Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
I40 West Road Conditions

We are heading to Williams Az soon on I40 out of Ft. Smith AR , does anyone know of any road construction or detours,we are towing a 39ft FW , and any suggestions on good rv parks before we get to Williams AZ ?Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
We are heading to Williams Az soon on I40 out of Ft. Smith AR , does anyone know of any road construction or detours,we are towing a 39ft FW , and any suggestions on good rv parks before we get to Williams AZ ?Thanks in advance.
We did that drive back in April - I40 through Arkansas was a horrible drive, but that shouldn't be problem since Ft Smith is pretty much the western edge. Through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico the road was generally well-maintained. Arizona had sections that were pretty bad, and other sections that were pretty good. The biggest issues we had back in April had to do with dealing with the wind!

As for stops along the way - we stopped at Elk Creek RV Park | Call 1-888-478-6552 or 580-225-2865 in Elk City Oklahoma - that's about a 5 hour drive from Ft Smith. It's a clean, friendly park right off the interstate and costs around $30 per night. If you stay there I highly recommend a short drive to the Prairie Fire Steak House - awesome steaks and a friendly staff and clientele!

Our next stop was in Amarillo - at https://amarilloranch.com/ again, right off the interstate and about $40 per night. It is only a short drive - about 3 hours - but once there you can spend some time at the Jack Sisemore RV Museum - a free museum that has some unique RVs from the past. And there's always the Big Texan Steak Ranch about a mile away - they actually have a shuttle that will take you there and return you!

Next stop was another 5 hour day, to http://www.americanrvpark.com/ in Albuquerque. A nice overnight stop at around $40 a night.

From there to Williams is another long drive - 6 or 7 hours. Back in April we encountered strong winds from about Amarillo all the way back into California and were glad to get home!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Alan, we are going to Kingman Az after we see Grand Canyon , is there any steep grades on I-40 that I need to be concern with & any rv parks in Kingman , we will be staying their a few days to see some sites , before heading home.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Alan, we are going to Kingman Az after we see Grand Canyon , is there any steep grades on I-40 that I need to be concern with & any rv parks in Kingman , we will be staying their a few days to see some sites , before heading home.
I 40 is Terrible between Ash Fork & Kingman, not from Construction but LACK of maintenance, real rough, run the left lane when you can, no long steep grades to worry about, there are also places to dry camp in kingman
Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We went through Kingman back in late April - we ended up parked at the truck stop right off the freeway when the wind grabbed our slide topper and tore it half-way off the motorhome! Spent about 2 hours there waiting for CoachNet to find us a repair guy who was willing to climb up on our roof in 30 MPH winds to get us road-worthy again. So, I don't know of any RV parks in the area.

As for grades - Albuquerque is pretty much the high point on the road - it's a long, almost imperceptible, climb heading west out of Texas all the way to Albuquerque, then you go down, and up, and down again heading through Arizona but there's no real steep grades to contend with.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The highest points along that route will be Continental Divide, NM and Flagstaff, AZ areas at about 7200 ft. Easy grades east of Williams, AZ. The bad road and steep grades are between Williams and Kingman.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Dennis K , how bad are the roads between Williams and kingman and is there very steep grades , we are going to kingman as our last stop to park FW and check out area to Hoover dam , and original London bridge. Any suggestions on rv parks at kingman go 3 day stay?
Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Dennis K , how bad are the roads between Williams and kingman and is there very steep grades , we are going to kingman as our last stop to park FW and check out area to Hoover dam , and original London bridge. Any suggestions on rv parks at kingman go 3 day stay?
Roads are "worn out" bad as for "steep" grades...I guess it's a matter of opinion, mine, not any grades to be concerned with
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That section of I-40 is poor, lots of holes and rough spots, just use the left lane often. You will drop in elevation about 3500 feet but no grades more than 6%. You should have no problem.
I can't recommend any RV parks in Kingman as I have never looked at any of them. Be advised that it's hot in this area, over 100 every day and 112 in Havasu by next Thursday.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Here are a few parks in the Kingman area. Kingman, AZ Campground Reviews - Best of Kingman Camping - RV Park Reviews, Located right off I-40 behind a truck stop about 10 miles east of Kingman. I've also stayed at the Zuni park and it is OK. Close to Walmart and other stores.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote