Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

I-75 shut down in North Tennessee

There has been a rock slide on Jellico Mountain in north Tennessee and it has shut down I-75 in both directions. The shut down is expected to last about 2 weeks. There is a detour on 25W from Jellico to Caryville. Big rigs are advised to go east of Knoxville on I-40 and up a little ways on I-81 and take 25E up to I-75 at Corbin, KY. They may have one side (I don't know which side) of I-75 open in a week or so but complete opening will be about 2 weeks. An option is I-24 from Chattanooga to Nashville and the I-65 north. Otherwise plan on several extra hours of travel on the detour, make sure you have enough fuel/gas, no need making a bad situation worse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On USA Today: Tennessee I-75 closure could last for weeks

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Wow, OMG, H&^%$S#@$!, and a few other expletives. Drove the north bound detour yesterday while dragging the toad. Had no idea I-75 was closed until it was too late to seek an alternate route. Headed back to Michigan from Florida.

We just reached 6,000 miles in our first RV, so not tons of experience yet. Those back roads were scary. Rocky cliffs on one side and a steep drop off to a river on the other. Sometimes no shoulder, just a drop. The detour added about 35 to 40 minutes to our travel time. We made it through just fine with no drama. Well, maybe a little drama from DW because she felt like she was hanging out over the ravine as we went along.

As far as mountain driving North and South... piece of cake. Not trying to be smug; that was simply not a big deal at all. I was worried about the drive down and read up on the forums here before going (which made me more nervous for no reason). Heading down from Jellico to the South was the only time I had to "stab brake" a couple of times to help the engine brake downshift.

FYI - there is a brand new Cabellas at 350 Cobb Parkway
Ringgold, GA 30736 (first GA I-75 exit south-bound). They have 5 RV spots and an RV dump which is currently free. No potable water though.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The closure in Tennessee is in Campbell County. The whole slope is sliding, with all sizes of rocks, some quite large. They're rolling clear across the median into the southbound lanes, so they shut the whole thing down.

It will be 2 to 3 weeks before they sort this out according to news reports as above posts have probably stated too.

Skeetobite I feel your pain.

Therefore, a word of caution: the detour route around this consists of some winding narrow 2 lane mountain roads (ditto Skeetobite post). I have had to take such a detour in the vicinity of Jellico TN due to a wreck on 75 before, and it was at night. It is not a very relaxing drive in a motorcoach through those roads, especially if your also towing something behind you. It gets a little hairy on tight curves meeting on-coming traffic.

In my opinion, it may be safer to consider an entirely different route and stay on the big road. Just sayin'.

Oh by the way Skeetobite, you forgot to add that in addition to no shoulder just a drop in some spots, there's also not even a guard rail on most of those drops either. I'm very glad you guys made it safely through.

Be safe out there.
Regards,
W.D.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Question I75 rockslide detour

My wife and I are leaving Thursday for points south. We're planning on getting off 75 in Kentucky and getting on 92 and then 27 south. Has anyone else considered this route? I have a friend who has traveled this area extensively and when I ran it by him, he said it sounded like a good plan. I know it's a bit out of the way but we're inn no hurry.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost View Post
My wife and I are leaving Thursday for points south. We're planning on getting off 75 in Kentucky and getting on 92 and then 27 south. Has anyone else considered this route? I have a friend who has traveled this area extensively and when I ran it by him, he said it sounded like a good plan. I know it's a bit out of the way but we're inn no hurry.

Depending on where you are coming from, I would take 71 from Cincinnati, to Louisville, 65 to Nashville, then hook 40 to Chattanooga, back on track . . to 75 .Just saying!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Depending on where you are coming from, I would take 71 from Cincinnati, to Louisville, 65 to Nashville, then hook 40 to Chattanooga, back on track . . to 75 .Just saying!
Ditto that above except,
That would be I-24 East (which you're actually heading Southeast) from Nashville to Chattanooga to catch I-75 South.

I-40 East from Nashville would end you up in Knoxville to intercept I-75 South. You would be many less miles on I-24 East.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Ditto that above except,
That would be I-24 East (which you're actually heading Southeast) from Nashville to Chattanooga to catch I-75 South.

I-40 East from Nashville would end you up in Knoxville to intercept I-75 South. You would be many less miles on I-24 East.

Regards,
W.D.

Yep, I stand corrected . . .or since I'm sitting at the moment, I should have said, "I SIT corrected!" Thanks for the assist!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #9

If your travel is to the South East, exit I-75 at Corbin, KY, then take US-25E to I-81 and further to I-40. This takes you roughly toward Asheville, NC. Easy driving, more than 50% 4 lane, and we travel this route in our motorhome.

Of course, I-40 through the twisty section toward Asheville has it's own share of rockslides

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

Havn't been to our cabin in Lafollette since the slide but if it's in the usual location the detour on the East side of I 75 is not that bad for all but the biggest RVs. Jellico exit north and Jacksborro/Lafollette (34) south to 25 about 35-40 miles total. A few tight turns and one grade but only adds about 30 minutes to 75 route.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Everyone,
I did the North bound truck detour this morning. 40' coach towing a car.
I 40 East
I 81 North
Exit 8 (in Tennessee)
Route 25E North
I 75 North at Corbin, KY (Exit 29)

The road is 4 lane all the way.
Road quality is very good.
Scenery is great.
Several small towns.
Traffic was light to moderate, no stop and go.
55 MPH speed limit.

As detours go, I'd rate this a 10 out of 10. If you are traveling I 75 do not fear this detour. The only warning I have is that I 75 North bound, in Kentucky, has no rest areas from exit 29 to exit 171 (where I spend the night). If you are driving, bathroom stops need to be taken while on Route 25E, before one gets to I 75. There are many strip malls in the small towns along this route.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

Small detail. So you don't have to wait quite as long, there is a rest stop on both sides of I-75, 1.7 miles North of the mile 126 exit for Georgetown KY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
... The only warning I have is that I 75 North bound, in Kentucky, has no rest areas from exit 29 to exit 171 (where I spend the night). If you are driving, bathroom stops need to be taken while on Route 25E, before one gets to I 75. There are many strip malls in the small towns along this route.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Southbound lanes opening tonight at 9:00 pm

Updates at this link. https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkNagiT...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icrob View Post
Southbound lanes opening tonight at 9:00 pm
Updates at this link. https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkNagiT...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Icrob
Thanks.
Mel