Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I70 vs. I80 in early December

We are going to be traveling to MT in early December, and I am wondering if it is better to take I80 to I15 or I70 to I15 at that time of the year. Normally we travel to MT during the summer and go through SD on I90, but I am not taking chances on getting stopped by roads being closed because of wind and snow.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Of the 3 interstates, I-90 is the flattest. I-70 is the most crowded, and I-80 in Wyoming is often closed for snow in winter. I-90 is also probably the shortest route of the 3 choices. I'd watch the weather predictions and always plan a place to hunker down if need be. Keep fuel tanks full on your travels.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you BFlinn181 for the insight on I80, I was afraid that I80 would be like I90, closed due to wind and snow quite frequently. I70 will be our choice.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
Thank you BFlinn181 for the insight on I80, I was afraid that I80 would be like I90, closed due to wind and snow quite frequently. I70 will be our choice.
Colorado has a great website for checking on road conditions:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

As BFlinn already stated, take winter precautions seriously and plan accordingly. Travel safely!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

Like others have stated , fill diesel and propane tank .
Start late morning when the road starts to warm up and stop early evening . Don't make fixed plans just go with the conditions and enjoy the trip
Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it comes to east/west Freeways in December, Smaller numbers (40/10) are better than bigger numbers (80/90) in fact the last time I took I-80 (Thanksgiving weekend 2006) About a day behind me the road was closed due to SNOW!!!!!! I mean big time SNOW, In Nebraska they were air dropping hay to the cows in the pasture kind of SNOW.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
While I said i-80 is often closed for snow, I meant for a matter of hours while the clear it without the bother of stranded cars and trucks slowing plowing. All 3 E-W interstates clean up pretty quickly. Unless you've got them, you could encounter chain requirements on some of the snowy mountain areas.
I-70 has congested traffic issues at Kansas City, Denver, and the mountains due to skiers. As I said, I-80 is flattest route except W of Laramie. To get to Montana you eventually have to go North, that's why my choice would probably be I-80.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
We are going to be traveling to MT in early December, and I am wondering if it is better to take I80 to I15 or I70 to I15 at that time of the year. Normally we travel to MT during the summer and go through SD on I90, but I am not taking chances on getting stopped by roads being closed because of wind and snow.
I would do I-40 to Santa Rosa, NM. At that point I would still have options depending on the weather. I could go up I-25 or continue on I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ and then take 89 up to I-15.

On I-70/I-80 they will sand and salt the roads before it snows/ices and during and after. The salt will make the biggest mess of the motorhome and toad that you ever saw.

I would stay south as long as possible then make the beeline north as weather permits.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When it comes to east/west Freeways in December, Smaller numbers (40/10) are better than bigger numbers (80/90) in fact the last time I took I-80 (Thanksgiving weekend 2006) About a day behind me the road was closed due to SNOW!!!!!! I mean big time SNOW, In Nebraska they were air dropping hay to the cows in the pasture kind of SNOW.
I agree. When we did Des Moines, IA to Borrego Springs, CA in a late December, I dropped down as fast as I could to I-20/I-10 and then enjoyed a nice, leisurely drive on over to CA. When we left Des Moines we had a big snowstorm and then bitter cold moving in the next day and it chased us down to Tulsa. After that we had beautiful weather the rest of the way.