Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I-90 to West Yellowstone

I need advice on the best (easiest) route down to West Yellowstone from I-90. Google wants to route me down US 195 out of Bozeman or US 89 through the north entrance of the park. From the map it looks like an easier, albeit further coming from the east, route is to take US 287 out of Three Forks down to MT 87/287 and hang a left on US/MT 20 into West Yellowstone from the west. How is US 287 around the north side of Hebgen Lake? It looks like a beautiful drive, but I'm concerned that it would be a little much for DW's nerves (while in the coach) and the cat's stomach. It's been almost 40 years since I've been to Yellowstone and I did not go on the west side then. We'll be going in on the 27th of this month into W Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park for a week.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Your first concern should be a route that would decrease your chances on encountering snow, we have visited YNP several times always in late June, encountered snow everytime on the way into the park.

We come in from the West, but have traveled from Belgrade on US-191 (I hope you meant 191 vice 195) which merges with US-287 just outside of West Yellowstone. US-191 is good 2 lane highway, with a lot of curves and a steady climb up to the yellowstone plateau, has slow vehicle turnouts. Very popular route into YNP and other recreational activities so is pretty busy, therefore rather on the slow side, but very scenic drive.

We also used US-287 through Ennis which is our preferred route, US-287 is a wide 2 lane highway through high prarie ranching country, so is a fast easy drive. But in your case it would be a bit out of your way. If you take this route I would recommend staying on US-287 until it merges with US-191 just outside of West Yellowstone. The trip via SR-87 and US-20 is considerably slower than staying on US-287, and it routes you over Targhee Pass (Contential Divide at 7,100') . Plus the drive through the Earthquake Lake area is worth seeing, given the eerie scenary of this area. US-287 around Hebgen Lake is good, easy traveling with excellent scenary, not a very crooked road. The drive up US 191 from Bozeman is much more crooked than US-287.

Grizzly RV Park is a wonderful place to stay, very convenient to getting to all areas of YNP via your Toad, enjoy your stay, hope this helps in your planning.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spike,
Thanks for your detailed reply. Indeed, I was referring to US 191 and not 195. It's the curvy part that I'm concerned about, the cat upchucks if there is a whole lot of it. The curves probably will be OK as long as we can travel slow. Thanks again, Jim
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Jim,
I'll be getting there about that time also, post up on what site you're on and I'll look you up and have a cup of tea with you...

Charles
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Charles,

Would love to have cup tea, however, you're running a month behind me. We left Grizzly on the 6/6 headed west. Had quite a snow storm going through Butte. Presently, we're at Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell, WA. It's a really nice park for anyone who staying in the Seattle area. Monday we head down to the Oregon coast for a couple of days before making our way to Reno and turning east for the home bound leg. I had thought about trying to meet up with you in Amana, but then your schedule got set back.

Keep, the water hot. One of these days we'll need it.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sorry about that...Didn't realize that your post was in May....We are leaving Virginia the 18th @ 6PM and are hooking up with some friends in Walls, SD on Saturday the 20th @ noon. From there we are heading to XCody then on to West Yellow Stone for about 10 days.

Don't worry about the hot water...I've got the insta-hot option on my coach..
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote