Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
I-95 south to Florida

Hello All. we are going to be heading south on 95 on the 1st of FEB. any thing we should know about? like construction or anything like that.
is the construction still down in Georgia?
also we will be going around NYC via 84 (the bridge above the Tapensee) down to harrisburg then 15 to somewhere above Richmond. any comments on this plan?
We are travelling in a 30 ft 5th wheel pulled by a f250 super
thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
edj

The construction in GA is pretty much completed. It is 3 lane each way through the entire state. There is still some work going on with highway side rails in some areas. There were no delays at all on Jan 1st.

edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #3

thanks edj. we are really looking forward to are trip, we are actually going all the way to the keys this year (some really warm weather for a change). with all the snow the south has been getting I am NOT looking forward to the long drive thru it all.
scott
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I-95

When we travel from Ma. to Fl. or back we take the mountain route. No tolls heading south, miss 99% traffic, very scenic, lots of places to stay and good services. you can pick up 95 in Richmont or Georgia.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Where you headed in the Keys Scott? Warm here yesterday and today. 80 yesterday and forecasting 79 today We are in Marathon.

I don't think the construction ever stops in Ga but it was a little better last month on the way.

On thing I suggest to anyone traveling through Fl is if you don't already have one get a Sun Pass. Some of the toll plazas you can zoom through at 55 while others wait in line to pay. If you stay anywhere in northern Fl pick up a "mini" at a drug store and call it in in the AM and it will work later that night or in the afternoon it will be good next day. They are the size of a credit card and stick to your window. $4.99 with a $5 toll credit so the price is right.

Florida's turnpike is much nicer to travel in the middle of the night but this year we went through in the afternoon and it wasn't to bad.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't rule out the Tapan Zee and 287 down to NJ. We just did that again this year. Really is not bad provided you stay away from peak times. Tapan Zee is toll free south bound
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Rt. 15 in PA can be a bear with the traffic lights. I usually stay on I-81 to I-66 and then take Virgina RT. 17 to Fredricksburg.

I second the SunPass suggestion in FL. You need to buy it at a store (CVS has them) and then go online with a credit card to activate.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Rt. 15 in PA can be a bear with the traffic lights. I usually stay on I-81 to I-66 and then take Virgina RT. 17 to Fredricksburg.

I second the SunPass suggestion in FL. You need to buy it at a store (CVS has them) and then go online with a credit card to activate.
X2 on the RT 15. We live here in Mechanicsburg, PA where most pick up RT 15 from I-81. Once you are South of us you will hit traffic the closer you get to the "Beltway" near DC. This is a nice route for an early Saturday or Sunday morning departure, but during the week stick to 81, 66 then 17.

Safe travels!
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
Hello All. we are going to be heading south on 95 on the 1st of FEB. any thing we should know about? like construction or anything like that.
is the construction still down in Georgia?
also we will be going around NYC via 84 (the bridge above the Tapensee) down to harrisburg then 15 to somewhere above Richmond. any comments on this plan?
We are travelling in a 30 ft 5th wheel pulled by a f250 super
thanks in advance
jan 9 sunday at 10:30 am went threw atlanta georgia no problem very little trafic
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If you stay on 95 through Florida be careful in the construction near Palm Bay/Orlando area. Terrible accident in that area last week involving 6 vehicles and it was the third accident in that section of road that day.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
If you stay on 95 through Florida be careful in the construction near Palm Bay/Orlando area. Terrible accident in that area last week involving 6 vehicles and it was the third accident in that section of road that day.
Just a bit of correction.... The accident was at a Palm Bay exit in an area of I-95 that is being widened. The exit was closed and a vehicle slowed down looking for it. The two vehicles behind him slowed, but the 18-wheeler behind them did not stop and ran over the last vehicle killing the two occupants.

It was nowhere near Orlando. Palm Bay is a bit south of Melbourne.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #12

thanks for all the great advice. we will be staying at the Jolly roger campground in marathon, fl on the 28th of feb.
the rt down I81 to I-66 and then to rt 17 looks good except for going 100miles west than I would like. Is I-81 up in elevation? would that rt be more snow worthy?
and your right about rt 15, very nice drive if there is no traffic.
and we will look into the sunpass great idea!! tnx Scott
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsandy View Post
thanks for all the great advice. we will be staying at the Jolly roger campground in marathon, fl on the 28th of feb.
the rt down I81 to I-66 and then to rt 17 looks good except for going 100miles west than I would like. Is I-81 up in elevation? would that rt be more snow worthy?
and your right about rt 15, very nice drive if there is no traffic.
and we will look into the sunpass great idea!! tnx Scott
I don't know how I-81 is doing now. When we came at the end of December, I-81 was a better route with no snow. All the snow was along the coast on I-95. We go down I-81 to the bottom of VA, pick up I-77 going south to Columbia, SC. There we pick up I-26 east back to I-95. The mileage is a bit higher this route, but the time is about the same due to the slower speeds/traffic on State Route 17 in VA.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #14

EDJ, that sounds like it might be a snowy wat to go especially this year with all the snow and ice the southeast has been gettin lately. we are just now getting a heavy snow. whats this I hear about the tappin zee tolls only on the north bound lanes??