Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

I-70 west up to Estes Park

We're headed to Estes Park in August and wondered what was the best path from I-70. We plan to bypass Denver on 470, but then what? Take 25 all the way to 34, or cut over sooner -- maybe 66 to 36? I don't remember what these roads have to offer!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If coming from Kansas, take US395 N to US34 W. It's not interstate but the roads are not bad. 470 is a toll road.

https://www.facebook.com/Dont-drive-...1390439906397/

https://www.e-470.com/Documents/E-47...bsite-2015.pdf

https://www.e-470.com/Documents/2016...e%20Tables.pdf

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

I live between Boulder and Denver, about a mile south of the Boulder Turnpike (route 36).

When you get to Exit 289 on I-70 take it to get on 470 (which is a toll road that I personally avoid at all costs - their toll system is one of those that reads your license plate and sends you a bill - they've screwed me a couple of times), it'll take you all the way around NE metro Denver to the Boulder Turnpike (Boulder Turnpike is Route 36 - 36 is actually the highway straight to Estes Park but it goes through Boulder proper and the traffic isn't fun). When you get the Boulder Turnpike, just take the turn towards Boulder (to the right). Just as you get to Boulder, take the Foothills Parkway (Rte. 157) which will pass most of Boulder on the east side of town (though you will hit some traffic lights, it's preferable to going into the city on Route 36). At the end of the Parkway, you will come to the Diagonal Highway (Route 119). You do NOT want to take it towards Longmont. Go the other way on 119 away from Longmont (it's a bizarre ramp system at that intersection - very disorienting and you have to watch the signs carefully), and in a fairly short distance, you'll pick up Route 36 again and take it (to the right) towards Lyons and then towards Estes Park.

If you can manage to hit Denver during a non peak rush hour (after 10AM and before 3:30 - 4PM you've got a chance, and of course, after 9PM until about 7AM), it's simpler to stay on I-70 until you get to I-270 which is a little spur interstate highway that turns into the Boulder Turnpike and Route 36. Much simpler than 470 without the hassle of the toll road.

Safe travels.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have done a Colorado trip a few times and did I-70 to I-25. Since 470 has opened I had rather pay the toll than deal with the traffic. We go up to Loveland and take US34 straight up to Estes Park. Talked to a couple from Colorado a few days ago and asked how the road was since the flooding a few years ago. They said the route was fine and you could not tell the road had been washed out.
There is a pretty good RV park just west of Loveland on 34 that we stayed a few days in. Right on a nice stream. We had stream side parking and it was nice to hear the water at night. only minus was the lack of pavement or gravel on the interior roads - lots of dust. They had a truck come by a couple of times a day and water the dust down.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I figure the tollway would be cheap at twice the price to avoid 70/25 through Denver. Then I find taking CO66 west from I25 to 36 is more straightforward with less traffic than going via Boulder. Just make sure you're in the left lane as when the road goes to one lane toward the west edge of Longmont somewhere it does so by making the right lane go off where you don't want to go.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What about going the 470 toll road on the eastside of Denver all the way around back to 25? I've never been that way and was curious how it is.

I would be coming from the South on 25
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oh nevermind i just read rgvtexan's links ...... that told road sounds really bad
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post
What about going the 470 toll road on the eastside of Denver all the way around back to 25? I've never been that way and was curious how it is.

I would be coming from the South on 25
I have been that route many times, while I hate tolls and is a bit pricey I would prefer it to I-70/I-25 any day. I prefer going to an all night dentist than 1-70/I-25 Denver.
E470 is an easy route, the toll areas are simple enough, it takes a picture of your tag and mails you a bill. You don't even have to slow down.