Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

I-85 through Atlanta CLOSED

3/30/2017....Due to fire under the interstate with a section of north bound collapsing and south bound sustained significant damage. Use I-285 around...NOT GOOD...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Portion of I-85 collapses due to massive fire - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay
Old 03-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Gads! We got out of town(after 10 years) in '87 because of the crazy traffic...just what these Atlantans needed to enhance their daily commute.

Wouldn't this be a little like storing large amounts of gasoline in the electrical room of a building? What could possibly go wrong?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 AM   #4

This will be a problem for the rest of the year, because of reconstruction of the bridge. I285 for going around Atl either going north or south, because a lot of traffic will be using I75 now. Downtown Atl will be a real nightmare. Dave
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We left Atlanta in November after 30 years, wow. Still in touch with friends there and they are freaking out. Thankfully it looks like no one was hurt. There were a lot of construction materials under there which apparently caused the meltdown. That bridge is a monster too, couple miles long, and sheltered a lot of homeless too. Traffic was already horrible and I-85 was the worst corridor. Now I can't imagine what it will be like, really glad to be out of there!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Just heard now south bound lane will have to be either be repaired or replaced. So both north and south lanes ane shut down. This is just after the I75/I85 split in downtown Atlanta. Dave
Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

It is where Piedmont Road NE crosses under I-85 just south of the GA400/I-85 interchange, and 1½ miles north of the 75/85 split. This is the long elevated section that frequently freezes in the winter when conditions are right.

Going north/south on 75 through downtown is ok.

Google maps is already drawing alternate routes around it. I just tried it.

Southbound bridge has been condemned also, first estimates are to complete a new bridge by Thanksgiving at the earliest if they fast track it.

Looking at Google Maps Street view, you can see the large rolls of fiber optic cable, possibly a hundred of them, that were stored under the bridge. I haven't heard but knowing that Google is going to wire Atlanta with fiber optic cable, I suspect it might be connected. (no pun intended)

Google street view of underside of I-85 bridge showing the spools of fiber optic, image made Nov '16.

Charles
Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 PM   #8

That area under I-85 is where GDOT had a office for some traffic engineers. I used to call on them at that location a number of years back (been retired over 10 years). GDOT also had a storage yard of construction materials there and that was what burned. They used fiber optic cable to interconnect all the traffic cameras and traffic signs, no connection with Google. The building that houses the traffic monitoring is a sight to see. The address for the GDOT office was on Plaster Avenue which goes along the north side of the area that burned but their office was under the interstate bridge. They will remove 3 sections of bridge structure and supports on both the north and southbound highway, approximately 350' of surface in each direction I believe is 5 lanes wide in that area. Checking the street view of Plaster Avenue it appears it is now the main office for the HERO organization (Incident Management). The HERO trucks are the ones that patrol the interstates around Atlanta and give aide to broke down vehicles and accidents, a very dangerous job.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

New update - 3 arrested:

I-85 collapse: Three arrests after major fire under highway - CNN.com
Old 04-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is being discussed here.

Closed Thread