Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A month and a half is not long enough if you spend any time at different places.

I remember back in the early 80's DW's Mother and Father had a Class C. We took off with them for about 3 weeks. Went 1200 miles and never were more than 300 miles from home.

I'd like to see your itinerary.

Happy trails. If you get down around the Galveston area, give a holler. We are always up for lunch or supper (dinner to some)

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Well we're definitely doing the whirlwind tour, but hoping to get a good taste of the place. Our itinerary is going to be as follows:

- boondocking at Sea Rim SP
- boondocking North of Houston in Sam Houston forest (got some friends to visit there)
- drive down to Padre Island with a stop along the way (still undecided). Boondock at the beach.
- On to San Antonio
- On to Austin (Mckinney SP)
- Stop at Llano River SP
- Over to Davis Mountain SP

We looked at Galveston, but unfortunately they were all booked (getting too close to spring break) so had to route around it. We'll have to keep that one on the list for next time we tour TX (no doubt we'll be back).

We looove BBQ and TexMex so if anyone has favs in any of those areas (esp. Austin and San Antonio) I'd love recommendations!

Nina

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hang on just a minute...Sam Houston National Forest is in our back yard. PM me when you get within a few days and I'll make sure you are treated to some good Tex-Mex. Wayne M might even show up. Don't tell anybody because we try to keep this a secret but Cagle Campground in the forest is $10 with full 50 amp hookup with the Golden age Pass. Got a pretty good BBQ place in mind also. Thank God you're going to Forth Davis State Park. Now y'all don't be a stranger...you hear.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Message sent! I'll let ya know when we get close. Nina
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Well we're definitely doing the whirlwind tour, but hoping to get a good taste of the place. Our itinerary is going to be as follows:

- boondocking at Sea Rim SP
- boondocking North of Houston in Sam Houston forest (got some friends to visit there)
- drive down to Padre Island with a stop along the way (still undecided). Boondock at the beach.
- On to San Antonio
- On to Austin (Mckinney SP)
- Stop at Llano River SP
- Over to Davis Mountain SP

We looked at Galveston, but unfortunately they were all booked (getting too close to spring break) so had to route around it. We'll have to keep that one on the list for next time we tour TX (no doubt we'll be back).

We looove BBQ and TexMex so if anyone has favs in any of those areas (esp. Austin and San Antonio) I'd love recommendations!

Nina
Asking for recommendations for Tex-Mex or BBQ in Texas is something like asking "Is the sky blue?" There is no BAD BBQ in Texas although based on your itinerary I'd recommend above all others Coopers BBQ in Llano. Austin and San Antone are LOADED with Tex-Mex places and I really can't recommend one over another, there are all wonderful. It really depends on your tastes. I prefer non-chain type places although to exclude them really doesn't make sense. Ma and Pa type places that are pretty bare bones places are my favorites. Both San Antone and Austin will be great for food.

If I remember correctly, you have children. Please be sure when in Austin to visit the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum (also an IMAX is there). Even without children, we go a couple times a year. Of course the River Walk in San Antone is wonderful and a can't miss.

So many places, so much to do. When you live here as I do, you tend to not think of all the great places we have and things to do so hopefully you will get many responses from those who have experienced Texas and can offer more suggestions. Oh, the kids will love McKinney Falls SP as they will get a chance to see a LOT of deer running around.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #48
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Jim stated, we might just show up around Ft. Sam. It's only about 80 miles from here. In Texas talk, it's only an hour and 15 minutes. That's not even a day trip, just a visit trip.

I don't know where you checked in Galveston, but besides Galveston there are a bunch of RV parks within 20 miles. Besides, leaving Galveston you would travel down the "Blue Water Highway," heading south.

Do you have a date when you will be at Ft. Sam?

Yep! Great BBQ and TexMex food in this area also. Not to even mention "Kelley's."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Cheers for the recommendations! We're without kids (unless you count the 3 pets) but will still enjoy all the wildlife looking forward to it!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
As Jim stated, we might just show up around Ft. Sam. It's only about 80 miles from here. In Texas talk, it's only an hour and 15 minutes. That's not even a day trip, just a visit trip.

I don't know where you checked in Galveston, but besides Galveston there are a bunch of RV parks within 20 miles. Besides, leaving Galveston you would travel down the "Blue Water Highway," heading south.

Do you have a date when you will be at Ft. Sam?

Yep! Great BBQ and TexMex food in this area also. Not to even mention "Kelley's."
Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Are you still on pain killers? I reread their itinerary multiple times and they never made mention of FORT Sam. They did mention Sam Houston National Forest.

Kellys...where's that?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Actually my question was prompted by akadeadeye's comment earlier in this thread regarding an RV park in San Antonio that he considered in a high crime area. Believe me i've been around and have no qualms at all about TX (really looking forward to our trip there!) but I also know that every big city has areas that are best to avoid, so I was trying to get a gauge on that. We'll be boondocking there at Calaveras Lake. Sorry...should have made that clearer. Didn't mean to imply anything bad!

And yes..definitely going to Austin. Planning a month and a half to visit your beautiful state. Very excited to go!
Nina,

You will be fine down around Calaveras or Braunig Lakes which are just out of the city on the southeast side. I have never visited the park but I know some groups have rallies there. IH-37 is convenient for trips into the city if you like. Just go north on IH37, exit Commerce St., left to Alamo St., take a right, and two blocks later wave to Davy Crockett.

The park I commented on is in an urban area and I would not stay there. The park itself is probably fine, but the surrounding areas are very risky for taking walks, etc. Actually, San Antonio does not have an abundance of RV parks so it is always hard to recommend one.

If your itinerary includes what is known as the Hill Country, there is a great little City park at the fairgrounds in Mason, TX. We have stayed there a few times. From here you can visit a lot of other Hill Country places. April is a wonderful time to be in this area as all the wildflowers are near their peak. Last year it was around April 24.

Enjoy the Riverwalk. Eat at Boudro's and tell Richard, the owner, Don and DR sent you.

Regarding our State Parks holding sites for walk-ins, I do not know. However, apparently the COE parks do. I recently made some reservations for one in the Waco area for a family group to meet over July 4, and the site would not let me block up the seven sites I needed. It let me reserve 5 of them, and then the "available" icon turned to a "walk-in only" icon.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

Don
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #52

Just now saw your itinerary.

In San Antonio don't eat mexican food on the Riverwalk. There are no good mexican food restaurants there. Oh, they might be OK for the gringo tourist, but the good stuff is elsewhere.

Try Mi Tierra Restaurant in Market Square (western edge of downtown).....don't go much farther west. They have a Mexican bakery that is the real McCoy. Or, Pico de Gallo Restaurant in this same general area. It is a little bit west of Mi Tierra, but still safe. Los Barrios Restaurant on Blanco Road, north of downtown about 3 miles. Great little place. Some people recommend La Fogata Restaurant in this Blanco Rd. area, and it used to be good, but Los Barrios is better.

There are about 3,700 more mexican food restaurants if none of these work.

The questionable areas of San Antonio are the east side, south side (although this is real mixed), and west side.

Don
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Akadeadeye - thanks for all the extra recommendations! Wonderful. I am already drooling in anticipation of getting there.

Wayne M and Elkhartjim - looks like we'll be getting to Sam Houston this coming Tues and seeing my friends on Wed. Unfortunately it's going to be a short stop with us heading out again by Fri or Sat, but lemme know if you want to meet up....maybe Thurs ? I'll PM you my number.

By the way boondocking down here at Sea Rim SP, TX and just loving it. The hurricane destroyed most of the park infrastructure so the rangers are allowing free camping (for the moment). So we got full beach view and only 2 other RVers here. All free! I highly recommend it.

Nina
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For our south of border cravings we always enjoy a meal or two at Chuy's in San Antonio. They're located just south of 1604 on the east side (north bound) frontage road of 231 at
18008 San Pedro Avenue. I'll have to try some of the above recommendations next time we're out there.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote