Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #1

We are planning a cross country trip from Beaufort, SC to Lemoore, CA starting in October. Originally we planned to head south to Jacksonville, FL and Tallahassee, FL to visit family, then head west on I10. I know that I10 is closed around New Orleans, so is there any alternate routes heading west? Is I10 passable at all in that area? How about I10 to I12 around New Orleans, then I10 again the rest of the way? Or, should I just plan to head back up to I20 and totally forget about I10 after FL?

Rob

W20
Robnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #2

You might want to try the following three web-sites:

http://www.lsp.org/roadandincident.nsf/roadclosures
http://www.mdot.state.ms.us/
http://www.dot.state.al.us/closures/

as they will probably be kept up-to-date.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #3

I-10 is good through Biloxi,MS as I drove it on Tuesday. Down to 2 lanes in Pensacola, due to bridge work.

RT90 bridge over St. Louis Bay has had it's deck completely ripped off by Katrina. Might be a year before it's open. Bay St. Louis and Waveland are total disasters. I am posting this from the Wal-Mart parking lot in Waveland, which is not open. The contents are a total loss. They are pushing everything out with skid steer loaders and hauling it to the landfill. I am working radio communications with the Florida State Emergency Response Team. What a mess here. Going to take years for these towns to recover. Much worse than New Orleans.

'72 31' Airstream SLY
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the info Pick...good luck down there!

Rob

W20
Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 AM   #5

....so, is I-10 "open" from Houston to Jacksonville, anybody?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #6

Ok...I guess I have to repost this question due to recent events. I'll be headed south along I10 early next month. Has anyone been through that area on 10?

Rob

W20
Old 10-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #7

robnfl

I'm also interested in this subject. We will be heading back to TX after visiting relatives in Florida. Trying to make a decision on the Florida visit or just cut down from VA where we are currently located. I can answer your question about I10-I12. We always take I-12 across the top of Lake Ponchatrain and rejoin I-10 around Baton Rouge. I'm concerned about being able to find campgrounds that are not filled with emergency workers and locals lucky enough to have an rv to live in while their homes are repaired. We can bookdock but I'm afraid I'm spoiled and like to have hook-ups especially when it is hot and I need to run the air-conditioning. We can use the generator but hate to use the additional fuel due to supply. This is not a "relative run" that can be postponed due to one being 91 and the other 93. There may not be a future time.

W8WKE & KC8TFN
Sharon & Jim Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
As of this morning, here is the I-10 status in Louisiana:

Here's what Mississippi is saying:
Quote:
MDOT Re-Opens Damaged I-10 in Record Time

Emergency Repairs Completed in a Mere 20 Days

Jackson, Miss., Friday, September 30, 2005"”Only 20 days after work began to repair the damaged section of I-10 in Jackson County, the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will re-open the eastbound lanes of the I-10 bridge crossing the Pascagoula River...an infrastructure that was one of the many victims of Hurricane Katrina's fury.

On Saturday, October 1, 2005 at 2:00 p.m., Federal Highway Administration officials and Governor Haley Barbour will join Transportation Commissioner Wayne Brown and MDOT officials to commemorate the re-opening of the highly traveled corridor in the Gulf Coast region. These officials will be the first to drive vehicles across the newly repaired bridge.

In an effort to return Mississippi's transportation system to its full capacity, repairs to the eastbound lanes of I-10 were completed in an incredible 20 days by the contractor, T.L. Wallace of Columbia, Miss. During the construction, motorists traveling eastbound were routed to one lane of I-10 westbound for a distance of three miles.

"We are greatly appreciative to the contractor and MDOT employees for expediting this vital project,"¯ said MDOT Director, Butch Brown. "I am proud to say that we are one of the first states to re-open a damaged Interstate in less than 20 days. Our speedy response to this challenge demonstrates MDOT's commitment to uphold the transportation system in Mississippi!"¯

For more information on this event, please call the MDOT External Affairs Division at (601) 359-7017 or visit the web site at http://www.goMDOT.com for more information.
Alabama DOT doesn't list any closures for I-10 as of this morning.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 AM   #9

Thanks for the info Rusty!

In light of the recent events I think we'll just play it safe and head up to I20 from Tally. I'm looking at 27/84/231/80 to I20, or 98 in Mobile to 49 to 20 in Jackson. Anyone have any experience with traveling in this area? Which would be the best route from Tally to I20?

Rob

W20
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have used the 98 to 49 to 20 route about 20 times, and continue to think this is the best way to get to I-20 from the Florida panhandle.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
We have used the 98 to 49 to 20 route about 20 times, and continue to think this is the best way to get to I-20 from the Florida panhandle.
Thanks Terry. We're in Tallahassee now and will head out early tomorrow. We'll probably take 98/49 to 20, it looks like the most direct route. I hope the traffic around Mobile isn't too bad tomorrow. Well, it's a holiday, so it should be light.

Rob

W20