Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

I-25 to Cody WY

We will be heading that way from sd. Anybody driven a mh (40') on any of the hwys from i25 in northern WY to cody?
contrarymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're coming from Rapid City/ Mt. Rushmore area, not sure why you'd get on I-25. In all my travels in that region I've never done it that way. My preferred route in an RV is I-90 to Buffalo, WY then US 16 over the Big Horns to Worland, N US 20 to Cody. To 'short cut' at Ten Sleep up to Hyattville is a bad, narrow road. From Hyattville to Manderson on WY 31 is a little better, but it's pretty quick to stay on the US highways 16 and 20.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

What Bflin181 said.

I made that drive in July with my pickup and 39' trailer. No problem.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you're coming from Rapid City/ Mt. Rushmore area, not sure why you'd get on I-25. In all my travels in that region I've never done it that way. My preferred route in an RV is I-90 to Buffalo, WY then US 16 over the Big Horns to Worland, N US 20 to Cody. To 'short cut' at Ten Sleep up to Hyattville is a bad, narrow road. From Hyattville to Manderson on WY 31 is a little better, but it's pretty quick to stay on the US highways 16 and 20.
X2 Nice trip and very scenic over the Big Horns.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

I25 to Cody.

Thanks everyone for your replys. I guess I should have explained better. I meant when you get to I25 from 9 which roaf is the best. Good to hear all the info that's out there. Any good RV spots?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Your posts are confusing! Are you trying to get to Cody, WY? From South Dakota?

If you're heading west on I-90 and don't want to attempt crossing the Big Horns (it can be intimidating in an RV of any size), you can exit I-90 at Gillette. Take WY 50 to 387 to 259 and get on I-25 S to Casper. From Casper US 20 toward Thermopolis. From Thermopolis, WY 120 to Cody. That will take you through Wind River Canyon... GORGEOUS drive. We've made that drive a couple of times.

If you're already on I-25 get to Casper and follow the same directions.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Your posts are confusing! Are you trying to get to Cody, WY? From South Dakota?

If you're heading west on I-90 and don't want to attempt crossing the Big Horns (it can be intimidating in an RV of any size), you can exit I-90 at Gillette. Take WY 50 to 387 to 259 and get on I-25 S to Casper. From Casper US 20 toward Thermopolis. From Thermopolis, WY 120 to Cody. That will take you through Wind River Canyon... GORGEOUS drive. We've made that drive a couple of times.

If you're already on I-25 get to Casper and follow the same directions.
That's a lot of driving to avoid the mountains! If you're going to Yellowstone, you're going to travel through some mountains. If the OP visited Mt. Rushmore they've been on some grades worse than U.S. 16 through the Big Horns. Your route is 327 miles while US 16 is 178 miles. Yes, the Wind River canyon is pretty, but not sure it's worth the time or fuel to drive through. The scenery into Yellowstone from Cody is almost equal and doesn't have a railroad hugging the other side of the canyon.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote