Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

I64 in VA.

Travelling from Binghamton, NY to Fla. The route I was given was I81 to I 64 to I95. What is the terrain of the I64 road? Is it steep mountain where I have to worry about breaking? I have a 36' gas motor home and towing a car behind. Thanks for your input.
lopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There is a downhill when coming off the Blue Ridge and it is a heavy fog area.

Instead of taking I64, you should turn off on I66 East and take that to Rt. 17 South. That will shave about 60 miles off your trip and bring you to I-95 in Fredricksburg.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Is SR 17 two lanes with lights?
lopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

I disagree. 64 Is a good road. The other route is fine terrain -wise but traffic in the Fredericksburg area its awful.
If you take 64, take 288 over to 95 rather than going through Richmond. I have driven all these roads in my old 32' holiday rambler in the past 2 months.
Gypsy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #5

17 is relatively smooth traveling until you get to fredricksburg and then it can become a congested nightmare. I've also never been a big fan of I-95 from there to richmond. I've taken I-81 to 64 and there are a couple big hills but I'd rather do them than face the traffic
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I64 is a good road but not worth a 60 mile detour.

Rt. 17 is a 2 lane road that sometimes goes to 4 lanes. Coming southbound, you don't hit a light until a left turn in Ovid. There are more lights as you approach Fredricksburg but traffic keeps moving. Traffic depends on what time you hit the I-95 interchange.

There is a WalMart on Rt. 17 just before you get to I-95 if you need a place to stop.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #7

I travel to Key West every fall. The least city traffic route is south on I-81 to I-77 south. You'll miss all the DC mess and Richmond too. The new by-pass around Charlotte is great. Then I-26 from Colombia to I-95 just before Charleston.

One long grade on I-77 at the VA/NC state line but no worse than many others. If clear the view is gorgeous. Just start down at about 45-50 and gear down. Not curvy and good road. Mt. Airy is at the bottom of the grade, Andy Griffith's home town.

The grade on I-64 from Skyline Drive east toward Charlottesville is much longer and lots more traffic.

The traffic bypassing DC is far more harrowing than taking 81 down to 77.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I64 is a good road but not worth a 60 mile detour.

Rt. 17 is a 2 lane road that sometimes goes to 4 lanes. Coming southbound, you don't hit a light until a left turn in Ovid. There are more lights as you approach Fredricksburg but traffic keeps moving. Traffic depends on what time you hit the I-95 interchange.

There is a WalMart on Rt. 17 just before you get to I-95 if you need a place to stop.

I second this route. We travel from Harrisburg PA South a lot and always take this route.

We left last Thursday and were headed to Tampa to pick up the new coach and I decided to go 81 to 77 & 95 for a change of scenery since we just headed North from Florida about a week ago; MISTAKE - 81 is so narrow and many more hills then running down 95.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote