Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
WDW

I-4 Orlando

Reading about the I-4 rebuild starting a couple of months in Orlando. Anyone have suggestions on how / where to avoid this? I believe this is a multi year project designed to help what is already a huge portable parking lot.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #2

Alternate Route

You have a couple of choices to get around I-4. If you are coming down from the north via I-95, you can take I-4 as far as Sanford then exit onto the 417(Greenway) that will take you around the east side of Orlando towards the airport. Second choice would be to continue down I-4 past the 417 to the 414. This would take you west of Orlando and connects onto the 429 which goes around Orlando on the west side. You did not specify where you are coming from or what your destination is but either way will keep you out of the heavy construction on I-4 which is due to begin in Feb and last until late 2019 or so. Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrich View Post
You have a couple of choices to get around I-4. If you are coming down from the north via I-95, you can take I-4 as far as Sanford then exit onto the 417(Greenway) that will take you around the east side of Orlando towards the airport. Second choice would be to continue down I-4 past the 417 to the 414. This would take you west of Orlando and connects onto the 429 which goes around Orlando on the west side. You did not specify where you are coming from or what your destination is but either way will keep you out of the heavy construction on I-4 which is due to begin in Feb and last until late 2019 or so. Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
X2 on these routes. I avoid I4 in that area even in the car.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Local news says the project is projected to take until 2021 to complete.

I think they've hired the same planners responsible for the Chicago area freeways.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
WDW

I-4 Orlando

We will be leaving the Fort and heading up to 75 north. Our in bound will be off 95 from Flagler. For that one I knew to come in off 417. We are usually out at Caniveral by car.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

what again ?? !! i live down there when they redid I4 from tamp to Orlando
i lived in lakeland at the time so it was not fun no matter what way i was going
Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
what again ?? !! i live down there when they redid I4 from tamp to Orlando
i lived in lakeland at the time so it was not fun no matter what way i was going
Now they're doing the remainder, from Orlando to Daytona.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

I drive the length of I-4 at least 4 times a month. I can confirm they are working on the east end of it now. Not that it will do any good. the portion from downtown orlando to about us 27 is still a parking lot either direction most times.

I am not sure what the "fort" is If it is fort meyers and i was not in a hurry and just wanted to stay out of traffic I would take 95 south to near fort pierce and from there take state road 70 across the state.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you're trying to leave FW and get to I75 without using I4, go out the south side of WDW onto 192, go west on 192 to US27, go north on 27 to FL50 and go west on 50 to I75. Easy drive, I've done it many times.

TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote