Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live in Denver and 95% of my trips , I have to cross the Rockies. I know it's hard on any gas MH. Just the trip out of Denver is about as hard and maybe longer than getting to the tunnel. For the past couple of years I have been taking US 6, (Clear Creek Canyon out of Denver and it ties back into I-70 in Idaho Springs. It bypasses the long pull up and back down from Floyd Hill.
The speed limit on US 6 is about 45 MPH and you will be able to do about that.
The speed limit is 55 or 65 thru that section on I-70 and it has 3 lanes but your gas engine will be screaming to maintain 30 MPH at times. US 6 is a few miles further but much easier on your MoHo and your nerves and a prettier ride than the portion of I-70 you will be bypassing. US 6 is 2 lane and curvy but still a relaxing ride that you will be able to maintain the speed limit.
I always end up in 1st gear for awhile before I get to the big Tunnels on I-70. As soon as you get out of the tunnels , get down to 2nd gear, maximum and plan to stay there for 15 or 20 minutes til you get down to Silverton, you'll still need to tap your brakes. I some times just go all the way down to 1st gear , then I don't have to touch brakes at all, but I'm only going 30 or 35 MPH, no big deal, there are 3 lanes down and all the big trucks are going about 30 MPH also.
Vail Pass is another tough one, drive it just like the Eisenhour tunnel climb.
Once you get to the top of Vail Pass, you will get the best gas mileage you ever get , all the way to the UT state line. I always gas up in Grand Junction or Fruita , gas is a little lower there too. Fruita has great rest area with water and dump station too. You will get a warning sign before the last gas station that says it's about 100 miles to the next gas station
Be careful and enjoy the trip.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
JLABIT... as others have mentioned you can certainly do I-70. Plan your up hills and manage your down hills and you shouldn't have any problems. The I-70 route does have two steep ups and downs with Eisenhower Tunnel/Loveland Pass at 11,000' and Vail Pass is about 10,500'. You can do I-80 depending on how much time you have to motor around but if you are heading to the Grand Canyon I-80 is going way out of your way.

You said you will be in Colorado Springs, so there is a option that eliminates both of the high passes on I-70. As you may recall, US-24 runs right through Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs and up to Woodland Park. You can take that west past Buena Vista and Leadville and it puts you on I-70 just west of Vail. You won't save any time going this way (perhaps 45 minutes longer v/s I-25 N to I-70 W, but it is a nice relaxed ride on beautiful, RV-friendly 2 lanes roads and you don't have any real steep climbs. You'll still hit some high elevations but not the steeps like I-70. And if you want to do a little sightseeing you have some great little mountain towns that you are already rolling through, like Leadville and Minturn.

From there you can take your planned route or do a little side trip to Moab and Canyonlands & Arches NP. From Moab you can continue south on Rt-191 and head to the GC. If it were me I would go to Moab under any circumstance and camp at Devils Garden CG in Arches NP, an unearthly wonder on planet Earth. If you go book site #19 or #22, totally outrageous.

Any way you decide to go you won't be disappointed, its a beautiful country. Happy motoring.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #17

I did I70 in a DP 340hp engine pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee last year. I wish I had known about US6. The road was not bad but I could not maintain the posted speed limit so I stayed in the right hand lane. What hurt me was getting stuck behind the slower gas motorhomes and or panel trucks and loosing the sweet spot on my RPM. I found myself watching my temp gauge and having to manually down shift as a result to keep from over heating. It was a real stressfull drive and I am a veteran motorhomer. At the time we went over the two right lanes were bumper to bumper. No where to go.

We came home through New Mexico to find roads with lesser grades.

I do remember one sign on I70 on the way down on the west side that said if you have lost your breaks do not get off the highway here. We don't want you.

If you have any miles on your coach and no exhaust break have the transmission serviced as it is going to get a HARD workout.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #18

MandG-Fun, you talked about U.S.24 instead of I-70. I just purchased the book describing mountain grades/passes described by an earlier poster. That book mentions some roadway around what it calls Battle Mountain. It says there are some sharp turns without a breakdown lane and without any type of guard rail. I seem to remember something like that while being driven up Mt Evans on Hwy 6 a long time ago. I know you guys that live out there probably think it funny that us Floridians are so afraid of those 3,000-4,000 foot drop-offs without guard rails. Are there any areas like that on the drive between Colo. Springs and Minturn on US 24? It has been 40 years since I lived out there. Also, when is the earliest I could visit your area and feel comfortable that I could make the drive without all the snow I see while looking at it on Google Earth? That looks like a beautiful way to go. I don't know how to drive on snow and ice, though, so if I need to wait until late June, better safe than sorry. Thanks for your response. And, also, we had already looked at a stop in Moab, Utah. Thanks for the suggestion on the camping site.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
MandG-Fun, you talked about U.S.24 instead of I-70. I just purchased the book describing mountain grades/passes described by an earlier poster. That book mentions some roadway around what it calls Battle Mountain. It says there are some sharp turns without a breakdown lane and without any type of guard rail. I seem to remember something like that while being driven up Mt Evans on Hwy 6 a long time ago. I know you guys that live out there probably think it funny that us Floridians are so afraid of those 3,000-4,000 foot drop-offs without guard rails. Are there any areas like that on the drive between Colo. Springs and Minturn on US 24? It has been 40 years since I lived out there. Also, when is the earliest I could visit your area and feel comfortable that I could make the drive without all the snow I see while looking at it on Google Earth? That looks like a beautiful way to go. I don't know how to drive on snow and ice, though, so if I need to wait until late June, better safe than sorry. Thanks for your response. And, also, we had already looked at a stop in Moab, Utah. Thanks for the suggestion on the camping site.
jlabit... I don't have an answer to your question. It never occurred to me that the road had any real sharp turns or dangerous areas. It is a mountain road so it does wind but nothing excessive and nothing like the road up Mt. Evans (I think you mean Rt 5). I would not call this a scary route for even flatlanders and would have more concern managing speed up and down the I-70 passes.

Of course this is my perspective and you need to be comfortable, I obviously can't make that call for you.

As for snow, with the exception of the high mountain passes (like the ones on I-70) you will normally be fine from mid-May through early September. I've hit snow on Vail Pass in May and September. Rt 24 is much less likely to see snow during these times. Mostly if you do get a late May or early September snow it does not accumulate on the road. Good luck with your trip planning.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #20

The difference with I70 versus Monarch, Wolf Creek, or Raton passes is the length of the climbs on I70. They are long an steep, both directions. I have been over it several times with a Ram 2500 and my DP and I didn't think it was any more difficult than any other pass. I find the down hills more challenging than going up on I70. With a DP I stay in 5th at 55mph and the exhaust brake will hold. With a gasser, use your gears. I would take the route that is most direct, and not worry about I70. You can get over it pretty easy with a gasser, so I have seen. They go slow, but they always seem to make it.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I-70 is a beautiful drive from Denver to Grand Junction. Watch you temps going up and get in behind a trucker coming down and use whatever gear allows you to maintain spacing and you will be just fine.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #22

Thanks for all your replies. Think we will leave Florida mid-May. That will get us to Denver the end of May, and departing Colorado Springs the end of May-early June. I believe I can handle US 24, as long as there is no snow, and early June looks like a good bet. I appreciate all the help. Anyone ever need any advice about travelling Northwest Florida, I'd be more than happy to help. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a beautiful drive and if I were you I wouldn't miss going that way. Don't be intimitated. Take your time and enjoy the drive and scenery. Your V10 is capable of producing the power to make the climbs. Our 460 did it without any problems. Have a great time and enjoy.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #24

If worried about power, you could unhook the toad and drive separately of you have others going with you. We did that for Monarch pass Agee years ago just to be safe
Old 02-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #25

One final question, and it might be a really silly one, but unsure of answer. When I was stationed at Lowry AFB in Denver in 1969-19770, I had to have the carburetor jets replaced in my old Ford Galaxy. I am hoping that since my motor home hopefully does not have a carburetor, that I will not need to make any adjustments for high altitude driving in the Colorado mountains. Do I need to have any mechanical changes made to my Ford V-10 gasser for this trip.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel injection resolved that issue. No problems, although, as you know, altitude will decrease the power generated by the engine. Superchargers/turbochargers will help resolve that problem.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote