Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't be fooled by the lack of tolls on the Southbound Tappen Zee.

A few miles down I-287 past the bridge, the road splits. All cars can go left and don't pay a toll. But all trucks, RV's, and cars with trailers have to go right and pay a toll.

PS - I-81 to I-66 to Rt. 17 route only adds about 45 miles when you take into acount using the Baltimore Key Bridge instead of the tunnel. Once you spent a few hours in Philly, Baltimore, DC traffic, you will never go back that way again...

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We also use the 81 66 17 route to 95. Used to do the Penn turnpike routine but it didn't seem to make much difference.

While you are at Jolly Roger be sure to stop right down the street at the Wreck & Galley Grill for a bite. The pistachio encrusted grouper is great.

We are at Knight's key right before the seven mile bridge. Feel free to PM me if you need any info about Marathon area.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
EDJ, that sounds like it might be a snowy wat to go especially this year with all the snow and ice the southeast has been gettin lately. we are just now getting a heavy snow.
whats this I hear about the tappin zee tolls only on the north bound lanes??
It all depends on where the storms are. Just before New Years, I-81 was dry and clear while I-95 had snow. There is a web site called TrafficLand that gets you to a LOT of traffic cams. We use that to see how the roads actually are.

The Tappan Zee has tolls only on the east bound direction. The assumption is that if you go across in one direction, you will be coming back. The single east bound toll covers the trip both ways.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #18

I just came down yesterday and today via 15 to I 81 and then East at Staunton, Va. on I 64. Then take 288 just east of Richmond and it drops you out on I 95 between Richmond and Petersburg. The ice was all over the fields from the middle of North Carolina to the middle of South Carolina but the road was clear and moderate traffic. I'm sure glad I waited until Wednesday to come down as I would have hated to get caught in that ice mess.

Mike
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to gijoan12
we came down form Canada in Nov 2010 and clear sailing all the way. We are in Florida now and lets hope it warms up soon or we will all have to go to the keys..
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Foz

Smile

I-81 to I-66 to Rt 17 is ok, but if you are headed east on Rt 17 in the late afternoon, traffic is horrible.

We used to live in western NY and have traveled the above route as well as taking I-81 down to I-77. Taking I-77 will leave you a bit more sane by avoiding the Rt 17 and I-95 traffic in VA.

We now live off Rt 29 north of Charlottesville, VA and it is easy to go down Rt 29 to I-64 then 288 around Richmond.

If you want to use I-64, don't go all the way to Staunton on I-81. Take I-81 to I-66 to Rt 29 then pickup I-64 in Charlottesville then 288 around Richmond and back onto I-95

All the routes will vary in mileage, but time will be within 1-2 hours for your total trip depending of course on traffic delays.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I 95 in Va is rough. From Harrisburg I would take 81 south to 77 down to Columbia SC and 26 over to 95. The scenery is better, the roads are better, the traffic is less, and at Thanksgiving I went up 95 to DC and the roads in Va are now much worse than sc or ga. When I returned I came back on 81 and it was much better.
As we were going north from Richmond the SB traffic was backed up about 30 miles. Thisw was about 5 to 6 pm but in the am it backs up going NB. Also some of the rest areas in Va are rather smallish with a 2 hour limit.
Was rather suprised in ga and sc at the amount of reconstuction they have completed and improved their roads.
Have fun on your trip.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
PS Fuel up in va sc ga as they are all cheaper than fl.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #23

If you come the Richmond Va, way pic up Rt 295 around richmond 95 is a mess on its good day
the 288 around Richmond dumps you back on Rt95 so try for the 295 way
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandred View Post
If you come the Richmond Va, way pic up Rt 295 around richmond 95 is a mess on its good day
the 288 around Richmond dumps you back on Rt95 so try for the 295 way
We do the same. Tried going through Richmond one trip late at night and although traffic wasn't as bad the road was a mess. Bouncy and curvy. No fun in an RV.

We also take the bypass around Jacksonville. It's a long way around but has been worth the trouble.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
we're also headed south on the first but with a different route . Well pick up 287 in NJ around to 206 down to 95 through Philly. then just past Wilmington, take 296 (Ithink) to 301. Stay on 301 to Bowling Green and jump back to 95 there. then it's simple 95, 295 around Richmond and then onto Fl where we cut crosslots to the gulf coast. We also time the departure here so we are in the Baltimore/DC area off peak traffic hours.

Bill
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Where you headed in the Keys Scott? Warm here yesterday and today. 80 yesterday and forecasting 79 today We are in Marathon.

I don't think the construction ever stops in Ga but it was a little better last month on the way.

On thing I suggest to anyone traveling through Fl is if you don't already have one get a Sun Pass. Some of the toll plazas you can zoom through at 55 while others wait in line to pay. If you stay anywhere in northern Fl pick up a "mini" at a drug store and call it in in the AM and it will work later that night or in the afternoon it will be good next day. They are the size of a credit card and stick to your window. $4.99 with a $5 toll credit so the price is right.

Florida's turnpike is much nicer to travel in the middle of the night but this year we went through in the afternoon and it wasn't to bad.
sun pass does it work for mh? we have one on the toad just getting info do they charge ya more or will the one on car catch it? remember i think i think in feb sometime the pay bouths will be closed down by kendale south sun pass only
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
sun pass does it work for mh? we have one on the toad just getting info do they charge ya more or will the one on car catch it? remember i think i think in feb sometime the pay bouths will be closed down by kendale south sun pass only
They charge by the number of axles, when we had TT they charged us for 3, two on the truck and one on the TT. With a toad you will be charged 4 assuming you have two on the MH. You can go to THIS page to use the calculator. The sunpass should be in the front vehicle, if you get stuck in a gated lane the sunpass won't be read to open the gate.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #28

Weather permitting, I would also opt for the I-81 route. Here is a quote from a moderator on another forum who lives in Maine and winters in FL:

"I live in New England and avoid I95 as much as possible because of bad roads and heavy traffic.

I use I95 to I26 to I77 to I81 to Mass Pike and then go around Worcester on I 495 and pick I 95 up at the NH/MA line."

He was replying to a post about traveling north. We just drove our toad straight up I-95 / NJ turnpike from Daytona Beach to RI last weekend. I will never do that route again with the Bounder. The extra miles is well worth it.

Bob