he says his "first long trip", and PHX to L.A. is hardly a "long" trip,.....confusing.......

Since I live in both states (AZ, and CA) and have homes in both, I drive I-10 East and West VERY often. I drove I-10 East recently (early January), all the way to mid TX, and all the way to Tallahassee, FL in the past. One can say I know I-10 from Santa Monica to Tallahassee pretty well.

One of my residencies is 5 miles north of I-10 in the San Gorgonio Pass in CA (at 3000' elevation), and I can see I-10 down below from my deck.

IF traveling EAST to Louisiana, be VERY careful of NM speed traps! They put a white (unmarked) pickup in the median, and clock you just few miles from the State Line. A mile or so after the pickup, they have six-seven squad cars, and pull EVERYBODY over! It looks like a parking lot (with high fees). Scenery in NM is nice though. Driving through TX is boring as hell (as mentioned above).

IF traveling WEST to Los Angeles, the road is good and pavement almost new from Tonopah to CA State Line. Past Quartzsite scenery is pretty to the river (20 miles or so), otherwise boring. A mile from the river (on CA side) is agricultural inspection (with Border Patrol, and CHP in attendance most of the time). Out of Blythe there is a slight grade up to the prisons (on your left), and right there they have speed traps ALL THE TIME. Be careful. From the prisons to Chiriaco Summit it's mostly flat, with a slight grade 5-6 miles before the summit. Then it's downhill to Coachella Valley (CHP waiting on the downhill occasionally). Desert floor is flat off course, with lot of traffic through the desert cities.

Past Palm Springs and HWY 62, there is a Whitewater grade (pretty steep) with lots of trucks (scales are just on the other side). Downhill from Whitewater to Cabazon is very gradual,....no big deal. Past Cabazon you have couple of small grades (one in Banning, and one in from Calimesa to Yucaipa), but after Redlands, it's all flat to Santa Monica.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The abreviation for Arizona IS AZ.
AlabamaAL AlaskaAK ArizonaAZ ArkansasAR
And which twin cities are YOU talking about there are many?
If you travel west from AZ there is only Kali and water.
Unless the OP isn't sure and needs to spell state names or city names.
LEN
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #12

I just re-read the OP, and it clearly states L.A.

So I guess the other poster confused it with LA!

"Problem" solved.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #13

Thank you danielsand, great bit of info. But to just clarify something. I did say it was MY first long trip not that it was a long trip. Actually I'm driving from Las Vegas to San Diego but by passing Cajon Pass and going the southern route. Since it is my first trip of any length I am not confident enough in myself to go through the pass. I may be overthinking but for me, better safe than sorry
Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbos57 View Post
Thank you danielsand, great bit of info. But to just clarify something. I did say it was MY first long trip not that it was a long trip. Actually I'm driving from Las Vegas to San Diego but by passing Cajon Pass and going the southern route. Since it is my first trip of any length I am not confident enough in myself to go through the pass. I may be overthinking but for me, better safe than sorry

If going from Vegas to San Diego, I have a nice tip for you!

Don't go out of your way to AZ. Get on I-15 South out of Vegas. You will have couple of grades (should be easy), and when you get to the summit , look for Cima Road exit. Take that exit, and you will drive in the flat, pretty desert scenery (almost no traffic). From Cima go to Kelso, and from Kelso to Amboy (Kelbaker Rd.). In Amboy turn left, and go to Twentynine Palms (all flat - high desert). In Twentynine Palms turn right (on HWY 62), and go to Yucca Valley. In Yucca you will have LONG downhill (HWY 62) that will take you to I-10 in Palm Springs. Go West to Beaumont, and take Beaumont Ave. exit. Turn left and go to Hemet (Hwy 79). This will take you through Winchester to Temecula. In Temecula you will pick up I-15 and head South to San Diego. I'm sure you can GPS all that. Desert roads are nice, and traffic is almost nonexistent.

It's WAY faster, and easier going this way.