Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Last spring coming back from the south, I drove eastbound on I78 from the intersection of I81 to I287 in NJ. I found road conditions pretty bad, mostly segments in Pa where I had to reduce speed around 35 to 40 mph. It was so bumpy.

Now 6 months later are the road conditions better now, going westbound from I287 in NJ to I81 in Pa.
Initially I thought of driving on I81 from Canadian border, but read that construction is not completed south of Wilkes Barre, Pa. and road still rough.

Thanks for the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Last spring coming back from the south, I drove eastbound on I78 from the intersection of I81 to I287 in NJ. I found road conditions pretty bad, mostly segments in Pa where I had to reduce speed around 35 to 40 mph. It was so bumpy.

Now 6 months later are the road conditions better now, going westbound from I287 in NJ to I81 in Pa.
Initially I thought of driving on I81 from Canadian border, but read that construction is not completed south of Wilkes Barre, Pa. and road still rough.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jacmat,

Conditions are STILL bad, especially:
1. A 3 mile section just as you're leaving NJ.
2. For about 10 miles west of Hamburg, PA (right after the big Cabela's store)

The fast lane is your best option in both sections providing there's not too much traffic. They are attempting to repair the NJ section but I haven't seen any improvement yet.

You could turn off Rt. 78 at Exit 3 in NJ and take Rt. 22. Road is a little tighter and some traffic lights but you avoid the NJ bad road section and the big hill climbs as soon as you get in PA.

Also the connection from Rt. 287 south to Rt. 78 west is much better with a new 2000 foot acceleration lane.

Safe travels! I'm at Exit 11 off Rt. 78 in NJ if you run into trouble!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Repaving on I-78 in the area of mm 19 to 29, west of Cabela's at Hamburg has improved conditions greatly. PennDOT is currently repaving mm 35 to 45 and should be finished before long. I cannot report if there is any active work east of the Allentown area.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually returning from Hershey show last week I noticed the repaving taking place west of Cabella's is nearly complete. The work around exit 49 in PA is now complete. I-78 thru PA is now much better. The stretch between the Delaware River and Exit 3 in NJ is now under construction right now. That 3 miles in NJ is about the worst I've ever driven over and now that construction has begun it is worse than ever. Even the left lane is bad. I generally use Route 22 to bypass that part of I-78. NJ is also just starting a repaving project between mile marker 10 and 18 which is a very rough section that runs between the last two paving projects. At this time they are replacing barriers; next will be repaving. The construction work at the I-78 and I-287 intersection (in NJ) is also complete. I-287 (N and S) between Morristown and I-287 is under a repaving project as of this writing. I generally do not venture north of Morristown in NJ on I-287. Last time I did I felt the road was not bad at all; other than congested.

In short. <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>PA isn't bad <LI>Between Exit 3 and the Delaware River in NJ is terrible but should be better next year <LI>NJ mile post 10-18 is still rough<LI>I-78 & I-287 Intersection is now done<LI>I-287 (N & S) is nearly complete[/list]
RVThere - Until last week I lived off of exit 17 near Spruce Run.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #7

I just came up into Jersey on I 78 and nominate the first 15 miles from the border into NJ as the worst in the US. My door was rattled out of alignment and I thought everything I had was rattleing in the coach. I had to do 45 MPH and the truckers hated me with a passion.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
They have started to move equipment in to resurface the section from MM10 to MM18. So far, they have spray painted circles on some of the bumps and holes. Now you can SEE what going to nail you about 2 seconds before it hits your shocks!

MM0 to MM3 continues to STINK while the construction lingers on...

You guys just drive through. I have to deal with this section of I-78 EVERY DAY!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote