Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
I-81 from Maryland to US-26 on to Asheville

How is the condition of I-81 down through the Appalachians ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
How is the condition of I-81 down through the Appalachians ?
I was hoping to find out myself, we are going on it tomorrow and I will let you know. we are in Summers-ville, WV. on us 19 which is an excellent 4 lane hwy. we will leave that and go on I81 and then on I26 thru the Appalachians. I just hope it is not one of them twisty turnney roads. We will go right in to Ashville and on to our son's house in Sylva, NC. I will let you know how the roads are if no others post.
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just drove it recently. I-81 south of Roanoke there is some road construction, back-ups were minimal. I-26 no problem crossing the mountains.
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks to you both . We'll be driving through there in late Oct. or early Nov. Also, I'm wondering about the potential for snow and or ice at that time of year ??
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

I81 is in general a good road but does carry a lot of semi traffic. However, it is always my choice if I can use it as slowdowns do not occur like on I95. Can't speak to current or future construction. I doubt you'll run into any severe winter weather in the Oct/Nov timeframe.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bgoing View Post
I was hoping to find out myself, we are going on it tomorrow and I will let you know. we are in Summers-ville, WV. on us 19 which is an excellent 4 lane hwy. we will leave that and go on I81 and then on I26 thru the Appalachians. I just hope it is not one of them twisty turnney roads. We will go right in to Ashville and on to our son's house in Sylva, NC. I will let you know how the roads are if no others post.
Just finish driving with our Truck & 5th wheel over I77 to us-19 to I81 to I26 to I40 all in one day 328miles . The hwys are in excellent condition and mostly 2-3 lanes in both directions . The bridge approaches are very bumpy. Some of the down grades are 7% on I26 south and us 19 south was 9% upgrade and some sharp curves but all in all very good roads. us-19 goes thru a lot of small towns with lights which slowed us down but very good road. some construction on the bridges also. Going in to Asheville has a lot to be desired on the inter change to I40. it is a mess.
We made it to Sylva, NC.
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

I 81 is a fine road. I live off it in fact. You will have a lot of truck traffic but the construction is not too bad. You will run the risk of snow anytime after the end of Oct. In fact, we had 8 inches last Halloween. Not very common but it can happen. IF it does just find a pull off and wait it out. It melts in a day in Virginia unless it is a huge storm and very very cold...
that has happened only one time in the time I have been there. Snow on the ground from mid Dec to end of March.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote