Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

I-79 between Charleston WV and I-68

Good evening,
Planning a trip to the North East this fall. In early stages of route planning but thinking of heading East on I-64 to Charleston which I have driven before but not recently. Thought that I-64 was in pretty good condition at the time.
Wondering the condition of I-79 from Charleston to where it intersects I-68. Also wondering about I-68 to I-81 and I-81 to Harrisburg PA.
Know this is a lot of wondering but would appreciate anyones opinions on the conditions of these interstates. I try to avoid bad roads if at all possible.

Thanks,
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We did a lot of that in the opposite direction back in 2012 - I-70 to I-68 to I-79 back to I-70. Had no trouble at all, until we hit the intersection of I-70 and I-77 around Cambridge, OH, and were in a full-stop, move three feet every five minutes traffic snarl - due to the construction. I'd hope they'd be finished THAT by now, but that was the only rough part. East of there was just fine.

I-68 in western Maryland is a nice ride, I'll say that.

I do not know I-79 up to Morgantown, but I've done I-81 down along the spine of Virginia, and it was a nice ride too. When we came back east from the SLC trip, we took I-64 from St Louis all the way to Norfolk, and the area around Charleston was rough - a lot of construction, and we hit town about 9:30 on a Thursday night. It may be done by now. We stopped for the night in Beckley, but obviously if you head north on I-79 you'll make that turn in Charleston.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I 79 is in good condition some work going on.68 in Maryland is a secnic drive.Traffic not bad.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #4

JiminJersey and hiilman,

Thank you for the replies. I looked at I-79 on google earth but it can only zoom in so much and the street view is a slow process if your trying to determine the condition of the road.
Traveling rough roads takes a lot of the enjoyment out of trips not to mention its hard on the equipment so I try to avoid highways that are in a deteriorated state.
Appreciate your response.
Letsgoagain