Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

I D TEN T Question

I am relatively new to the Diesel Pusher world. I have used Walmart in my home town to get fuel and Flying J while on the road because they have an RV slot that is easy to get into. The question I have for the forum is about fuel from other truck stops, Petro, TA, Pilot and Loves. I do not think I can get my Bus with my car behind into the auto lanes. Do these companys have any problems with motorhomes going into the truck lanes to fuel? Sams and Walmart in most areas are not easy to use, so I am just askin. Thanks Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have used all the ones you named at one time or another. As long as you play by the rules no one seems to mind us using the truck pumps. Just remember to pull forward after filling before going back in to the station so as to not hold up anyone behind you.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Flash View Post
I am relatively new to the Diesel Pusher world. I have used Walmart in my home town to get fuel and Flying J while on the road because they have an RV slot that is easy to get into. The question I have for the forum is about fuel from other truck stops, Petro, TA, Pilot and Loves. I do not think I can get my Bus with my car behind into the auto lanes. Do these companys have any problems with motorhomes going into the truck lanes to fuel? Sams and Walmart in most areas are not easy to use, so I am just askin. Thanks Bill
In my experience, there are few problems with MH's filling up in the truck lanes at travel centers. One inconvenience is that they seldom have a true pay at the pump for non truckers so you have to go inside first to either prepay or leave a credit card. The only other problem I ran into was in Indiana or Ohio (forget which) where there is some state law that prevents RVer's from using the high speed truck pumps (they are like 10 gal/min), supposedly for safety reasons. So I had to go to the regular lanes. But to answer your questions, unless you are in a state that prohibits you from using the high speed trucker pumps, those travel centers will all welcome you in "truck" lanes. Just follow the same protocol as truckers, such as move your MH forward and away from the pump when you are finished before you go inside so that you don't cause truckers who are lined up behind you to wait unnecessarily for you to move so they can start filling.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the world of large DPs... You've already discovered one of the challenges.

All good advice so far. In fact I haven't yet run into the restrictions on the high speed pumps so I'll have to watch out for that myself.

I will add one other thing to be aware of. In some states, truckers pay so kind of commercial tax at the pump so the prices at the "RV pump" will be lower than those at the truck islands. You may still take on fuel there but you'll pay a higher price unnecessarily.

Above all, stay out of the way of the OTR truckers by following their protocol of pulling forward after fueling. These guys are out there making a living and we don't need to be slowing them down and gather ill will.

good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally there are two things.

When I pull into a regular auto-type station (Which is where I get most of my fuel) will will try to get on the "outside" pump. (Say the station has 10 pumps, then I will try for 1 or 10) as these tend to be the easiest to get in/out of.

Most stations know RVers do this so if they have Diesel (I drive a gasser) the outside islands have "D" as well as Gasoline.

As for using the truck lanes... The only "Issue" I am aware of is this:

IN some states.. the taxes are different on Trucks and "Cars" (Which includes RV's) The reason for this is the politically popular attitude of "Soak the businessman" Truckers are businessmen. so let's soak them with higher taxes, After all a 40,000 pound truck does more damage to the roads than a 4,000 car so let's soak them and make 'me pay.. Never mind that that additional tax ends up as part of the price tage when you buy the product he is hauling, or a product made from or by what he is hauling, in the store. Let's soak the truckers.

So you end up paying more for fuel at the truck island.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

In Az. there is a tax difference for non-commercial diesel If you go to a small town station and get Diesel ask for the Non commercial form to sign and get the difference back.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks JRNoll.. AZ, is, In fact, one of the states where I KNOW there is a difference (I do not name them as, well.. I'd hate to either include one or miss one in error)
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just make sure that you're not putting "dyed diesel" in your tank.
It exists for off-road use only- things like farm equipment, etc.
It's a lot cheaper since it's exempt from road taxes, but it's easily recognizable by law enforcement.
That's why the dye's there!
Staters here have little dipsticks for checking and they're not afraid to use them.
I understand there are hefty fines if they find the dyed stuff in your tank.

Francesca
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #9

And the dye will not come out in one or 2 tank fills. It takes quit a few tanks to get the dye out.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
PFJ (Pilot/Flying J) has an RV discount card that also starts the pump in the truck lane.

Pull in, swipe the PFJ Frequent Fueler card, pump diesel fuel, finish and go inside and pay with a $.03 (cent) discount, cash or credit.

I have never had any problem at the truck pumps and that is all I will use. Being 65 feet long with the TOAD attached does not give me enough wiggle room in the "front" of the store RV lanes. Having driven commercially, I know to follow the rules. Fuel up, pull forward, go in and pay, go out and move. If you want to stay, pull into a slot somewhere in the parking lot.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote