Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
I-70 thru Colorado

Leaving Ft Collins, CO on Oct 1 headed to SoCal. Will be first time on I-70 through the Rockies in our 05 Tiffin Phaeton (Cat C-7, 350hp) towing our CR-V toad. I totally realize we won’t average 55 mph that first day, as I’ve ready many posts about being in the right hand truck lane doing 15-20 mph in the mountains. What’s a realistic destination for that first day? We typically plan about 300 miles on a normal day or about 6-7 hours on the road. Is Glenwood Springs doable? Grand Junction? Less than that? More?

Thanks for responding!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Green River, UT is our first stop when headed west from Denver. There are a few good options there. Enjoy the trip!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

I think you’ll be in Glenwood before you even realize it. We have a gas Winnie and pulled our Jeep Wrangler for the first time in June. We were able to maintain about 45mph without any issue. Once you leave Colorado the roads will get so much smoother?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

I suggest a stop at Pine Cove campground on the Southeastern shore of Dillon Reservoir about a mile from Frisco, CO. It's owned by the USFS and is first come, first served on level asphalt for $22 or $11 with the old fart's card. Say high to Greg the host if you stop there. Check it out on Park Advisor.
Vehicles over 26,000# GVWR are required to remain in the far right lane on most grades on I-70 west of Denver to at least Vail. $100 fine for not complying. Watch your coolant and transmission temps, especially while towing. Run your dash heater and keep your RPMs up to help keep your temps under control. There are some chain up areas to pull over in. If you use one please pull forward so someone can pull in behind you if necessary.
I-70 is in terrible shape right now. The worst I have seen in almost 30 years living here. It used to be the best maintained freeway in the state so the skiing tourists had a nice road to drive from DIA to the ski resorts. The left lane is only marginally better than the right lane so no need to be tempted to try it.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Personally, from Fort Collins, I'd take 14/40 to Craig and then 13 south to Rifle State Park for the night. Or check out the Steamboat Springs area for a night or two. Beautiful drive and you avoid Denver traffic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

Right your are, FL420. I drove I-70 from Denver to Utah last month and was very disappointed in the poor condition of the pavement. The road crews have a lot of work to do there over the next few construction seasons

Tags
colorado