Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

I-15 in Utah???

We are returning to AZ from Oregon. Is I-15 in Utah better than I-5 and Hwy 99 in CA? Traveled I-5 thru CA in May and definitely don't want to return that way!! Just wondering if it's worth the extra miles to have better road in Utah??? Thx.
LDRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

We ran I-15 in Utah twice this Summer and would pick it over I-5 for sure
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

I always use I-15 over "The 5." For a scenic route leave I-15 at Exit 95 and cross over the hump (yes, it's steep) to SR-89. Then follow SR-89 all the way to Flagstaff where you'll join I-17 south. On I-17 just south of Camp Verde is another steep climb and descent. Enjoy the trip.

Knobby
Knob Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

better road,higher speed limit if you are towing and a lot more scenic.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been tentatively planning to run up I-5 in Jan, SoCal to Seattle, at the end of our x-c trip from Boston. What's the problem with I-5-- condition or traffic?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Traffic,Traffic,traffic-did I say Traffic!!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I live in the SLC area of Utah and if you want easy driving through the Wasatch Front (Ogden south through SLC to Provo) on I-15 come through on a Sunday. We always leave and return on Sundays, much less traffic.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRobert View Post
We are returning to AZ from Oregon. Is I-15 in Utah better than I-5 and Hwy 99 in CA? Traveled I-5 thru CA in May and definitely don't want to return that way!! Just wondering if it's worth the extra miles to have better road in Utah??? Thx.
Yes! Road is good and fuel is cheaper (than CA anyway).

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I've been tentatively planning to run up I-5 in Jan, SoCal to Seattle, at the end of our x-c trip from Boston. What's the problem with I-5-- condition or traffic?
We would say condition and construction. We drive it several times a year from SoCal to Auburn and the last 2 times have taken the coast, added 100 miles just to save the rig from all that shaking.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a native born,embarrased, life time Californian I do agree to stay off I-5 if you can. 55 MPH when towing, tons of trucks, boring scenery and the L.A. area is primarily a parking lot. When I travel to AZ from my home near San Jose, I take I-5 and take 298 towards Visalia then 99 through Bakersfield onto 58 east. To me a much easier route. Of course if you like to see dormant landscape and the Highway Patrol hard at work then I-5 is the ticket.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your advice. Shaking is not good. I don't like shaking. By the coast you mean 1 and 101, correct? Is that slow and traffic filled also? I'd guess the scenery would be nicer, but having spent most of my life in New England, I've driven enough seacoast to know that once you've driven 60 miles of beautiful coast road, you don't necessarily need another 300 miles of same. Would 99 be viable?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Thanks for your advice. Shaking is not good. I don't like shaking. By the coast you mean 1 and 101, correct? Is that slow and traffic filled also? I'd guess the scenery would be nicer, but having spent most of my life in New England, I've driven enough seacoast to know that once you've driven 60 miles of beautiful coast road, you don't necessarily need another 300 miles of same. Would 99 be viable?
Of all of the routes you've suggested, we've taken all of them, and we'd opt for the I-15 thru Utah. Don't know about getting to the I-15 from Oregon though, never have done that.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

Thanks

Many thanks. Hadn't thought about the higher speeds and that's a real plus. Linda
LDRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I-15 through Utah is usually limited to 65mph through heavy populated areas, but it can be as high as 75 and even better on Southern I-15 you can drive 80mph on the test strip areas. And this is weather you're towing or not. There is no separate posted speed limit for trucks or vehicles towing.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote