Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

I-94 South end of Chicago

Has anyone, recently, traveled I-57 (from the South) to I-94 East around the south end of Chicago? I know it can be a major travel headache. We would be arriving in the vicinity about 10 am on Monday in a couple of weeks. The end goal is to travel up the west side of Michigan on I-196 to Ludington. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated! This will be our inaugural trip in the new fiver.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

You take i-57 to I-80 East. That merges with I-294 iand eventually I-94. Traffic will be heavy on 294 and 94 until East of I-65, but at that time of day probably moving at the speed limit.

You're never actually in Chicago, so it's not too bad. Whatever you do, don't take all the way to 94, as that does go into the city.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

When you take I-94 into Mi. and head towards Grand Rapids on I-196 you will have to get on US-31 northbound at Holland. Traffic can be heavy in the Holland and Grand Haven area in the afternoon rush. Once you get north of Muskegon things thin out nicely. There was major road construction in Holland and north of Muskegon earlier in the summer. I think it is still in progress so be careful. Enjoy your trip.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Native Western Michigander and now a 36 year Texas resident has the following suggestions:

Travel north on IH-57 and in Kankakee take exit 312. Turn right (east) on Highway 17. Travel to Momence, IL, and take Highway 114 to Lowell on Hwy 41.. Keep going until you hit IH-65 and then travel north to IH-80/94. Continue up to Western Michigan.

This route will eliminate the Chicago traffic.

In the past we also exited Highway 24 in Gilman and drove to IH-65. But there are many stops on this route and it seemed the ride was much slower than the Momence/Lowell route.

Safe and Happy travels!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmosmom View Post
Native Western Michigander and now a 36 year Texas resident has the following suggestions:

Travel north on IH-57 and in Kankakee take exit 312. Turn right (east) on Highway 17. Travel to Momence, IL, and take Highway 114 to Lowell on Hwy 41.. Keep going until you hit IH-65 and then travel north to IH-80/94. Continue up to Western Michigan.

This route will eliminate the Chicago traffic.
I was always coming from Joliet area, but that is close to how I'd get to I-65. I didn't think of it as I wouldn't have gone that route from Joliet.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. I had considered both the Gilman and Kankakee routes as alternatives. It is good to know the Kankakee one is preferred by
Gizmosmom.