Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

I65 or I 75 South to Florida?

Here is our dilemma.
We travel in a 41 ft motorhome towing a 30 ft trailer. Yes, I know it is big but the cops don't seem to bother us about length anyways. For the past 3 years we have taken I75 south from Detroit to Moore Haven Florida without any real issues but it has been suggested that we try I65 for a change.
We like adventure but safety and ease of travel (read: overnight sites) are a major concern. And of course traffic congestion and construction. I75 is a constant construction site it seems.

Does anybody have any insights to the I65 route and or suggestions to make this trip without a lot of pitfalls? Time is not a major concern.

Thanks in advance
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Here is our dilemma.
We travel in a 41 ft motorhome towing a 30 ft trailer. Yes, I know it is big but the cops don't seem to bother us about length anyways. For the past 3 years we have taken I75 south from Detroit to Moore Haven Florida without any real issues but it has been suggested that we try I65 for a change.
We like adventure but safety and ease of travel (read: overnight sites) are a major concern. And of course traffic congestion and construction. I75 is a constant construction site it seems.

Does anybody have any insights to the I65 route and or suggestions to make this trip without a lot of pitfalls? Time is not a major concern.

Thanks in advance
Let me first say WELCOME to iRV2.com We're glad you joined and posted.

My first reaction to your question was "why would you want to go to Mobile, AL to get to Florida" ? but I decided to take a closer look. Here is a useful site: Interstate 65 Description - Roadnow It still looks a bit out of your way, but you did say you were not is a hurry-so "maybe" the change of scenery would make up for that. Taking I-75 thru Atlanta isn't much fun, for sure.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We're full! Go around.

Seriously, as screwed up as our traffic is, if you come through after hours or early morning, you should be fine.

I-65 is a very nice drive. Good roads, not a lot of traffic.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
We're full! Go around.

Seriously, as screwed up as our traffic is, if you come through after hours or early morning, you should be fine.

I-65 is a very nice drive. Good roads, not a lot of traffic.
I'm thinking that is a picture of the "downtown connector" which is the brilliantly conceived idea of merging two major N/S interstate highways together so they go thru the middle of a major metropolis. I do notice the absence of "most" of the trucks, but I also believe a picture of the "go around" would show where they all went.

As suggested, timing is everything when passing thru the Capital of Ga and the home of the Ramblin Wrecks from GT.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

Construction Delay

I would continue to travel I-75 as you have in the past. Last week on Friday about noon there was 1 1/2 hour delay getting across the bridge at Louisville. The delay started north of New Albany; therefore, you couldn't take the bypass to the west and pick up I-64 to go back east to Louisville.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
From south central Ohio, I like I-65 for my snowbird trip. You don't need to worry about bridges in downtown Louisville. From Cincinnati , take 1-71 down towards Louisville. Then take the Henry Patterson Expressway ( I-264 i think ) around to I-65 south by the airport. If Nashville is a convenient stopping place, there are several Campgrounds with large spaces on Music Valley Drive, ( A KOA and a Yogi ). Nashville can be painful to drive through, but nowhere as near as bad as Atlanta. No mountains, and not much traffic this way. In south Alabama, I cut over on US 231 to Ozark, and then down to I-10.
Happy Travels,
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used to live in Michigan and thus traveled I-75 for 20 years to Florida. We now live in Milwaukee, so we take I-65. Construction is everywhere in the country, but if you left that aside, 65 is way better, we travel in a 41ft. MH plus toad, so not quite as long as you are, but size anywhere along 65 is not a problem. I find the traffic is much less, and once you get to Nashville, the 2 hour drive east (24E) to Chattanooga is nice, and less mountain driving than 75. Atlanta is alway an issue, as you know, it just has to be timed properly. There are plenty of campgrounds along the way, but while we are in transit, we pretty much stay at Wal-Mart. All in all, I like 65 better. Doesn't hurt to try it once, and then see which is better for you.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have gone through Atlanta on 75 dozens of times with no problems. Just aim for non-rush hour traffic and use the HOV lane. As for I 65. I traveled it one time North bound and I will never travel that road by choice again. I thought it was going to shake the MH apart and loosen every filling in my teeth. Never again!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #9

Where the three interstates merge in Nashville can often be a parking lot so I would stick with I-75
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the information. Never did have much trouble going through Atlanta. Have gone through in the morning and the middle of the day without incident. Rush hour can be interesting though.
Was not sure if we could use the HOV lanes as one person suggested being a bus, etc.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
We travel in a 41 ft motorhome towing a 30 ft trailer.

Yes, I know it is big but the cops don't seem to bother us about length anyways.

Most cops don't know a thing about the 'big truck' rules & reg's. For most States the limit for a 2 vehicle combo like yours the limit is 65'.

I'd be pretty concerned about a bored employee at a weigh scale staring out the window and seeing you go by and deciding to give you the once over.

A family friend had to leave (and pay to have it towed to a storage yard) his 5'er in Georgia after an observant LEO noticed he was over-weight for his 'regular' drivers licence. He had to return to Ontario, upgrade his license and then go back down to pick up his trailer.

If you are over length you are parked until you can fix the problem, if that's at weigh scale on the side of the Interstate, too bad.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #12

Not to contemplate things any more but I have done I-77 as a change up to I-75. Just something else to consider.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I guess it might depend on when you leave. Elevation along I65 is lower than I75. Less chance of freezing roads. At least than has been our experience.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

I-65 and I-75 are both pretty good roads if you avoid major cities during rush hours.

However if you are truly looking for a "change of scenery", you aren't likely to see much different on I-65 vrs I-75 unless you get at least a few miles off of the interstate! Must rest stops, fuel stops and freeway interchanges are pretty much the same no matter what interstate you are on!

For a true change of scenery, and if time is really no object, choose "no interstates or freeways" in your GPS menu and really see America!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida