Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I-25 NM to Denver

We will be traveling from New Mexico. I 40 to Denver. Looking at going up I 25. Looks to be a good path. What can i expect.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #2

Big smooth hwy. Speed limit 75mph. Hilly

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS 34 View Post
We will be traveling from New Mexico. I 40 to Denver. Looking at going up I 25. Looks to be a good path. What can i expect.
Expect a typical Interstate highway. This run has lots of ups and downs, mostly between 5,000 - 7,000 ft. Raton Pass near the NM/CO border will be the highest elevation at about 7,800 ft, but its not that steep on either side. There are a few rough sections that are past due for resurfacing. Traffic is usually not bad until you hit the outer loop near Denver. If you hit Denver anywhere near rush hours, it can be a nightmare, even on the interstate.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We travelled that route and agree with Jim2.

Once you get into Colorado the scenery is kind of unique - mountains on the west side and the plains on the east side.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless it has changed in the past two years, Colorado Springs was always a pain to drive through, especially for such a small city. There used to be a fair amount of construction, narrow roads and lots of traffic. Still, I-25 is the best way to get to Denver.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Expect a typical Interstate highway. This run has lots of ups and downs, mostly between 5,000 - 7,000 ft. Raton Pass near the NM/CO border will be the highest elevation at about 7,800 ft, but its not that steep on either side. There are a few rough sections that are past due for resurfacing. Traffic is usually not bad until you hit the outer loop near Denver. If you hit Denver anywhere near rush hours, it can be a nightmare, even on the interstate.
Jim2...I also will be taking this route in July. Sounds like good elevation...do you know what most or even some of the grades are? Wife will be driving also, but do not want her behind wheel on steep grades. I would like to keep brakes if you know what I mean!
Thanks
Terry
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #7

IIRC, Raton Pass is about a 6% (maximum) grade. As of last September, construction around Colorado Springs was still a problem.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryts View Post
Jim2...I also will be taking this route in July. Sounds like good elevation...do you know what most or even some of the grades are? Wife will be driving also, but do not want her behind wheel on steep grades. I would like to keep brakes if you know what I mean!
Thanks
Terry
Let your wife drive the leg from Albuquerque to Sante Fe, thats a long gradual climb from around 5000' to 7000'. The steeper grades and curves are in the sections just past the Sante Fe exits, and from Raton, NM to Trinidad, Co. The 7800' pass may sound high, but consider that your starting from 6600', so its only 1200' up or down. The northbound descent from Raton Pass does have a section near the top of 6% grade, then levels off to 3-4% grade overall with a few short steep sections mixed in. As long as you downshift at the top, and/or use an engine/exhaust brake to keep the speed down, you shouldnt need your brakes.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks Jim2...much appreciated! I drove southbound from Co.Springs a couple of years ago, so I just wanted to make sure going north of anything to expect.

Norm and Janet...thanks to you to. I am staying in Co. Springs actually exiting at Hwy 24. So I will not be driving all the way thru. Staying at Garden of the Gods RV park (again). Nice place.

Terry
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #10

All of the construction is done in Colorado Springs except at the last bridge heading north out of town, looks like they had to redo something. Just through there last week in a big truck.

Paul
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Colorado Springs isn't a problem anymore. They've done extensive upgrades to the Interstate going through the city. Primarily added anywhere from one to two new lanes both directions. This addition of new lanes made a big difference in traffic flow. Even rush hour traffic isn't that bad now. Just stay in the middle or fast lane to stay away from vehicles entering and exiting the highway and you won't have any problem.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #12

The worst construction is through Trinidad. It's narrow and 35mph. After that, you should be good. I drive a tractor trailer and it wasn't a big deal.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone have an update on this route? I-25 from Raton to Denver?
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are travelling this way now, we have High winds forecast the rest of the day. The roads are decent and construction isn't bad in the stretch to Hwy 24. Enjoy.

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote