Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
I-25 thru Denver

I plan to drive I-25 from Cheyenne thru Denver to Raton next week. I drove it in January in my car and there is no way I want to drive my coach thru the heart of Denver with all the traffic congestion and construction.

The map shows a loop east of Denver, is it a good RV route or do I need to find another route?

We drove 191 thru Utah to get to Boise and would like to try the I-84/80 and 25 route to go home.

TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

I drove that route last summer. Good road and traffic not too bad when we were there. Watch for the toll booths, they are off to the side and easy to miss. If you do miss one you will get a bill inthe mail.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

You can take I 270 to I 70 to 470 (toll road) to bypass Denver, longer, toll road is not cheep. Driven several times I 25 thru Denver, but usually try to do it on a Saturday or Sunday to miss the traffic. Slow and easy is the key, and not durning rush hour at all.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We drove I-35 thru Austin a coupe weeks ago at the start of rush hour. It took us almost 2 hours to get thru the center. Complete stop and little go. We took the low road, the high road was even slower!

On the way home we discovered 130, a little longer and with tolls but well worth it!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

E470 loop around Denver is a very easy drive in a RV. Its a toll road and they take photos of your license plate and will send you the bill.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
E-470

As much as I dislike using toll roads, to bypass all of the I-25 nonsense, that is going to be the best option, longer, tolls but far less downtown Denver traffice.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

E470 will take you way east of Denver and then back to the west to reconnect to I25 south of Denver. It will add miles to your drive and about $20 in tolls. If you have a toad, you can double that because they charge by the axle. There are no toll booths, they take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill. If you hit the Denver portion of I25 between 9am and 3pm it will be busy, but an easy drive. I would recommend staying in the second lane from the right to avoid merging traffic. You will save money and time.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Living in the northern part of Denver and taking the Motorhome through Denver on I-25, I agree with the posts so far. I-25 is usually fine if you time it correctly, but be sure not to drive it during rush hour. E470 is a very easy drive, but will cost you in tolls and add to your total distance. Currently, there is no construction on E470, but there may be a couple cone zones on I-25. They are usually only a distraction except sometimes at night.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
personally I would never drive I25 in my coach through downtown with the construction areas, narrow lanes & traffic... I use E470 when I need to go north (or south coming home)---whole lot less stress even paying the tolls...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
As a new guy (we bought the RV mid-Feb and have driven it a little over 3,000 miles to date) I am into easy and not traffic or construction. From what we saw in January we will take the 470 option on this return.

I was concerned about Raton Pass also but after some of the hills on 191 I no longer worry about it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #11

Denver

I live in and drive the Denver traffic with my rv. The 470 route is costly and not worth the trouble. Just stay out of normal rush an hour either way and a beginner will do fine. 25 is not that long and at worst is slow. Fridays are the worst.
John
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question on the toll collection. tomk52 said there are no toll booths.
So they will send me a bill in California?

How long do you have to pay it, as we will be gone for several months on this next trip and will be going through the Denver area on the first part of the trip and have no mail forwarding service.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #13

They are very forgiving and you can pay on line. It is not a problem to worry about.

Your drive on 80/84 is not bad and is pretty this time of year. I just brought my new vista in from Boise.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I plan to drive I-25 from Cheyenne thru Denver to Raton next week. I drove it in January in my car and there is no way I want to drive my coach thru the heart of Denver with all the traffic congestion and construction.

The map shows a loop east of Denver, is it a good RV route or do I need to find another route?

We drove 191 thru Utah to get to Boise and would like to try the I-84/80 and 25 route to go home.
Use the toll loop. Its not that expensive at all and you will burn a lot of diesel just sitting in traffic on I 25. Been there, got the T shirt.