Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I81 or I95 south?

We will be heading south to florida from NY this February. Taking I81 seems to a more direct route compared to I95. I have driven 95 as far as South Carolina but not 81. My concern is that 81 may have some mountain grades compared to 95. Has anyone taken both these routes and provide a comparison?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

I drove both from PA to SC. My preference is I-81 because traffic seems less congested and fewer intersections with major cities, i.e Baltimore, D.C., Richmond. Of course, I-81 won't take you to Florida.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

I-81 does have some grades in southern VA and northeastern TN but I had no problems. Depending where you turn east, some of these will be eliminated.

I do suggest avoiding the Baltimore, DC areas; if the traffic congestion doesn't give you indigestion, all of the construction will.

In February, part of your trip planning could be the weather. I-95 might be a few degrees warmer and less chance of snow/ice unless a northeaster is in the forecast.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just came down I 81 from Maryland with no problems in a 36 foot overloaded gas burner.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And yes I have been down I 95 and it is rough and extremely crowded around D. C.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have traveled both many times. Since you asked, in our opinion I-81 is a much better road with less traffic overall.

All interstates are limited to a maximum grade of 6%, so that should not be an issue.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #7

I will never drive I95 from Richmond VA through NY ever again. Teh congestion is just to difficult expecially if you are towing anything and need the extra room to change lanes. The grades on I 81 through VA to I 77 in North Carolina are not going to be any worse than the Bridge from NJ to Maryland on I95, maybe even better. I always take I 80 to I 81 to I77 to I 26 to I 95 in GA.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Many of us take the 81 to I-66 to VA Rt. 17 route that brings you to Fredericksburg, VA on I-95.

You still have to deal with Richmond, but you avoid Philly, Baltimore and DC.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

In Harrisburg, Pa, take I-83 south through York, pick up 695 south to us 301 south . Lots less traffic and puts you just north of Richmond. Avoids Washington completely
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Many of us take the 81 to I-66 to VA Rt. 17 route that brings you to Fredericksburg, VA on I-95.

You still have to deal with Richmond, but you avoid Philly, Baltimore and DC.
That is the route we take whenever we travel to NY. Fredericksburg to south of Richmond is not that bad. Depending on the time of day we go straight through Richmond on 95 or take the 295 bypass.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Many of us take the 81 to I-66 to VA Rt. 17 route that brings you to Fredericksburg, VA on I-95. You still have to deal with Richmond, but you avoid Philly, Baltimore and DC.
This is the route we took when traveling to Myrtle Beach many times. It's a pretty ride through Virginia. Going through Richmond wasn't too bad.

I didn't think about the weather! Sounds like 81 to 77 is good if the weather sounds ok. If not we can take 95. Or...find a place to wait it out.