Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

I80 Past Chicago

So I think we're going to head west on I80 passing Chicago on our way to South Dakota (badlands, mt rushmore, etc). By the time we get to Chicago it will probably be after 11:00 PM on an thursday... I would think the traffic should be fairly easy by that time of night, but maybe not. I've been through NYC and DC late at night with traffic backed up for hours. If this were the case we would probably opt to head west on 70 (way down south) through columbus and indianapolis... it's an extra 100 miles or so, but might save us some headache in Chicago?

Just looking for some experienced RVers to offer up some advice...

cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Many years ago I was in Chicago on business and the traffic downtown at midnight was bumper to bumper-- just like it was 7 am !! I was shocked !!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

I80 passes the Chicagoland area well south of the Metro area. Not to say that traffic won't be heavy.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should not have a problem at that time of night, or even mid day. Avoid it during 6-9am and 3-7 pm and you should be OK.
That is unless there's road construction.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't say where you're coming from, but if from Kentucky/Tennesse and points south, avoid I-65 through Indiana at all costs. It is the worst road I've ever traveled and and so bad it's dangerous in my opinion. I had a good sized chunk of concrete from a pothole rise up and bite my motorhome, which is now in the shop getting some fibreglass repairs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

baraff is completely correct...avoid 65 at all costs. And I80 should be fine at that time of day unless there is road construction.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the input!

We will be coming from near the junction of I-79 and I-80 in Western PA. If we cut across to Indianapolis on 70, we'll probably shoot up 74 to Davenport instead of 65... it's a more direct route anyways, then over to Omaha, then north from there.

I'd like to take 80 all the way across to Omaha... it would save over 100 miles, which is about 2 hours of travel time and a few bucks in fuel. I just don't want to get stuck in Chicago traffic.

I guess if we decide to take 80 all the way across, we just plan on committing to making it past chicago on the first leg of the trip before we stop. Since we're leaving in the afternoon, this will allow us to pass by Chicago late at night when it's not as busy, and then not have to worry about rush hour traffic in the morning... maybe make it to Ottawa by 1:30 AM and then sleep in the following morning just a little bit... We'll see... thanks again!

cheers
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #8

I think I 80 in Indiana is a toll road. You also have to pay a toll in Illinois, as I 80 is also I 90. Traffic in Chicago area, on I 80, is not that bad. I 74, from Indianapolis to I 80 in Davenport, is an easy route. May want to trade the extra fuel for the toll costs, and do that route. Otherwise, I would not let the traffic on I 80 deter you.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Piker,

My son is leaving tomorrow AM for a road trip from NJ to San Fran. He should hit I-80 in IL tomorrow night or Sunday. I will find out the latest construction info.

If you have a smartphone download Google Maps. It has great up to the minute traffic info.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
I think I 80 in Indiana is a toll road. You also have to pay a toll in Illinois, as I 80 is also I 90. Traffic in Chicago area, on I 80, is not that bad. I 74, from Indianapolis to I 80 in Davenport, is an easy route. May want to trade the extra fuel for the toll costs, and do that route. Otherwise, I would not let the traffic on I 80 deter you.
Great info! What do you think the cost of the tolls might be?

cheers
Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Piker,

My son is leaving tomorrow AM for a road trip from NJ to San Fran. He should hit I-80 in IL tomorrow night or Sunday. I will find out the latest construction info.

If you have a smartphone download Google Maps. It has great up to the minute traffic info.
Thanks!

cheers
Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #12

Here is a link to the Indiana Toll Road Rates; https://www.ezpassin.com/tollRates.do

And Ohio Rates; Ohio Turnpike Commission - Toll Calculator Axle Classification 2012

And this Link might be of interest;
http://pws.trafficwise.org/ipws/nw/

I have driven that to my parents house in Gary, Ind many a time (from DC to Gary) and from PA into Ohio you will hit the Ohio Turnpike (I80/90) into Indiana and until around Portage Indiana near Gary. Then it continues on into the Chicago Skyway (I90), and 80 continues non-toll into Ill I80/I94. I80 will continue West and I94 North to Wisconson or also known as the Tr-State Toll Road. 80/94 is always under construction but that late it should be good unless they schedule the construction due to summer in the later hours. If I wanted to avoid the Tolls I would do the I80 to I76 to I71 to I70 in Columbus and continue west that way. Columbus/Indy would be a lot easier and with the tolls, probably compensate for the some of the extra fuel.

Bill....
Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

I think Merc669 has the right idea. I80 is a MAJOR East/West truck route. Once you get west of the Mississippi, it clears out nicely. So, avoiding the heavy traffic, and those God awful tolls, would be the right choice.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
My son drove through 80 in IL last night and no troubles. He did have EZPass to go through the tolls.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote