Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

I-70 & I-80 pavement conditions in Mid may?

Good evening,
We are traveling from Southern IN to the Yosemite N. P. and area for three weeks beginning in Mid May.
We have traveled the West twice in the last three years in Sept. and have found the interstates and other roads surfaces in good condition however I'm wondering what they will be like in Mid May.
Is this still to early for any of Winter's effects on the roadways to be repaired? Wondering what we can expect?
We plan on taking I-70 to Denver then up I-25 into Wyoming to hook up with I-80 down towards Yosemite.
Appreciate any responses on your experiences.
Letsgoagain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be fine. There can be late snow storms and also good rain storms but outside of that there shouldnt be any other problems that time of year.

MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

I-270

When you get to Denver I suggest you try to avoid the actual interchange of I-70 and I-25 ... they have been improving the interchange ... but as I recall I-270 will allow you to avoid that interchange all together ... the traffic on I-25 will be very heavy for the first 10 miles ... then pretty heavy to Fort Collins ... then it thins out ...

There is a very nice welcome center in Wyoming on I-25 just south of the interchange with I-80 ... dump station and fresh water ... there are three major fuel stations at the same interchange ... Flying J, Love's, and Valero

There are several nice rest areas in Wyoming on I-80 as you head west ... one is at the highest spot on I-80 just east of Laramie ... one just after crossing the Noth Platte River east of Rawlins ...and one at the welcome center near the western state line

PS. There are two very nice stopping places on I-80 ... Holding's Little America ... one at the intersection of I-25 and US-30 on the west edge of Cheyenne ... and the other is in the boonies of western Wyoming at an exit calle "Little America" ... very nice setting, great food, reasonable prices ... the Holding's own Sun Valley and several 4 star hotels ... I always stop there if it is anywhere near meal time ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

MtManLee and skigramp,
Thanks for your replies. I was a little concerned that the road surface would be potholed up and in general in bad shape from the winter conditions.
skigramp thanks for the detailed information on some stopping points in Wyoming. We plan on making it to the Denver area by the end of the 2nd day( the 15th) and then up through Wyoming. Not sure we will get to stop a whole lot on the way out. Have reservations outside Yosemite on the 17th but I will certainly print your reply out and check them out as we travel.
Thanks again for the replies.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #5

We haven't been west of SLC on I-80 for the last few years, but the road through Wyoming is very good. You should also see some wild life near the road that time of year. We've found the road surfaces to be good on 80 and 70. We've found most of the road surface problems to be in the east, generally east of Missouri.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

When you're going through Denver, try to go between 10AM and 2PM, or after 7PM. You'll thank me later. I80 is in good shape. The only construction is west of Rawlins and a small spot west of Laramie. I drive from denver to Salt Lake twice a week, so if you have any questions, just let me know.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This major interstates are usually kept in pretty good condition. I dont remember the last time I drove either one and saw much as far as interstates go. Utah has now put heaters and temp gages and so on along I 80 from Salt Lake east, how far I am not sure but they can now keep track of when to deice and plow and when to just let nature take its course, thus reducing damage with plows from snow and ice improving that insterstate dramatically from all that I have heard.

MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote