Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
In the ether...

I-75 Northbound and Southbound south of Toledo

Last weekend, I took a trip to Cincinnati for an RC Helicopter event. I used US 23 to I-75. This stretch of road has been under construction for a long time, but it's the best way to get to Cincinnati from my home. I was in my motor home.

Southbound, the construction wasn't too bad. On the return trip northbound, the construction left the road in what I consider to be the worst stretch of public highway I have ever driven on. Uneven pavement, grooved pavement,scraped pavement, radius of lane shifts way too narrow (I was almost hit by an 18-wheeler who HAD to cut the corner in order to stay off the Jersey wall--I got all over the brakes to avoid it as the truck driver was attempting to pass me--he clearly misjudged the radius of the turn), and more.

From Findlay, OH to Toledo, horrible. Just horrible. I had a large Class A Diesel behind me who I am sure I held up.

This was the worst white knuckle drive I have ever had in any vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
WDW

Thank you! For your report. I was planning a run to Canton coming from Elkhart and that route was under consideration.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The construction through Dayton on I 75 north bound is pretty bad as well, adds 30 minutes to my ride to the airport. Drops from 3 lanes to 1.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Thank you! For your report. I was planning a run to Canton coming from Elkhart and that route was under consideration.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
I don't know what it is like from beyond the first mile after Toledo northbound. There, you essentially make a U-Turn get back on I-75 south for about a mile, then bear right onto the US-23 (I think 475, too) bypass. No fun on that road, either. There, previous construction left joints in the pavement on either side of the center line.

Drive carefully!

Scott
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
The construction through Dayton on I 75 north bound is pretty bad as well, adds 30 minutes to my ride to the airport. Drops from 3 lanes to 1.
Yes, it is. But it is navigable. I hit Dayton at rush hour on Thursday. Between Dayton and my exit to west of Cincinnati, I hit two thunderstorms so that slowed things down, anyway. Sunday, the drive north from the field west of Cincinnati was much calmer until I hit Findlay. Until Findlay it was actually a nice drive.

Scott
Old 07-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #6

We are going north from Florida to Michigan next week. Does anybody know the condition of I65 north of Louisvillee to I69 north of Indianapolis into Michigan? Have heard of many I75 problems and am willing to try the more westerly route.

Would appreciate any information.

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
In the ether...

If you were going in about three weeks, I could give you an accurate report as we take that route to Muncie every year for the IRCHA Jamboree.

According to Google Maps, there is Southbound construction on I-69 so northbound appears clear.

Alternate route takes you from I69 to US 24 at Fort Wayne to Toledo. The loop around Toledo (475) has some previous construction which staggers lane dividers and is difficult to avoid as I mentioned earlier. US23 north in Michigan to 75--depending on how far north you are going--is clear until the intersection of I96 and US23. That is a short bout of construction and is tricky but navigable--I drive it about 2 times per week as my motor home is stored in Brighton, MI--it's not bad.

Avoid I75 from Findlay to Toledo at all costs. It's horrible.

Sorry I can't be more accurate.

Scott

Tags
led