Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

I95 south Thru Connecticut

I will be traveling from Warwick RI to Wilmington NC on a Sunday in mid September in a 40DP with F150 toad.

How will the traffic and road condition be on I95 south thru Connecticut???

Any suggestions for a better route??

Thanks

Rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless you just love traffic and tolls, I'd avoid I-95 anywhere north of Richmond, VA. Either get west onto I-84, to I-81 in PA, or in Connecticut from I-95 take I-287 W around greater NYC. At I-78W go into PA until you meet up with I-81, take that South until I-77 E , then I-74 to Winston-Salem. I-40 then runs right into Wilmington, NC.

Much more restful and prettier drive, no tolls or major cities.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I prefer I/84 to I/95 but we have taken I/95 to avoid snow and ice farther inland (I/84) in the winter and it hasn't been too bad. We would take it to I/287 into NY then NJ to I/78 across PA to I/81. It just more intense driving at the best.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Really a piece of cake done many times, the trick is to hit the GW Cross Bronx Exp before 2pm

Best is 5-7 AM to be near the bridge.

But even the worst cast is 90 minuets of hard traffic.

I'll take 95 over 81 anyday

the other issue you have is Baltimore tunnel , yes you can go thru it!

DC take the beltway 495 east signs say Richmond, be there 9 am to 12 pm

But
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Last time I went through Baltimore, signs said no propane in either tunnel. Period. Also, the OP is traveling in a DP with a toad, 4 axles. What's the toll through NYC, NJ Turnpike, Delaware River Bridge, toll road in MD? It really starts to add up. Why not go around the megapolis from NYC to Washington? I've driven a bus through the region, no fun on I-95 in NYC, Phila, Wilmington, Baltimore, or especially Washington Beltway. Vehicles constantly pulling into my braking space in front of me, passing on both sides, etc.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Last time I went through Baltimore, signs said no propane in either tunnel. Period. .
Sorry but that's incorrect.

it really relates to loose tanks not permanent, been thru over 50 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
no fun on I-95 in NYC, Phila, Wilmington, Baltimore, or especially Washington Beltway. Vehicles constantly pulling into my braking space in front of me, passing on both sides, etc.
It may depend on your driving ability and level of comfort, no different than any other city traffic
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Sorry but that's incorrect.

it really relates to loose tanks not permanent, been thru over 50 times

It may depend on your driving ability and level of comfort, no different than any other city traffic
I've driven buses since I was 19, Driven a bus on the Staten Island Ferry and up the length of Manhattan. My driving ability is pretty good, experience driving a bus through Chicago many times, also driven in Australia and New Zealand. (right hand drive) I still would prefer highways other than I-95 through NYC, Phila, Baltimore, Washington. I believe most folks in an RV would. Not looking for bragging rights, just safe, lower tension travel than inner city highways, especially when alternate routes are available, without tolls.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Jimbo you've been thru the tunnel 50 times. Have you ever been stopped. Propane even in a MH is not permitted.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
For the OP. If you want a nice adventure consider going down the Garden State Pkwy. and take the ferry to Lewes DE. It is not expensive, it will break up the trip and you save on tolls and fuel. The ferry is easy to take. I've done it many times. Then take Hwy 13 down the Del-Marva pennisula over the bay bridge tunnel to Norfolk Then take Rt 58 to Emporia VA. where you'll get back on I-95. It's a great way to miss all the big cities and their traffic. Plus it's a nice road and great vistas.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Jimbo you've been thru the tunnel 50 times. Have you ever been stopped. Propane even in a MH is not permitted.

LP-GAS PROHIBITED:

Maryland/Baltimore: Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695.

New York/East River: Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel.

New York and New Jersey/Hudson River: Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.

Tony Di, I've done that route but not in an RV. Aren't tolls on the Delaware ferry pretty steep for an RV with toad? Garden State also isn't free, nor the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge Tunnel.

Bob & Donna