Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I-40 route to Parker, AZ area?

DH and I are planning a trip to the Parker AZ area mid-February from South Dakota. We are trying to find the best route and are wondering about I-40. Seems I've heard some negative comments about it somewhere along the way. Alternate route would be straight south through Salina and Oklahoma City and then west. We will be driving our MH with a 24' enclosed trailer. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

darcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only downside that I can think of on I-40 in mid Feb is the weather along the route. You can get snow and bad weather several places along the route in New Mexico and Arizona. The alternative would be to take I-35 south to the DFW area then take I-20 to I-10 to Parker, it is longer, but you shouldn't have any weather issues. If it was a little later in the year, I-40 would be OK.

Dennis

DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As DennisZ mentioned the only issue with I-40 is snow in the winter. Since your from South Dakota that should not be a problem. Just keep an eye on the weather, and have an alternate route if needed. I assume your taking I-40 to 95 into Parker.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

They keep I40 pretty clear as it is such a major east/west highway. We are in a drought out here, but you never know. The worst that may happen is spending a few hours in Flagstaff until the road is clear.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks the input. We'll make plans using that route with 1-2 back-up routes. Living as far north as we do, we always try and dive as far south as we can as fast as we can. Yes, chboone, we'll end up on 95 coming into Parker. Not 100% sure if we'll even end up in Parker; it could be the other side of the river or somewhere near. We're just looking for a nice spot to spend a couple of weeks and so some 4-wheeling in the sun. It is -9 right now up here and we're ready to warm up.
Thanks again everyone!
darcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #6

I have major competition near Phoenix in Feb that I have been traveling to since 2000. I often travel I-40 from Amarillo to Flagstaff, it is good for an interstate with only a few stretches of pot holes.
Last year late Feb when leaving Phoenix I really watched the weather for Flagstaff and Gallop, stayed in Gallop where I noticed weather not looking good for Amarillo. By the time I got to Albq I40 was closed thus I had to go down I25 to hit I10. A plus five hours error on my part for not watching weather east of Gallop. A lesson learned.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

If you stay in Parker area there are many RV parks on both the AZ N CA side of the river. Coming down AZ 95 through Havasu RVs are not allowed to cross dam. You would have to go all the way to Parker and cross at bridge, then back up river. Most amenities are on AZ side, stores restaurants, gas stations. Almost all RV parks are north of the city of Parker an 18 mile area on the river called the Parker Strip. Plenty of off road areas. Don't miss the Desert Bar about 5 miles out on a dirt road. Only open on weekends, noon to sunset. The Parker 425 off road race is Feb 1 and brings in big crowds, could be busy that weekend. I live in Parker so know the area pretty well.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

Also in February, just a couple miles north ...

25th Annual Western Winter Blast Pyrotechnic Show - South Lake Havasu